Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Soft-covered Bible Refused

You are correct to be upset.
Most places do allow in soft-covered Bibles.
It is best to send books ordered from Amazon, as they are used to setting them that way.
While I did not haver a Bible refused, I did have soft-covered books sent by family and friends refused regularly.
Bottom line: It's their sandbox and they do what they like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
A

My husband just SS today at Devens and bought a soft cover Bible with him. They REFUSED to let him bring it in!!! I thought this was allowable based on above???? They told my family that they will refuse any books coming in not from a company!! WHAT THE HELL????? I thought it was only hard cover books that must be mailed from a company??? Is there now some kind of new rule that no books can come from a family now?????
The Following User Says Thank You to Tipesh For This Useful Post:
mtmorgan (06-24-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Donation Award 

Default Anyway arount the $290/month commisary limit?

Hi,

I am wondering, is there any way around the $290/month for the commisary. If another inmate for example does not get any money, can my family western union him some money and I take most and he takes some for the "favor" of using his account, also how do you buy the stamps? out of your $290? if not where do you get the money? Can you buy 20 per day and trade them for commisary stuff?

Just asking
Corey

SS to Lewisburg FPC soon
Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 AM

Default The $290 Limit

I discuss this question in detail in my book, "Good Time - Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Going to a Federal Prison Camp But Had No One to Ask" by O. T. Seville (available from Amazon). Briefly, You can't spend above the limit. Telephone calls and non-prescription medicine don't go against the limit, so as a practical matter, you need about $500 a month.If someone in your family sends money to someone in another inmate's family who then sends money to the other inmate, that is very hard to trace and usually ignored. There is an active prison economy, and "haves" buy services from "have nots" in the manner that I described, all the time. Once you have arrived and been in prison for a few months, and bought you major necessities (mostly clothing), you will find that the monthly allowance is adequate.

While it is technically against the rules (so inmate may give something of value to any other inmate) barter in all federal prisons is alive an well and a high art form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstuff1776 View Post
Hi,

I am wondering, is there any way around the $290/month for the commisary. If another inmate for example does not get any money, can my family western union him some money and I take most and he takes some for the "favor" of using his account, also how do you buy the stamps? out of your $290? if not where do you get the money? Can you buy 20 per day and trade them for commisary stuff?

Just asking
Corey

SS to Lewisburg FPC soon
Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 AM

Shoes?
Am I going to be wearing cheap flip flops for the next 15 yrs?

:/
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 AM

Default What's Allowed, What Will You Wear

I am sorry to learn that you will have such a long bid.
In prison, they issue steel-toes work shoes which you wear during work hours, and you can but sneakers at the commissary that you wear outside of work hours. Feel free to ask any questions that you have in a private message
Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 AM

Default Getting Around $290; CPAP

Certainly there are inmates whose relatives have insufficient funds to send them money. It certainly has been known to happen that money transfers take place on the "outside" and that some inmates buy for others on the "inside." That said, once you have been in for a month or two and have your basic needs, you really don't need more than you are allowed to spend. Most transaction that take place outside on an inmates behalf relate to provision of services. For example, one inmate's family sends funds to another inmates family and they send it for the credit of their inmate. He or she then performs services, such as laundry and bed-making for the sending inmate. I know of no way to get around the limit on telephone calls. It would be dangerous and foolish to use another inmates minutes as the calls are all monitored.

By the way, designer sneakers (versace) will never be allowed in. While technically and inmate can bring in plain, clean, simple sneakers, it does not happen in practice. The ones in the commissary aren't bad.

In Otisville, they did check carefully and allow in a CPAP where the need was well-documented. Everything in prison takes time, but they do make the electrical connection available if they allow in the CPAP or if they issue you one. Be sure to have a copy of the sleep study when you go in, and also have one sent to you from home afterwards.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 AM

How do you Western Union Money. I have looked but don't see how to do it. Can you please help me? I self surrender in a week. I was going to get a money order today and mail it a postal money order. I was already told I can not brign anything where I will be going which is not good.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 AM

hello i go in two days ... idk ..what do you wear ???? are you allowed to keep bras???? underware etc.. going to alderson
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Default Western Union

Bring nothing except a wedding band and religious materials.
Send money via western union.
Go to www.bop.gov then Inmate Locator to find your inmate number. The send $500, not more and not less as follows:
to Western Union Quick Collect Program

Inmates' families and friends may also send inmates funds through Western Union's Quick Collect Program. All funds sent via Western Union's Quick Collect will be posted to the inmate's account within two to four hours, when those funds are sent between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. EST (seven days per week, including holidays). Funds received after 9:00 pm EST will be posted by 7:00 am EST the following morning. Funds sent to an inmate through the Quick Collect Program may be sent via one of the following ways:

1) At an agent location with cash: The inmate's family or friends must complete a Quick Collect Form. Click here to view a sample Quick Collect Form. To find the nearest agent, they may call 1-800-325-6000 or go to www.westernunion.com.
2) By phone using a credit/debit card: The inmate's family or friends may simply call 1-800-634-3422 and press option 2.
3) ONLINE using a credit/debit card: The inmate's family and friends may go to www.westernunion.com and select "Quick Collect".
For each Western Union Quick Collect transaction, the following information must be provided:

1) Valid Inmate Eight Digit Register Number (entered with no spaces or dashes and immediately followed by Inmate's Last Name)
2) Committed Inmate Full Name entered on Attention Line
3) Code City: FBOP, DC
Please note that the inmate's committed name and eight digit register number must be entered correctly. If the sender does not provide the correct information, the transaction cannot be completed. The Code City is always FBOP, DC.

Each transaction is accepted or rejected at the point of sale. The sender has the sole responsibility of sending the funds to the correct inmate. If an incorrect register number and/or name are used and accepted and posted to that inmate, funds may not be returned.

Any questions or concerns regarding Western Union transfers should be directed to Western Union by the sender (general public). Questions or concerns should not be directed to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy71 View Post
How do you Western Union Money. I have looked but don't see how to do it. Can you please help me? I self surrender in a week. I was going to get a money order today and mail it a postal money order. I was already told I can not brign anything where I will be going which is not good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tipesh For This Useful Post:
cglive22 (05-27-2018), christy71 (06-29-2010), Chylve (08-02-2010), T Ross (02-27-2012)
Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Sorry, but you will have to take off all your clothes when you go in, and you will be issued prison clothes.
Only things you can bring in are eye glasses, wedding band, and religious materials (Bible, cross, etc).
Be sure to send yourself $500 by Western Union (only) as I posted above.
You will get through it. And then it will be behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylife2011 View Post
hello i go in two days ... idk ..what do you wear ???? are you allowed to keep bras???? underware etc.. going to alderson
Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Do NOT send money order. Only via Western Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy71 View Post
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Why do you say not to send a money order? I've been sending US PO money orders for over a decade and have never, ever had a problem and the longest it has taken to post on the inmates account is 4 days. It is only $1.50 too so the price is much less the Western Union.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Yes. Correct. Once everything is set up, you can send a money order and it does cost $1.50 vs $5 for a Western Union quickpay. However, for someone abut to go in, 4 days (and depending on timing it can be ten days) can feel like a lifetime. First time in, use Western Union only.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tipesh For This Useful Post:
cglive22 (05-27-2018)
Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Thanks Tipesh I needed to know that. I will send money tonight because I have to go in a week and I will need money when I get there. When you first go do you always have to go to SHU first or will I be in a general cell? I think that is what is making me so nervous. I am glad I found this site and have time to read so much but there is always different storys. I just want to do my time and get home with family again. I was told I could not bring a bible at Hazelton the guard said no. I am going in with nothing. Just me and old cloths they can trash. Thanks again for all the help on Western Union. I needed that.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 AM

While the official BOP rules clearly allow a soft-covered Bible, and at Otisville, where I was, they allowed them in, I have heard that other institutions do not. In general, if you surrender on w weekday between 8 AM and 2 PM, you should not have to spend any time in the SHU. You definitely will need money as soon as you go in, so you can make non-collect calls. You can [usually] bring in a phone list. mail yourself a copy to be sure. Bring in any meds you take as well as the prescriptions. Have your doc look up the BOP' list of approved generics and give you scrips for the best substitute. If they choose, they will make poor choices. See http://www.bop.gov/news/PDFs/formulary.pdf
Feel free to email me privately with any questions to otseville@goodtimeprisonbook.com
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Ok I have another question. I only have days before I self surrender what all should I do? I have been trying to see everyone and spending a lot of time with kids and husband anything else. I have been eating when I can at my favorite places. I am going crazy now getting very nervous. Any help on what I am missing??
Old 07-03-2010, 04:02 PM

1. You are going on a long vacation; get your affairs in order. It is hard to do while you are away.
2. Make a list of newspapers and magazines you want, and order subscriptions You can get the mailing address for the facility from the BOP website. Include your inmate number; likewise, order up to five books from Amazon and have them ship directly (soft cover only)
3. Yet your meds in order, and a letter from you physician describing any medical issues and prescriptions. Get a doctor's letter explaining the medical reasons for needing two pillows and a lower bunk. Mail the letter to yourself (at prison) on the day you leave. Bring a copy with, and leave a copy at home and with your attorney.
4.If you wear eyeglasses, get your eyes tested; if you need a new scrip, get it filled. Wear in one pair and being in a spare pair.
5. Have any needed dental work done and your teeth cleaned
6. Send yourself money by Western Union as previously discussed ($500 exactly)
7. Have a NOTARIZED power of attorney you can leave with a husband / loved one, parent. Prepare two, and mail one to yourself
8. Make a short contact list you can bring with, mail to yourself, and leave with an attorney
if you have more questions email me at otseville@goodtimeprisonbook.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tipesh For This Useful Post:
cglive22 (05-27-2018), christy71 (07-03-2010), Chylve (08-02-2010), Dragonfly Hazel (07-31-2013)
Old 07-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks Tipesh for all the help. I will get everything in line so I have it. I really am glad there a people out there like you that help others out. Thanks for the good stuff you do.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I've sent postal money orders to nearly a dozen of new surrenders about 4 days before their surrender date and they all have gotten them just like we planned. Once they have a BoP inmate number if you canuse some pre planning, the money IS there when they need it.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Default Sending Money

Yes. You can send a money order, and it may work in four days. If you do choose that route, which I continue NOT to recommend, then be sure to sent it to Federal Bureau of Prisons
Insert Valid Committed Inmate Name
Insert Inmate Eight Digit Register Number
Post Office Box 474701
Des Moines, Iowa 50947-0001
and

Be sure to write the name and inmate number clearly.
For the first time, I still far prefer Western Union.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:33 PM

We are waiting on my husbands date and place to self surrender now. He just got out in Dec and 3 months into being home ( after finding a job and settling in) they hit him with some old charges from 08 so now he is going back. How long from the time we get the notice will he have to show up at the prison? Do you think he will go to the same prison he was at last time? What time will he have to be there by? What should I expect? I am so nervous, please help. I feel like I am still reovering from the last time he left, i just dont know if I can handle it again. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm very sorry to hear it.
I don't give legal advice, but I will try and help as much as I can.
Is this a detainer?
Was he sentenced?
For how long?
Was he out altogether or on supervised release?
If it's supervised release, he will generally go back to the institution that sent him.
Are the new charges Federal or State?
If it is a self-surrender situation, that is a good sign.
If you prefer you may contact me privately at OTSeville@goodtimeprisonbook.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKing View Post
We are waiting on my husbands date and place to self surrender now. He just got out in Dec and 3 months into being home ( after finding a job and settling in) they hit him with some old charges from 08 so now he is going back. How long from the time we get the notice will he have to show up at the prison? Do you think he will go to the same prison he was at last time? What time will he have to be there by? What should I expect? I am so nervous, please help. I feel like I am still reovering from the last time he left, i just dont know if I can handle it again. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Yes it is a self surrender. Why is that a good sign? Yes he was sentenced for 25 months. They are new charges. The first time he got sent to prison was for violation of probation (federal) and then he did 24 months and he got out for 3 months before they picked him up from his new job to charge him for the things he violated his probation with. he got out the same day they picked him up on bond and then went to court and got 25 more months. Federal. Will he go back to the same facility. Do you think he will do the whole time? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Self-surrender is good because it means his security points are low and he is eligible for a minimum or low security facility. I am still confused. Was he sentenced on the new charges? Were they for an event prior to his earlier sentence of after? Essentially, if you are out on probation and violate, then judge can order you to serve the whole length of the term of supervised release that he imposed. It is up to the judge. From what I understand, the judge already imposed an additional sentence and he is just waiting for a surrender notice. It goes back to Grand Prairie, and BOP makes the determination where to send him. There is a good shot he will go back to the same place, but it is not a slam dunk.
I think he is entitled to legal representation in this circumstance, and there should be a new J&C order that spells out the details. It is on pacer. Your lawyer can get it for you. If you have a case number, I can get it for you too. You can send me privately his name and case number (if you have it) or at least the court and his name, and I can search Pacer for you. Again, it is otseville@goodtimeprisonbook.com
Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Hopefully they wont be totally out of clothes when you arrive. I could just see the BoP doing something like that... "well, its policy that you are not allowed personal clothing, and we are temporarily out of stock so...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipesh View Post
Sorry, but you will have to take off all your clothes when you go in, and you will be issued prison clothes.
Only things you can bring in are eye glasses, wedding band, and religious materials (Bible, cross, etc).
Be sure to send yourself $500 by Western Union (only) as I posted above.
You will get through it. And then it will be behind you.