Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Parole, Probation, Work Release & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Parole, Probation, Work Release & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in New York should be posted here.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Default determinate sentence/flat bid

just wanted to clarify something that was in the sticky about how much time he will really serve. If you have a loved one that was sentenced to a flat bid, that does not mean that they have to serve 85% of the time. If he/she is a non-violent offender, he/she qualifies for the merit allowance which takes another 1/7th off their sentence. Also, if they meet certain criteria, they are eligibile for the CASAT program which includes work release. If they are serving time for a non-violent felony and meet the other criteria, they must first serve one year then do six moths in a rehab program within a CASAT facility and then go on to phase 2 of CASAT which is work-release. It used to be that flat bids were only for violent offenders which is why they had to serve 85% of their bid. But since the Rockefeller Laws were reformed, drug offenders are sentenced to flat bids also and thus are eligible for the merit allowance as well as good time. Hopes this helps. My info is accurate as I found it in the Rockefeller reform bill and was told the same info by several people at DOCS in Albany.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Default re: CASAT criteria

by the way, the criteria for CASAT is that you can have violent offenses in your record, no open warrants, no court orders of protection, no outstanding child support owed, and no major infractions while currently incarcerated. I also think that you have to have accumulated a certain number of points in order to enter the CASAT program but I'm not too sure about that part of it.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Default CASAT criteria

sorry guys -- i meant to say no violent offenses in your past history
Old 03-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Not active-find *********
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default we always try to make it clear

that 85% is for flat bids on violent offenses.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."