Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,361 Times in 4,630 Posts
Default BOP Director Lappin charged with DUII

Washington (CNN) -- The director of the federal Bureau of Prisons has apologized to his staff for a February DUI arrest, which came to light after his announcement last Friday that he was retiring.
Harley Lappin had made no mention in his retirement statement Friday about his brush with the law in Annapolis, Maryland, after 3 a.m. on February 26.
But in a statement to his staff Tuesday, Lappin acknowledged the charges against him and offered no excuses.
"It is with great humility that I offer my most sincere apology to each and every one of you for failing to lead by example," Lappin wrote in the statement, which was obtained by CNN.
"I recently allowed a lapse in my judgment to occur, giving rise to potential embarrassment to the agency, the Department of Justice and my position of Director. I was arrested for driving under the influence. I immediately notified my supervisor, as all of us are required to do, and the matter will proceed through the courts," Lappin wrote.

Link to rest of article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/...r.dui.apology/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
friend4ever2him (10-26-2011), mortimersmith (04-01-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 AM
Donation Award 

That was quite a large rug they all swept that under...
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
HappilyHisMrs (04-01-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Donation Award 

And apparently he was charged with three offenses - DUII, Reckless Driving and Failure to Obey a Traffic Device.

And it doesn't end there - nor did he learn his lesson, despite his regret. This article says he was ticketed for speeding on March 20th - going 69 mph in a 50 zone.

http://www.mainjustice.com/2011/03/3...iving-charges/
Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 AM
Donation Award 

Eric Holder's buddies are batting a thousand in the past month. Read this article about an FBI agent assigned to Holder's detail, accused of killing someone while driving drunk.

http://www.mainjustice.com/2011/02/1...g-death/print/
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM

Lappin definitely needs to go!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,263 Posts

He's gone, resigned before the news hit "for family reasons."
Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Donation Award 

Lappin’s memo to staff is reprinted in full below:

Message from the Director
Topic: Personal Matter
March 29, 2011
Harley G. Lappin, Director
Bureau of Prisons

During my tenure as Director I have enjoyed communicating with you through these Messages to Staff on a variety of important issues. Today, the information is personal and especially difficult to share. Nevertheless, I appreciate the opportunity to address you directly.

I recently allowed a lapse in my judgment to occur, giving rise to potential embarrassment to the agency, the Department of Justice, and my position of Director. I was arrested for driving under the influence. I immediately notified my supervisor, as all of us are required to do, and the matter will proceed through the courts.

As I have said over the years, our behavior as staff extends beyond the confines of our work, because our affiliation with the Bureau of Prisons remains with us regardless of where we are or what we are doing. And as law enforcement officers we have a particular responsibility to respect the rule of law. It is with great humility that I offer my most sincere apology to each and every one of you for failing to lead by example. I extend my sincere gratitude to all of you for the support you have shown me during my tenure as Director and I am confident that through you, the agency will continue to do great things in the years ahead.

I hope to thank many of you personally, prior to my retirement on May 7, 2011, for the wonderful work you do in support of the Bureau of Prisons.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/30/ou...#ixzz1IDCkmSWR
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Donation Award 

FedCure's Statement:

Harley G.Lappin, director since 2003, retires 07 May 2011 after 25 years of dedicated service with the bureau. FedCURE offers accolades for his ability to have managed the bureau in keeping with its mission statement during his tenure during the bureau's most challenging times. We are particularity thankful for Director Lappin establishing an unprecedented working relationship with FedCURE to liaison with the bureau on inmate, policy and legislative issues. No doubt our working relationship during this past decade has brought about positive change and resolutions on a myriad of inmate, policy and legislative issues, including saving inmate lives. Director Lappin deserves credit for blazing that trail with FedCURE. We hope his successor will continue our working relationship with the same exuberance, accessibility and friendliness as Director Lappin.

FedCURE.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,186 Times in 10,375 Posts

If the arrest was in DC, maybe Harley will get a first hand experience in one of his own wonderful prisons. It won't happen but it's fun to think about.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Funny, I never thought of the BOP as law enforcement. More like "pain enforcement"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
Lappin’s memo to staff is reprinted in full below:

Message from the Director
Topic: Personal Matter
March 29, 2011
Harley G. Lappin, Director
Bureau of Prisons

During my tenure as Director I have enjoyed communicating with you through these Messages to Staff on a variety of important issues. Today, the information is personal and especially difficult to share. Nevertheless, I appreciate the opportunity to address you directly.

I recently allowed a lapse in my judgment to occur, giving rise to potential embarrassment to the agency, the Department of Justice, and my position of Director. I was arrested for driving under the influence. I immediately notified my supervisor, as all of us are required to do, and the matter will proceed through the courts.

As I have said over the years, our behavior as staff extends beyond the confines of our work, because our affiliation with the Bureau of Prisons remains with us regardless of where we are or what we are doing. And as law enforcement officers we have a particular responsibility to respect the rule of law. It is with great humility that I offer my most sincere apology to each and every one of you for failing to lead by example. I extend my sincere gratitude to all of you for the support you have shown me during my tenure as Director and I am confident that through you, the agency will continue to do great things in the years ahead.

I hope to thank many of you personally, prior to my retirement on May 7, 2011, for the wonderful work you do in support of the Bureau of Prisons.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/30/ou...#ixzz1IDCkmSWR
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Can't even express all the different emotions I'm feeling about this........
Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM

There's many charges. Follow the link, put in his name and let the rest default for the search. Aint Karma grand!!!

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us...uirySearch.jis

Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM

smh....

In my best Flavor Flav voice: Wwwwoooooowwwww
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolong View Post
There's many charges. Follow the link, put in his name and let the rest default for the search. Aint Karma grand!!!

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us...uirySearch.jis
It says no electronic records exist or they are not viewable.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Donation Award 

Viewable for me.

In February - around 4:00 a.m.

1) DRIVING VEHICLE WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL
2) DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL PER SE
3) DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL
4) NEGLIGENT DRIVING VEHICLE IN CARELESS AND IMPRUDENT MANNER ENDANGERING PROPERTY, LIFE AND PERSON
5)RECKLESS DRIVING VEHICLE IN WANTON AND WILLFUL DISREGARD FOR SAFETY OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY
6)DRIVER FAILURE TO OBEY PROPERLY PLACED TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICE INSTRUCTIONS

Then in March:
DRIVING VEH. ON HWY. AT SPEED EXCEEDING LIMIT
krogersrn (04-02-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Bureau of Prisons director faces DUI, related charges

By Matt Zapotosky, Wednesday, March 30, 7:57 PM

The soon-to-be retired director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons was arrested and charged with DUI and related counts in late February after an Anne Arundel County police officer spotted him driving erratically near his home in Annapolis, according to a police report.
Harley Lappin, 55, was pulled over Feb. 26 after an Anne Arundel police officer watched him nearly swerve into a police speed-enforcement trailer on Arundel on the Bay Road and a parked car on Headwater Road, according to a police report. Lappin’s eyes were bloodshot, his speech was slurred and his breath smelled of alcohol, according to the report. In field sobriety tests, he was unable to walk a straight line taking heel-to-toe steps, and he could not maintain his balance standing on one foot, the report said.
The incident was first reported by Main Justice.
Late last week, Lappin announced that he would retire as director of the Bureau of Prisons effective May 7. Traci Billingsley, a bureau spokeswoman, said Lappin had made the retirement decision “some months ago, long before the incident.” She said that Lappin informed his supervisors about the incident immediately after it happened and that he sent a message to his staff members Tuesday apologizing for “failing to lead by example.”
In a news release about Lappin’s retirement, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. praised the director’s efforts to “address prison overcrowding and expand prisoner development and rehabilitation programs.” Holder made no mention of the drunken-driving charges.
In a statement after news of the charges broke, Justice Department spokesman Matthew Miller said, “While he shares Director Lappin’s regret for the incident that occurred, the Attorney General believes the Director has served with great integrity and professionalism over a long career at the Bureau of Prisons.”
Lappin is scheduled to appear in court June 16, court records show.

zapotoskym@washpost.com
Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Donation Award 

Everyone's going to make sure he gets his government pension.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Donation Award 

From the BOP Newsletter:

Director Harley G. Lappin to Retire

On March 25, Director Harley G. Lappin announced his retirement (effective May 7), saying, “It has been my honor to serve with all of the dedicated, hardworking, public servants in the Bureau over the course of my career. The highlight of each of my assignments was the people I worked with each and every day. You are the backbone of this agency. You are the reason for our success.” A successor has not yet been named.

Of Director Lappin’s upcoming retirement,
Attorney General Eric Holder said, “During my tenure as both Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General, it has been a privilege to work closely with Director Harley Lappin. For more than a quarter of a century, including eight years as Director, his service to the Bureau of Prisons has helped improve public safety, strengthen our corrections systems, and advance the Justice Department’s most critical goals. Throughout his career, Director Lappin has lent his invaluable insights and expertise to address prison overcrowding and expand prisoner
development and rehabilitation programs. I am grateful for Director Lappin’s wise counsel, as well as his dedication to the Justice Department.”

Director Lappin received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Forensic Studies from Indiana University and a Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice and Correctional Administration from Kent State University. He began his more than 25-year BOP career as a Case Manager at FCI Texarkana, Texas, in 1985. He went on to hold positions of increasing responsibility including Regional Central Inmate Monitoring Administrator, Western Region; Camp Administrator, FCI Jesup; Associate Warden, FMC Carville; and Administrator, Program Review Division, Central Office, before being named Warden at FCI Butner (Medium) in 1996. Mr. Lappin became Warden at USP Terre Haute in 1998.

In July 2001, he became the Mid-Atlantic Regional Director with responsibility for 16 institutions (including two correctional complexes) and three community corrections offices covering a seven-state area. As chairman of the Bureau’s Management Reengineering Team and the “Forward Thinking” workgroup, he spearheaded innovative initiatives to help plan for the Bureau’s future.
In April 2003, Mr. Lappin became the Bureau’s 7th Director. Since then, the Bureau’s inmate population has grown from 168,000 to over 210,000, and the number of institutions has increased from 102 to 116. Despite facing significant budget challenges, Director Lappin expanded and improved inmate programs, championed the Inmate Skills Development Initiative which has significantly enhanced the Bureau’s efforts to effectively prepare inmates for successful reentry to the community, and supported the Department of Justice’s initiatives involving immigration, drug and weapons prosecutions, and the war on terror.

During his career, the Director has received many awards, including the Associate Warden of the Year Award, South Central Region (1992); the Bureau’s Excellence in Prison Management Award (2000); and the Attorney General's Award for Excellence in Management in 2001. He received the Presidential Rank Award of Meritorious Executive in 2004, and in 2010, he received the American Correctional Association’s (ACA) E. R. Cass Award for Correctional Achievement – the highest honor bestowed by ACA. This award acknowledged Director Lappin’s many contributions to ACA and the field of corrections over the course of his career.

An extraordinarily skilled leader who is highly regarded by his peers and subordinates alike, Director Lappin’s experience and knowledge about the agency’s culture and operations served him well during his tenure. The Bureau wishes the Director and his family all the best in his retirement. His contributions to the Bureau and the field of corrections have been extensive and he will be missed.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 PM

Any idea who will replace him?
In the part of this universe that we know there is great injustice, and often the good suffer, and often the wicked prosper, and one hardly knows which of those is the more annoying.- Bertrand Russell
Old 05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Donation Award 

there's a lot of talk about that - whether they will hire from within the BOP or hire someone outside. Traditionally, it's been from within but come Congressional Reps and other are pushing for an outsider - maybe a former Correctional Director from Illinois. From within, there is talk of an assistant Regional Director, and also about some women who used to a psychologist and works for the BOP. Kathleen Hawk, former BOP Director, had been a psychologist. I don't think the BOP rank and file liked her much. She actually instituted a lot of restrictions on the inmates during her reign.
FrustratedGirl (05-08-2011)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Harley's only regret is that he didn't figure this out sooner. No prison or jail, a federal "law enforcement" pension, and he instantly added a few millions of dollars to his net worth when he counted all of the stock options he was given by his new employer, a private prison company. Who said crime doesn't pay?

He once walked through Petersburg Medium, and I thought the President was there because of the massive security detail that followed him everywhere (at least everywhere where no prisoners were allowed). His bop replacements were just as bad.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanked 9,738 Times in 5,496 Posts

A first DWI is typically a misdemeanor. It isn't pen time. Poor judgment, sure...

And, oooooohhhh....a speeding ticket. I've been on plenty of highways where 19 over is impeding the flow of traffic. I was DEFINITELY well over that for some of the 500+ miles I logged today...and I was getting passed in some areas like I was standing still.

Even if it had been a felony, it was not in the performance of his duties so there would have been zero excuse to strip him of pension benefits. It would be no different than ANY OTHER pension-eligible individual who leaves employment following an arrest. I have a couple of clients right now who are paying fees through their pension. Hell, even OJ collected pension benefits while in custody...
Old 07-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

But everyone who has worked their entire careers to qualify for a Social Security retirement pension has their entire pension blocked for any month with even one day spent in any jail or prison.

I agree that it is nasty, especially for the family members of the "prisoner", to steal something that was earned over a long period of years. Being locked up by either Lapin or Sheriff Joe should require a mandatory upward sentencing departure when they are the ones caught violating the laws. They earned it by being so nasty to everyone under their power.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:11 PM

Thanked 9,738 Times in 5,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
But everyone who has worked their entire careers to qualify for a Social Security retirement pension has their entire pension blocked for any month with even one day spent in any jail or prison.

I agree that it is nasty, especially for the family members of the "prisoner", to steal something that was earned over a long period of years. Being locked up by either Lapin or Sheriff Joe should require a mandatory upward sentencing departure when they are the ones caught violating the laws. They earned it by being so nasty to everyone under their power.
Employment pensions, even for federal employees, are NOT the same as an SSI benefit. It is precisely the same, in theory, as what I have from the State at the appropriate point in my life. It is a benefit earned through years of service, not gifted by the government for a pittance of payments made each month.

What you want is no different than what some wanted for Ken Anderson after the Michael Morton case. But the law is not written to allow for it, and you cannot change the law to apply to them for reasons outlined in that pesky little piece of paper we call a Constitution...

So, the bottom line is that he got a misdemeanor...big deal. He got a speeding ticket...big deal. He collected his pension...big deal. He got exactly what ANYONE ELSE with an employment-related pension would receive.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
yourself (07-31-2017)