Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Default If your letter didn't go through, would you be sent a notice about it?

Hmmm...I was wondering. If you write to an inmate, and they don't get their mail for whatever reasons, does the facility alert you? Another words, if you write him/her a letter, and the mail room decides something's not right with your letter, and the letter doesn't reach the inmate--are you alerted?

The reason I ask is because last week I sent a letter out to my mentee about what happened regarding his visiting. I came to visit him more than two weeks ago and he refused to come down because he was worried about missing a visit with his sister. So when I wrote him back, I explained he had three approved visits for the week (mine being the approved 3rd visit) and I also sent him a copy of the letter that I wrote to the visiting lieutenant. It's dated from back in March. Would this be an issue? Would it be considered contraband? And if it were--would the facility let me know?

I'm sure he's received the letter, but I want to know if this is something I shouldn't do in the future. Also, when I called the facility and asked about mail, they said mail isn't read, it's only checked for contraband. From anyone's experience---it this true? Is it accurate?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! Keep writing to your loved ones!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 PM

Default if your letter didn't go through would you be sent a notice about it

My boyfriend is in Oregon,and anytime I send something that get's violated they send it back along with paperwork with an explanation as to why it was violated.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Oh okay. I figured something like that would happen, but I just wanted to be sure. I have a feeling he has it, because I'm sure it would've came back to me already. (I could be wrong on that). If I mail him a letter, depending on the day I mail it, it reaches the facility the next day. Same with him: if a letter he writes gets sent out 2/27 or 2/28, then I get it the next day: on 3/1. I've been checking my mail to see if the letter came back to me...so right now, I'm hoping for the best. Thanks!

Last edited by FleetingDreams; 04-26-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Babygirl

if something happens though and it gets lost, you wont get it back or a notice saying he didnt get it, but i have only ever had 1 letter get returned to me and it wasnt really even a letter it was a legal document.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:36 AM

I can speak for the PA prison system. There was a letter sent back to me because I referenced a summons for the Grand Jury. The prison sent the letter back to me along with an explanation.

I believe most other prisons would do something similar to this.

cf
Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Thanks everyrone, for your help.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

You would have gotten the letter back with and explanation and he would have gotten a notice that he had mail that was refused. They do read or scan the letters at some prisons.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:24 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Thanked 5,480 Times in 3,267 Posts

I've had the experience where they haven't given my husband things I have mailed and they never sent it back to me. I tried sending him a copy of a legal document, I knew I couldn't send it regular mail but decided to give it a try. It's been month's and he hasn't recieved it and I never got it back.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 PM
livin love our way

I am not sure where your guy is... but I can tell you that FL will notify him of the letter (or whatever) being rejected and for what reason. Then they mail it back to the sender explaining why it was rejected. But some things do get lost in the US Postal service... or the prison mail room.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Thanked 5,480 Times in 3,267 Posts

My husband is in CA. I've had things returned before with a stamp on the letter saying why it was being returned. But the prison he's at now just takes things out and dosen't return them.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
SeatroutGotHooked!!!!!!!!

mail gets returned to sender...
just like the elvis song...
and a forth,
and all the way up-to a thousand."
"You complete the team"
Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM

My mentee is in Suffolk County, New York. I haven't heard from him. I think he got the letter, or at least I'm hoping that he did. If I don't hear from him within two weeks, then I'll write him again. I wasn't sure if a copy of the letter I wrote to the visiting lieutenant would be considered as contraband, and that from there, they'd deny him the letter. Well, either way, thank you everyone for your help. I'm sure it must be difficult for all of you to have a letter returned. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 PM
<3

the only time i was sent a notice, was when steven transfered to another facility and they couldn't forward his mail on to him. other then that i haven't recieved a 'rejection' letter yet