Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MINNESOTA > Minnesota Prison & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Minnesota Prison & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Minnesota.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 AM

Question Minnesota Prisons

My boyfriend is about to enter a guilty plea that will sentence him to 5 years in a Minnesota prison. Does anyone have any knowledge on what prisons are better in Minnesota or any general information about prison life?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 PM

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "better". My husband has been in St. Cloud, then Rush City, then Moose Lake, and next were Lino Lakes (for one night, how dumb is that) and now he is in Faribault medium. So far, he had an easier time at Moose Lake, so he tells me. Rush City was AWFUL (6 men in a bunk-style dorm, very little time out of their rooms, very few jobs for such a large inmate population, and it's relatively new, and they don't have all the "kinks" worked out, so it was pretty unstructured and badly managed). In addition, the visiting was VERY strict (our son couldn't sit on his lap, we had to have our backs against the chair backs, and our feet could not touch). Moose Lake was fine, but we kept getting into trouble in visiting for our shoes touching or me putting my feet on the rung of his chair across from me--just stupid stuff, no serious trouble, either. At St. Cloud the visiting was good, but only because I live in St. Cloud and could visit often without a long tedious drive. We got in trouble once in visiting because they thought we had kissed goodbye on the mouth--and we hadn't--I swear! I would have loved it, but we didn't do it! I wish I had at least had the satisfaction of doing what I got in trouble for...

I guess all I can say is that so far, according to my husband, Moose Lake was the best of the worst. Does that make sense? Like, since he has to be there....it was the least horrible. Beware of Rush City....and good luck! PM me if you need more...
Old 06-22-2004, 01:15 PM

minnesota is bout the best state to be if u go to prison.. alot better then illinois or cali or those huge populated prisons. my guy is in rush city n from what ihear its lockdown most the time, n the phone calls are way more expensive...
good luck
Old 07-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Never Give Up!

I don't know about the "best" state system of prisons to be in.....I'd take a state that allows conjugal visits over this "can't kiss can't touch can't this can't that" bs!!!! I mean they don't even have vending machines or a bathroom break during a visit!!!!! They really go out of their way to make visits as miserable as they can.

As far as Rush City goes, well, my husband has been there 2 years now, waiting to be moved to level three which is what he was classified as when he went to processing in St. Cloud. Any day now he'll be in Lino and I HOPE it's better there for visits. But as far as life on the inside, I don't know. Eddy has adapted, and works a decent paying (by prison standards) job, and lives in the honor unit. It's relatively peaceful there (well it was til last week when a bunch of gangbangers got moved there for causing trouble in another unit...go figure, they'd put miscreants in the honor unit???) But he'll be in Lino very soon
PEACE
Kim

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life
Old 07-19-2004, 02:07 AM

"Rush City was AWFUL (6 men in a bunk-style dorm)"

Rush City does not have "multiples" or "dorms"---they are 2 man cells and ADA cells/singles.

Yes, they moved some "gang bangers" into different units, including the "honor unit" as it is sometimes referred to. It is because the prison has had some serious problems in one of the other living units----far more problems than any other unit in the facility. Staff assaults, "uprisings", large scale fights, serious inmate on inmate assaults.... They have shipped out a number of inmates to other facilities--Stillwater, Oak Park Heights, St. Cloud to try and alleviate the problem. They have placed some others in more mellow units in the hopes that the older inmates---late 30s and older, are able to mellow the younger inmates out. The Honor Unit has a high percentage of men who've been in the system for a long time, lifers and older men who are doing the best time that they can and expect others to do the same.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:24 AM

My husband was IN Rush City, in one of these bunk-style rooms, when he FIRST got there--it may have been a temporary arrangement, I do not know. Administration's answer was that they were "ironing out" some of the problems, many caused by it's "newness" and overcrowding. It took me a few months but I was able to get my husband moved out of there by bugging enough people--including the Commissioner of Corrections and the Governor.

The "bunk style", make-shift room was some of the ammo I used to get his transfer. They wouldn't have agreed with me that it was not the best situation if it hadn't happened!

Unfortunately, he is in Faribault medium now waiting for transfer to treatment, and they are "revamping" their visiting, not for the better. A young couple a few rows away from us had their visit terminated after just 5 minutes--they thought he had touched her knee! I talked to her afterwards and she swears they were not touching. My son has been sitting on his dad's lap for 6 months and now "all of a sudden" he can't even sit beside him! It is getting out of hand. This does not foster healthy relationships outside of the prison.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:09 PM
Never Give Up!

Oh great...now they're messing with what priveleges there were. I hope the visits in Lino are better, but I'm not betting on it.

PEACE
Kim

Kim
Wife to Eddy
My Love, My Life
Old 07-23-2004, 12:59 PM

Unhappy

He decided not to plead guilty and now we have to go through a trial in September. I still love him so much. They won't even let me go and visit him in the County Jail. He is the father of my two young boys. I just want to stay in bed all of the time and cry. The county attorney said that now if he pleads the day of trial - they are going to ask for even MORE time than the five years. I just don't know how much more of this I can take!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionsinMN
He decided not to plead guilty and now we have to go through a trial in September. I still love him so much. They won't even let me go and visit him in the County Jail. He is the father of my two young boys. I just want to stay in bed all of the time and cry. The county attorney said that now if he pleads the day of trial - they are going to ask for even MORE time than the five years. I just don't know how much more of this I can take!
I'm truly sorry for what you are going through. My husband has been in St. Cloud for about 2 months now and was in County for about 4. We still don't know exactly how long he'll be gone for. The estimated release date is 10/2006, but there are other circumstances that cause questions. I understand how tough it is with young children, because I have 4 daughters~2 that are really young. Why won't they let you visit him at the County Jail?? That's so awful~I'm sorry!
I just wanted to let you know that I can relate to your feelings, because it's how I feel a lot of the time too. If it helps please feel free to PM or write me anytime. I know we all need support any time we can get it especially from someone else that knows what we are going through.

Take care and give your little ones an extra hug~I know that really helps me a lot when I'm feeling so down.

((((Hugs))))) ~Laurie

until you come home (10/23/06)

<!-- / message -->