Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:56 AM

thank you.
Advice appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

Dansalways (i love that)
I had a Dan also (36YRS TILL DEATH)
my brother got to keep his 300 cash, his glasses, phone and addresses.A ring and nothing else. He droped his wallett in my purse when we drove up to the FCI.
He was not treated like that at all, The man was very nice to me and our nephew, who went with us to self surrender.
It could be a week before he calls, my brother didnt get to call for over 2 weeks. Just remember this too shall pass. I wish you both the best. Hang TUFF. Pray, write.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:35 PM

Don't forget money. You'll need it, unfortunately.

$70 a month for the phone if you plan on using all your minutes
$60 for tennis shoes if you don't want to wear your steel-toed boots all the time
$35-$50 for sweats if you don't want to wear your uniform all the time

Money for food from the commisary ever once in a while (having a GOOD meal or snack can go a long way toward your morale) money for stamps, etc.

Keep in mind you will at most make $25 a month for your first 6-8 months at most camps. They'll also take $25 a quarter from your for fine payments if you have any
Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't know when I have to self surrender or where I am going yet.. still playing the waiting game . I was sentenced to 33 months. My question may seem a little crazy to some I have piercings (facial) and I was just curious if they will make me take them out as well. My fiance is currently in state prison and he said they can purchase their "jewelry" on commisary, but that he was unsure if they can come in with them. Since mine is federal I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this? I would appreciate a pm if possible so I dont have to search back through this forum.. thanks!!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

I would say NO Only a wedding band.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:43 AM

Hello there. My name is Wayne. In about a month or so I have to surrender to the Fed Prison System. I was just wondering outside of the sleeping arrangements. What type of things should I expect as far as the inmates go. If I stay out of others way will I be alright or will trouble come looking for me?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubb C.
Hello there. My name is Wayne. In about a month or so I have to surrender to the Fed Prison System. I was just wondering outside of the sleeping arrangements. What type of things should I expect as far as the inmates go. If I stay out of others way will I be alright or will trouble come looking for me?
There is a certain inmate etiquette that you will learn in no time(using the phones etc.)I was at two camps so that is all that I know about.What level are you going in at?(camp,low,etc.)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:05 AM

i have to self surrender in a month and i want to know if i can wear my own shoes in and keep them.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Anyone know anything about the camp at Latuna?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha2
I just cam home from Coleman Camp in September. I Self Surrendered in April 2006 wearing contacts. I brought a 6 months supply with me with no problems whatsoever. I also brought a pair of cheap reaing glasses. Many of the ladies wore contacts.
Why are contacts allowed here and not across the board? I thought BOP policy applies to all facilities.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 AM

Default What do you put things in?

My husband self surrenders this Tuesday. I am putting together what I understand he can bring, ie cash, prescriptions, small address book, list of potential visitors - but what do I put all of this in? In a small manila envelope?

By the way, thanks to all of you who have been answering my myriad posts. It's really helped.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM

Thumbs down not necessarily!

the 'softcover religious text' people are supposed to be able to bring in was NOT allowed when my friend self-surrendered to fci milan last month, though allegedly he'll be able to have it if it's sent BACK to him. sort of difficult to do that when it and his clothing etc. have not been returned yet.

why the variations in what's 'allowed' when it seems these are supposed to be uniform across the board policies? his religious text was not a christian one: was THAT the issue?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myojun
the 'softcover religious text' people are supposed to be able to bring in was NOT allowed when my friend self-surrendered to fci milan last month, though allegedly he'll be able to have it if it's sent BACK to him. sort of difficult to do that when it and his clothing etc. have not been returned yet.

why the variations in what's 'allowed' when it seems these are supposed to be uniform across the board policies? his religious text was not a christian one: was THAT the issue?

There seems to be no consistency. My husband was supposed to be allowed a cheap plastic watch but they took that away from him too. I have been sending him soft cover spiritual books (not "Christian" but metaphysical) and writing "religious book" on the mailing envelope and he's gotten every single one. However, someone posted on here that she sends her loved one books of stamps and when I did that, they were sent back to me.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Donation Award 

Default what to take with you

I read that someone suggested that you take about $200 with you when you SS. If you have your number shouldn't you deposit it that way instead? What is the chance of them taking any? For whatever the reason, seems that there is a never ending list of reasons they can take a % of their inmate account. We are still waiting for SS date and letter, today is 5 weeks after sentancing.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeann1963
I read that someone suggested that you take about $200 with you when you SS. If you have your number shouldn't you deposit it that way instead? What is the chance of them taking any? For whatever the reason, seems that there is a never ending list of reasons they can take a % of their inmate account. We are still waiting for SS date and letter, today is 5 weeks after sentancing.
I decided to give my husband $300 so he could get his phone account and commissary account going right away. They did take $25 a quarter for restitution. We received our SS letter about a month after sentencing.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 PM
waiting on my love

Hi all, I know this is for self surrendering but.. My hubby is in county jail. Although he hasnt been sentenced yet (he goes to court in May), hes asking what he can take with him? I told him they wouldnt let him have his boots, that they would mail them home. I also told him to ask his lawyer if I bring a cheap pair of tennis shoes to the jail (or give them to the lawyer) he could see about changing them out. Id really hate to pay postage for a 10lb pair of oilfield boots! LOL He said he could just ask the jail to put them in his property and wear his flip flops to BOP.
Will the money on his "books" from county follow him to BOP? And will every letter/picture that he has been sent in county go with him to BOP?
Thanks Melissa

Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Donation Award 

Default How long till they send his SS stuff

My husband ss'd to morgantown on the 8th. I have not recieved his clothing, watch ect. yet. How long does this take? Should I call, let him look into it, or just keep my mouth shut and hope it turns up soon? I sent him the wall calander from his office, a magazine, they took the same issue from him when he went in, and a pocket calander. He got it all yesterday.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Federal & LASO Forums Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,121 Times in 839 Posts

They aren't geniuses there at the BOP. When my son SS'd in March '07, I got his things back in a huge box (labeled in his handwriting) about a week after he went in...steeled myself to open the box, knowing see his jacket, shoes, shirt and pants would probably make me cry. So, finally I opened it and took a deep breath and looked inside.
None of the things in it were his. Not the jacket, not the shoes, or pants, or even the underwear. WTF?
When I was able to speak with him and piece it together it turned out that he went in with another gentleman, they addressed labels for their respective boxes and gave them to the staff to apply to the boxes.
I tried twice to return the contents of the box to the other man, but the BOP isn't big on correcting their mistakes and the address the fellow gave my son wasn't right...witness protection program or something, maybe, who knows? <shrug>
So I would advise that whatever you wear or take with, you be willing to never see again.
As for $$, they wouldn't let him bring any, but I sent it via WU from the nearest town right after I dropped him off and he had it right away.
No stamps, they consider those money and if you send them, or even stamped envelopes, they'll confiscate them.
Soft cover books and mags can be sent in regular mail, all hardcover books have to come from Amazon or Barnes and Noble etc. direct.
My son wore a small, stainless steel religious medal inside. They let him keep it, but every so often some dunderhead asks him how much it cost. <shrug>
And that's it. You can't send anything else, he can't take anything else...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Donation Award 

Default ss clothes

I got his stuff about two weeks after he left. I send him a magazine every Saturday and he gets them at Mondays mail call. Letters take at least 3 days to clear. His local newpaper is another story. He gets two or three at a time three to four days apart. He took $400 cash with him, no problem. His scripts thats another story. He had our family DR write new scripts. They are not on the formulary so they changed the drugs and they are not working. He is suppose to get an appointment when they get around to it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Keeper of the Flame

Default FCI Bastrop

My family member self surrendered to FCI Bastrop yesterday. Here is what he was allowed to bring in:

1. Unlike just about every other location I've read about here, FCI Bastrop does NOT allow you to bring in money, whether cash or a money order.

2. However, also unlike most of the other places I've read about here, FCI Bastrop DOES allow you to bring in prescription medication in its original bottle.

3. You are allowed to bring in prescription glasses. You are NOT allowed to bring in prescription sun glasses.

4. You are allowed to bring in a phone/address list.

5. You are allowed to bring in legal documents (except, of course, the presentencing report).

Hope this is helpful,
llamagirl
Old 09-09-2008, 04:47 PM

Default Husband Self Surrendering next week....BUT

My husband still hasn't received his designation letter and he's due to surrender next week. We've been told by our lawyer he's expected at Fairton but how do we know if in fact that's the place?
Another thing, does anyone know first hand what I can send with him?
Cash, money order, photos, magazines, address (list of potential visitors).
What time of day do they generally expect self surrenders?
Can we do this once our children go off to school?

thanks,
Old 09-10-2008, 08:38 AM

My fiance turned himself in on 9/8/08 to FCI Ray Brook in upstate New York. I haven't heard from him yet . Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a new inmate to be able to make phone calls ? I called the prison and they told me that he should be able to make calls as long as there is money in is commissary and he has put the numbers that he is calling on his list. So i'm just wondering if the information they gave me is correct ?

Last edited by Fesskj1; 09-10-2008 at 08:40 AM..
Old 09-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Donation Award 

I hope you have heard from him. I know I heard from my Hubby the first day, he got one phone call. The next was up to him. He did call the next day after another inmate showed him how. They let him go to the commissary the first day there but neglected to tell that he needed to put money on his phone account. Had another inmate not showed him how he would have had to wait an entire week, till his next commissary visit. I remember that first phone call was extra special.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
unshakeable faith

TxRhino
I appreciate all the details re:what you can bring and the breakdown of money. I am looking for someone to tell me how to find out more about FPC atlanta, someone who has been there and can tell me about the work you do there. Its a satellite campus and far from the likes of regular "Camps". Barbed wire etc. I am dying for truthful informative information like the one you gave.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Default SFF Hazelton- do they accept cash at surrender time?

I am self-surrendering to SFF hazelton on monday 9/29-- does anyone know if they accept cash for commissary when you surrender? I called the facility and they person there said he wasn't sure.. useful eh!?