Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Question Transferring Parole from Virginia to Maryland

Just a quick question....has anyone or anyones loved one transferred parole from Virginia to Maryland? Just would like to know what the process is and how difficult it is to get???
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2010, 05:10 AM

It depends upon the reason for transfer. If they fall under mandatory transfer, then it's pretty easy. If it's discretionary, then MD is more problematic.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 AM

His po is recommending the transfer as there are safety issues if we are to stay in va
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 AM

The PO cannot recommend a transfer. They can request that MD accept the transfer. However, safety is not under the umbrella of a mandatory transfer. In this case, it would be a discretionary transfer. He would have to have a spouse already in MD who is established there, etc. Look under Interstate Compact for the discretionary transfer requirements. Knowing MD as I do, they probably would not accept a transfer based upon "safety issues" for the offender. Their thinking would be that if the offender is in some sort of danger, they will not be willing to allow them to bring that danger with them to their state.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Well his parole is up in 2011 and i may just have to move back to alexandria to make it an easier process. His current parole is in newport news. How hard is it to transfer parole between counties/cities of the same state? However he already has a residence established in maryland, and maryland considers him a resident of their state.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Transferring between counties in VA is very simple.

I'm confused. He's currently on parole with Newport News, but is living in MD, and is not being supevised by MD? If this is the case, then he is in violation of his parole right now, for conditions 6 and 10 at the very least.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:04 AM

I have spoke with you on this before VA PO, This is what happened....My ex is a very violent person, I had to get a protective order against him as he was threatening and harrassing us all, however I was the only one that could get the protective order as I was the only one victim to his violence. We were both scared, and everytime we moved he would find us...however he was smart enough to stay away from me, and tormented my fiance. He is currently locked up in Hampton on the violation because he did not report this to his po, we moved to maryland to escape the terror, as i have family here and my ex is not aware of the location. I have spoken to his po and also my fiance has. His hearing is Thursday and she stated she wants me there as a witness and wants me to bring my protective order. She said she wants to recommend that his parole be transferred to Maryland and he not be violated because of the circumstances. He had already lost one fiance to a crazy violent person previously. However, she stated it could take 3 months for the transfer, and I know Maryland would have to accept the transfer. So I was wondering since I work in Alexandria VA, and I have already talked to some people about moving to that area, maybe he could be transferred there sooner than if the transfer was to maryland.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM

The PO can request that you be present, but that does not mean that the hearing officer will allow it. I don't know how this will come out. On the one hand, the hearing officer could say that the issue is between you and your ex, since it doesn't sound you are married to this offender, and that just because you ahve the protective order, that does not mean that he can move with you. On the other hand, the hearing officer could say that he understands the situation, and not find probable cause. My guess is that he would find probable cause.

If he is released, you will probably have a big problem transferring to MD. They generally do not accept transfer requests when the offender has been living in their state illegally.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:31 PM

so it would be easier for me to move to alexandria? Since i work there it would make my travel easier, just my family would be further away....but not that far that i couldnt see them when i want...is that a possibility?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:36 PM

If he wants to go with you and you are not married, then you would not qualify under Interstate Compact as a family memeber for the purposes of moving to MD. Transferring from Newport News to Alexandria is very easy to do.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM

ok so i think that i will ask her about that then