Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,190 Times in 497 Posts
Default Credit card debt! Is this you?

Americans Slammed by Credit Card Debt

Nov. 20, 2005 — For all their convenience, credit cards can cause a lot of damage: Most Americans have credit card debt, and the average American owes more than $9,000 to credit card companies.

Americans often are drawn into such a dilemma by tantalizing solicitations. Promises of low interest rates and low monthly payments will pop on to the computer screen or arrive in the mail.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PersonalFi...C-RSSFeeds0312

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,190 Times in 497 Posts

I admit I am up to my eye balls in debt! I wish mine was only $9,000!!! I owe about $14,000 between a car loan,consolidation loan and credit cards (mainly credit cards)!! UGH! Can't ever seem to get ahead

How about you? In debt? How do you handle it? What have you done to try and make it better if anything?

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 11-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Being crazy is freedom

Cut up the damn cards!

With the Senate and the Legislature stealing all the money and writing IOUs to the Social Security Fund; giving billions to other countries; feeding all the little pork barrel pigs for votes, so they can stay on the money train; Nixon taking us off the gold standard and rendering our actual money worthless; sending all the good jobs overseas so that all there are are sevice jobs that pay nothing and the taxes are negligable, I don't know how they think they can keep doing this. It is all going to come to a crashing halt somewhere along the line because no one actually pays for anything anymore.

My father always told us if you can't afford it you don't need it. If you want it bad enough you can lay it away and pay on it until it is paid for. I may not have much of anything but I'm not beating my head against the wall because of debt. I grew up poor and have always been poor. But when the proverbial sh*t hits the wall, I know how to survive. I see our economy crashing. Sooner or later. We need leaders who look to the future and not to their own and their buddies pockets.

Sorry Cali-but these people really p*ss me off. Didn't mean to go on a rant. My brother got in trouble with credit cards and cut them all up. He has one now that he uses for emergencys. They hate him because he buys something and pays it off during the grace period, before the charges hit. But they keep sending him cards and upping his limit. I wouldn't have a credit card. I don't have enough money to afford one.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 AM

Nope. I charge up my one and only credit card for about $2,500 a month for everything from gas to groceries to eating out to paying my electric bill. I write it down in my check book everytime I make a charge and deduct it from my balance. Then, I pay it off every month. I like that 1% I get back because it makes a dent in our travels to see my son-in-law.

When I was much younger, I fell for the easy credit, etc. Then I learned what true bondage I was truly in. Never again.

Since then, no matter what my means, I have learned to live below them.

Of course, it helps that my husband and I both have good jobs.

If we didn't, we would have lived in our old house (and not built a new one), etc. and still lived below our means.

At any rate, credit cards, in my opinion, are sheer evil if you run a balance on them.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,380 Posts

Fortunately this is not me... I use them to charge purchases all month and pay them off before the due date.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Nope.. not me.. when I decided to retire and knew my income would be less I cut up all my cards. I just have a house payment and car payment, plus regular monthly expenses.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Back 4 Round 2??

Yes Cali, I have so much credit card & department store debt...got caught as a youngster...i had 3 credit cards by the time i was 17! I am learning!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Glad to be alive.

Yes I am in the process of paying down and off my cards. I paid off one, closed it and cut it up. I have perfect credit and a great FICO score but I do not want the bondage of this debt. It is a drainer in every way!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Frenchy Member

Nope, that's not me either, I need to sleep at night.

Phil
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM
bruinbob

Egads! I let myeslf get way into debt with credit cards and rather than risk losing my wonderful suburban home, I did a Chapter 13 bankruptcy three years ago. My repayment terms we over 36 months, and I had to repay just 15% of my debts per the terms. With my income tax refund forfeitures my repayments to my creditors came to about 22% but on December 4, 2005 I get my final discharge on my debts, and can start with a fresh no-debt start. And with the nasty late fees, and 30 per cent finance charges, no more credit cards for me ever again! I am just sorry that the new bankruptcy laws just enacted are so much rougher for those in debt.
Have a great Thanksgiving! bob
Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Hello everyone, 3 years ago my mans car got turned back in to the company and still has a balance of over $16 thousand. Has anyone heard if they can file for bankruptcy while they are incarcerated. There is no way he or I can pay that amount. HELP!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

After filing bankruptcy 3+ years ago, I will never use a credit card again! I have no control with credit cards. I see it and buy it. Cash advances. The credit card companies constantly send applications in the mail. I open them and mail then right back to them in their pre-stamped envelope. Eventually they get the message and stop sending them. My debt consist of my house and car (thank God!!). I try to encourage my son to stay away from credit cards. If you want something save up for it or don't get it. Just my opinion.