Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 AM

Question Can someone help me understand Michigan's security levels?

My brother is in St. Louis Correctional Facility as a level IV inmate. My girlfriend's brother, who is also in prison, says that he can get transferred to level III in 30-45 days. However, my neighbor, who is a retired corrections officer from one of the facilities in Jackson (not sure which one) says there is no level III anymore, but since my brother is an SO (falsely accused, we're appealing), he's apparently not eligible for level II? So basically, my question is- is he stuck at level VI, or can he get to a lower security level at some point? He's never been in the justice system before and has a degree in mechanical engineering, so he should be able to get a lower security rating if he is allowed to. Can someone please clarify this for me?

I do have a second concern, as well. He's in the hole right now for fighting (he's been being harassed, either because he's new or because of the offense, I'm not sure which), and very, very stupidly agreed to pay his cellmate to "protect" him, opening him up for huge amounts of extortion. Gf's brother advised him to stay in solitary, and he'll get a transfer to another facility. That makes absolutely no sense to me, because I don't know why they'd transfer him instead of just leaving him in there. Can someone clarify this point, or does anyone have any advice? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 AM

Thanked 1,130 Times in 741 Posts

Michigan goes by a point system. I can find out for sure when I talk to my husband later. But the longer hes in and if he stays out of trouble his points go down and so will his level. But since you said he was recently in a fight his points will not be going down. He has no choice but to stay in protective custody because of the fight and yes they automatically move him to another prison because of the fight.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smit3119 View Post
My brother is in St. Louis Correctional Facility as a level IV inmate. My girlfriend's brother, who is also in prison, says that he can get transferred to level III in 30-45 days. However, my neighbor, who is a retired corrections officer from one of the facilities in Jackson (not sure which one) says there is no level III anymore, but since my brother is an SO (falsely accused, we're appealing), he's apparently not eligible for level II? So basically, my question is- is he stuck at level VI, or can he get to a lower security level at some point? He's never been in the justice system before and has a degree in mechanical engineering, so he should be able to get a lower security rating if he is allowed to. Can someone please clarify this for me?

I do have a second concern, as well. He's in the hole right now for fighting (he's been being harassed, either because he's new or because of the offense, I'm not sure which), and very, very stupidly agreed to pay his cellmate to "protect" him, opening him up for huge amounts of extortion. Gf's brother advised him to stay in solitary, and he'll get a transfer to another facility. That makes absolutely no sense to me, because I don't know why they'd transfer him instead of just leaving him in there. Can someone clarify this point, or does anyone have any advice? Thank you.
Yes, there isn't a level 3. Transfers from security levels or from one facility to another is completely up to the inmate's counselor assigned to him by the facility, who then follows set guidelines.

Upon entering the prison system for the first (and only) time, my son was placed in a security level 4 for no other reason than he was given so much time. And even though in quarantine, he tested as a security level 1.

He was eligible to move down to a level 2 after doing 2 years in the level 4. But his counselor was on leave for one reason or another for almost a year, so he sat in the level 4 for a total of 3 years. We've heard for awhile that him staying put for a full year when he was eligible to "ride out", was unprecedented... but it happened. He was finally moved to a level 2 but stayed there for only 2 weeks. After meeting with the counselor there, he was moved to a level 1.

I have heard that inmates can use staying in the hole as leverage to get moved. But they won't get dropped security levels that way. I'm sorry to say, your brother getting a ticket (the circumstances don't matter, and I am assuming since he was put in the hole) means he won't be dropped security levels any time soon.

I suggest he meets with his counselor and arranges to either get moved to a different level 4 and this time don't allow himself to get extorted. Or, at the very least, get moved to a different cell block. If he goes back to where he has allowed himself to be used, he will have a very hard time.

My son has now been out of level 4 for 4 months now and he is starting to sound more and more like himself. I realize now that for the entire 3 years he was in a level 4, he was in survival mode.

I'm sorry to sound so bleak and I am sorry your brother is in prison and in a level 4. But he is likely to be at that level for awhile and he is going to need your support... moral and monetarily.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaH View Post
Yes, there isn't a level 3. Transfers from security levels or from one facility to another is completely up to the inmate's counselor assigned to him by the facility, who then follows set guidelines.

Upon entering the prison system for the first (and only) time, my son was placed in a security level 4 for no other reason than he was given so much time. And even though in quarantine, he tested as a security level 1.

He was eligible to move down to a level 2 after doing 2 years in the level 4. But his counselor was on leave for one reason or another for almost a year, so he sat in the level 4 for a total of 3 years. We've heard for awhile that him staying put for a full year when he was eligible to "ride out", was unprecedented... but it happened. He was finally moved to a level 2 but stayed there for only 2 weeks. After meeting with the counselor there, he was moved to a level 1.

I have heard that inmates can use staying in the hole as leverage to get moved. But they won't get dropped security levels that way. I'm sorry to say, your brother getting a ticket (the circumstances don't matter, and I am assuming since he was put in the hole) means he won't be dropped security levels any time soon.

I suggest he meets with his counselor and arranges to either get moved to a different level 4 and this time don't allow himself to get extorted. Or, at the very least, get moved to a different cell block. If he goes back to where he has allowed himself to be used, he will have a very hard time.

My son has now been out of level 4 for 4 months now and he is starting to sound more and more like himself. I realize now that for the entire 3 years he was in a level 4, he was in survival mode.

I'm sorry to sound so bleak and I am sorry your brother is in prison and in a level 4. But he is likely to be at that level for awhile and he is going to need your support... moral and monetarily.
Thank you for the information. He didn't get a ticket yet, there's a hearing this week. I will pass this information along. Thank you very much again.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:18 PM

In order for your points to be lowered and possibly move down a level you have to be ticket free for 6 months from the date you received the ticket. My boyfriend was a level 2 at St. Louis and got into a fight and they automatically put him up to level 4 and rode him out to Carson City. He just became eligible last Monday to move back down to level 2. Best of luck to you and yours involved in the situation. Hang in there as hard as it may be.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:23 PM

Levels are
1-7 level 1
8-12 level 2
13-24 or 25 level 4 and higher is level 5.
99% chance they will move him no matter what. When your in an altercation they don't want to put you back where you were just in case the other party has friends who will fight with him as well. They transfer you out where noone knows what happened and you start new. They would never risk him going back where he was being a SO for some else to hurt him. He must remain ticket free or fight free for a period of time before he will go down a level I hope he is ok and I hope he doesn't receive a ticket. My husband said if he didn't fight back he would have a good chance at not getting one. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited by nygirl17; 09-12-2016 at 01:25 PM..
Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 AM

OK I know to some of you this may be common sense but this is the first time Ive dated someone in Prison, so my question is what is the difference in levels of prison for example Level 1 and Level 4? And does the level they are in effect chances of them getting out early?

Does Levels have anything to do with the possibility of your LO getting out?

Last edited by patchouli; 03-18-2017 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Merged threads, then merged 2 consecutive posts rather than removing one
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM

The levels are determined by their severity of crime and how well they think they will play with others. I don't think it has anything to with them getting out. That all depends on them and how well they behave and do their classes etc. I can ask my husband today for sure and see what he says. But no-one and I repeat no-one gets out early in Michigan. Ever!!!

Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT19 View Post
OK I know to some of you this may be common sense but this is the first time Ive dated someone in Prison, so my question is what is the difference in levels of prison for example Level 1 and Level 4? And does the level they are in effect chances of them getting out early?

Does Levels have anything to do with the possibility of your LO getting out?
Levels do not reflect if they get released earlier. We have minimum/mandatory sentencing in Michigan, so they have to at least serve their minimum sentence and see the parole board for chance of release. My LO was level 4 when he went in, is now level 2 and will be eligible for level 1 in 2 more years. He still has over10 years before eligible for parole. Hope this helps explain.