Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 AM
NebRASKA512

Exclamation HELP! Transferring in Illinois, Visitation???

Hi,

My name is Kristin and I'm a new member here. My husband is currently in Shawnee Correctional Centre in Vienna, IL, which is 5 1/2 hours from where I am (Aurora). I had been visiting him 5 times a month, which is the maximum there since he has been there 6 months ago. Right now I'm 8 months pregnant and soon will not be able to travel that far with the baby. I won't be able to make as much time for it as before and with the baby i won't be able to afford it.

He's going to put in for a transfer and we are concerned about how visitation is at any of the illinois facilities closer to aurora (further north than shawnee) especially with the baby coming. I know that lots of places are just slowly stripping inmates of any privelages.

I am not really as concerned with the hours or whats on the IDOC page as i can find that myself but if anyone has any first or second hand information from experience i'd really appreciate it.

He was thinking about Dixon but i'm not sure if we can swing that one.

Three things I'm curious about:
  • Do any Illinois facilities allow wives/girlfriends to actually sit NEXT to the inmate?
  • Does anyone know if there are any facilities left which have play rooms/areas for the children?
  • Are there any illinois facilities that allow visitations outside at all? such as an outdoor visiting are or anything of that nature?
I know that him being in prison and all i can't expect much when it comes to contact or privelages during visitation but any help you could offer i would just love.

<3 Kristin

Last edited by KristinGish; 04-08-2005 at 01:13 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

Hi Krisin and welcome. I did see some toys in a cabinet at Centralia, which is a level 4. It seemed sometimes a toddler could play a little right around their table. They have a rectangular table with 4 attached chairs and only specify where the inmate sits if there are more people than 2. I did see an inmate several times with his wife and newborn baby and he was holding the baby the entire time.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:41 PM

My husband is at Big Muddy, but that is still down south a ways.
The good news is that you can sit next to your boyfriend/husband there and they have a corner for kids with books and a tv/video player. It is a nice place for kids - much more relaxed and kid friendly than other places.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM

My finance is at Illinois River in Canton Illinois and there are a lot of toys for kids. I was really surprised and they have a TV in the visiting room. You can't sit next to them though. There are no outside visits either.
My honeys sister takes her kids as of lately and they range from 12 to 6 months and they can sit there the whole 4 hour visit without too many problems. They have cards, games, blocks, coloring books, etc.