Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Kentucky Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
My Heart Is Empty
Donation Award 

Default Should I Contact Frankfort D.O.C. About My Son?

Hello,
I need help and I don't know what to do for my son. My son has been living a nightmare since he was put in EKCC 8 months ago. He has been the target because of not being in a gang and has been beaten severely several times. Two weeks ago inmates got into his cell and beat him and put a tattoo gun and some kind of knife in his cell. This is the third time they have done this and tried to set my son up to be put in the hole. These were not my sons things and they did a search and they will not listen to him when he has been telling them. They had some kind of hearing and my son told the story. They know that he has been repeatedly beaten. He has had his eye knocked out, his jaw broken, and they are not paying a bit of attention to him!! The C.O.'s are in on this stuff and are just as dishonest as the inmates!! These gang guys have been stealing my sons stuff! Nothing is being done! I don't know what to do for him to help. I feel helpless. When he gets his items with his money each week, they are making him give up some of the things or they will beat him! This goes on non stop! What is someone suppose to do???

My son is telling me that the write-up is a total lie and nothing written in it is even the truth of what he told them in the meeting. He said nothing in the report is the way it was and they don't care to hear the truth. So now he is in the hole for 90 days but someone else has been there by him for over a year in PC waiting to be transferred. My son is petrified that he will be in that hole for that long because he is afraid to come out because they keep beating him so severely. They want him to be in their gang and he doesn't want to be in a gang but it looks like you have to be to survive! Is that what keeps them safe?, to be in a gang?

Has anyone had any luck here in Kentucky going to the DOC in Frankfort and telling them what is going on in there? I don't know what to do. Please help!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,335 Times in 3,156 Posts

Read this post.

Have him ask for a packet on institutional problems and on on declaratory judgments. They will send him info on what to do.

As for PC, that is Protective Custody. He has to ask for that in order to stay in the hole that long. He can also put in for a transfer to another place. Not that they would grant it though.

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
My Heart Is Empty
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
Read this post.

Have him ask for a packet on institutional problems and on on declaratory judgments. They will send him info on what to do.

As for PC, that is Protective Custody. He has to ask for that in order to stay in the hole that long. He can also put in for a transfer to another place. Not that they would grant it though.

Good luck and hang in there.
Thank you so much! Am I able to send for that info for him and have it sent to him? I'm worried for two reasons, he only gets to make one call a week on Saturday, are they open for him to leave the message on voicemail? The other would be that when they see mail going through that he is writing to that address, won't that make it harder on him since he is in the hole?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

You sure can.

There shouldn't be any problems with him mailing something out, but just to be safe, I'll PM you the phone number so you can call tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Default My son is there too

My son has been there for a year now and in isolation.
I pray he survives he was trying to call Sunday but they wouldn't let
Him use the phone and it turns out that
The person that got on the phone was stabbed and
Killed. They are saying they will kill him
And make it look like he did it....praying hard.
I don't if anyone can help our sons but God, I
Have tried everything to no avail.
My prayers are with you and your son also.

QUOTE=MsSchoolday;7092053]Hello,
I need help and I don't know what to do for my son. My son has been living a nightmare since he was put in EKCC 8 months ago. He has been the target because of not being in a gang and has been beaten severely several times. Two weeks ago inmates got into his cell and beat him and put a tattoo gun and some kind of knife in his cell. This is the third time they have done this and tried to set my son up to be put in the hole. These were not my sons things and they did a search and they will not listen to him when he has been telling them. They had some kind of hearing and my son told the story. They know that he has been repeatedly beaten. He has had his eye knocked out, his jaw broken, and they are not paying a bit of attention to him!! The C.O.'s are in on this stuff and are just as dishonest as the inmates!! These gang guys have been stealing my sons stuff! Nothing is being done! I don't know what to do for him to help. I feel helpless. When he gets his items with his money each week, they are making him give up some of the things or they will beat him! This goes on non stop! What is someone suppose to do???

My son is telling me that the write-up is a total lie and nothing written in it is even the truth of what he told them in the meeting. He said nothing in the report is the way it was and they don't care to hear the truth. So now he is in the hole for 90 days but someone else has been there by him for over a year in PC waiting to be transferred. My son is petrified that he will be in that hole for that long because he is afraid to come out because they keep beating him so severely. They want him to be in their gang and he doesn't want to be in a gang but it looks like you have to be to survive! Is that what keeps them safe?, to be in a gang?

Has anyone had any luck here in Kentucky going to the DOC in Frankfort and telling them what is going on in there? I don't know what to do. Please help![/quote]
Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM
I love my Joli

My LO is in EKCC also. He was recently caught with a cell phone that a GUARD brought in...I know the guards name b/c I made my LO tell me. This guard is also bringing in drugs to sell to the inmates. My LO is in Enhanced Supervision Unit due to the phone. The CO's told officials that my LO is the one bringing in the contraband at visits. My LO has not had a visit in over 18 months due to family cannot afford the trip. They terminated his visits permanently while he is at EKCC. These guards and wardens do NOT care. I called the wardens office just to be told he was in meetings and couldn't take calls for days or longer.
My LO told me they were on lockdown on Sunday due to a man being stabbed to death. Then in February, another inmate was stabbed to death. Why are there no guards supervising?! Why is these men losing their lives and the guards stand by and do nothing?! Why are drugs being brought in and blamed on inmates?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyismysanity View Post

Has anyone had any luck here in Kentucky going to the DOC in Frankfort and telling them what is going on in there? I don't know what to do. Please help!
[/quote]
Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM
My Heart Is Empty
Donation Award 

Yes, I know about it and that's totally totally awful!! They are suppose to be in Protective Custody and only one is allowed out at a time to make a phone call. When the cell doors were locked down, the killer had put a razor blade in the door that kept it from locking all the way. When that particular inmate went to make his phone call, the killer was able to open his cell door and he went up behind him and cut his throat!! Where in the hell were these CO's at this time????? They were downstairs on another walk!!! This is crazy! This is not PROTECTIVE CUSTODY!!

Now they are letting 3 out at a time in the "Bull Pen" as they call it and the CO's sit in a room and look out a window to watch them. Why are they not outside with them?! There is not a single inmate in there that knows what the other one is capable of doing! My son could be outside with guys that seem to be okay and within a second, they can become a killer as the one that cut the guys throat and killed him last week!!

How does anyone make it out of prison alive????!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyismysanity View Post

[/quote]
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 PM
My Heart Is Empty
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoli View Post
My LO is in EKCC also. He was recently caught with a cell phone that a GUARD brought in...I know the guards name b/c I made my LO tell me. This guard is also bringing in drugs to sell to the inmates. My LO is in Enhanced Supervision Unit due to the phone. The CO's told officials that my LO is the one bringing in the contraband at visits. My LO has not had a visit in over 18 months due to family cannot afford the trip. They terminated his visits permanently while he is at EKCC. These guards and wardens do NOT care. I called the wardens office just to be told he was in meetings and couldn't take calls for days or longer.
My LO told me they were on lockdown on Sunday due to a man being stabbed to death. Then in February, another inmate was stabbed to death. Why are there no guards supervising?! Why is these men losing their lives and the guards stand by and do nothing?! Why are drugs being brought in and blamed on inmates?!

[/quote]

You are absolutely right! Where are the CO's when people are being murdered???!!!!! I don't doubt at all that a CO brought your loved one a cell phone because they are known to do that along with drugs, cigarettes, etc. And of course they always blame it on the inmate and get by with it.

You have to go to higher ups to get to the warden since he never takes phone calls.
MrsJoli (04-27-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM

My son is in EKCC as well. He too has alot of trouble. Who so you talk to; what do you do!!? If you do one thing that will make it harder on them. The system is as crooked as crooked can be. There should not have been a stabbing/killing in that facility, seems as tho someone wasn't doing there job close enough. So how do we help them?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Is there a way we can get together to get something done? There is a family that has lost their loved one while at EKCC with little to none media. Oh we had a very very small piece of it in our local paper (that's the only way I found out about the stabbing), if we don't find a way to help them who will?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 PM

The packet on institutional problems; once the inmate receives the packet can they mail it to their family like in with a letter and the family mail the packet for them to keep from chancing retaliation?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

The incident at EKCC is being investigated by the state police.

There was media coverage in town where the man who died was from, and his family is out of state so there was stuff there too.

The packet referenced above only tells them what their options are as far as how to file a grievance, how to appeal a grievance, and if ncessary, how to get it in outside court. Other than getting it in court, all of it must be done in the prison and DOC only by the inmate and prison administrative staff.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
My Heart Is Empty
Donation Award 

Quote:
The incident at EKCC is being investigated by the state police.

There was media coverage in town where the man who died was from, and his family is out of state so there was stuff there too.

The packet referenced above only tells them what their options are as far as how to file a grievance, how to appeal a grievance, and if ncessary, how to get it in outside court. Other than getting it in court, all of it must be done in the prison and DOC only by the inmate and prison administrative staff.
I feel so sorry for his family. They suffered enough with him being incarcerated and then to have him murdered in prison is awful, totally awful!!! I hope that his family is doing something about it legally. Where was the security during this time??? He was in Segregation which means it requires more protection but yet someone is murdered!!! It's insane! My son is right there in this same area and I am petrified that he is going to be murdered by an inmate.
xolady (01-04-2018)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 PM

Default I need that number as sell

Quote:
You sure can.

There shouldn't be any problems with him mailing something out, but just to be safe, I'll PM you the phone number so you can call tomorrow.
My son has been at ekcc for over a year and I am very concerned his
Last letter indicated that there would be retaliation against him
By his co who has been extremely brutal to him and he indicated he would not
Get mail or be able to receive mail or make calls. He has phone
Money on his account and I spoke with his case worker and he told me
He would tell my son to write me but I don't feel he was being
Honest. I know my son and you can not keep him quiet for 5
Minutes let alone 5 weeks unless he is hurt or they are hiding something.
I don't know what to do but must do something. He has been in
Set the whole time he's been there but has always written or called once
A week.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:45 PM

I, too, would like to have the number. My son has been at EKCC going on two years or longer. There is nothing but trouble in that facility. He has requested a transfer but has heard nothing. If at all possible please Send the number. Thanks so much!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Ladies, the phone number referenced above has nothing to do with transfers or retaliation. It is a number for legal inquiries for inmates. For instance, they can either call or write to ask for information packets on ineffective assistance of counsel, jail credit, grievances and grievance procedure, declaration of rights, parole revocations to name a few. The post referencing it can be found here.

If you have issues/questions/concerns about those other things, you'll have to call DOC directly and their number can be found on their website.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,872 Times in 17,014 Posts

If your questions and concerns are not being addressed at the facility level (Caseworker and/or Warden), please contact the Omsbudman's Office: 502-564-4726.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 AM
Donation Award 

This post scares me. My son just informed me that he will probably be sent to EKCC from Roederer. Ugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lackingthepower For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,872 Times in 17,014 Posts

Thankfully, My Mr has not been to EKCC. Since this thread is a few years old, I hope things there have gotten better. Yeah, its scary to think about.....

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-05-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 PM
Donation Award 

My son was moved to a dorm. It's on lockdown and his cell mate said get used to it. If one person in the dorm does something wrong, the whole dorm locks down. They've doubled up the cells and are sending a lot of people there right now because they have the beds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lackingthepower For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanked 1,468 Times in 799 Posts

It's not on their front page but the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting has done great work exposing problems of medical neglect and corruption. http://kycir.org

Maybe they'd be interested in investigating EKCC.