Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 03-01-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Advice needed, credit card debt

Hi,

My boyfriend is serving time in a federal prison. I have been made his power of attorney. Along with his prison sentence (7 years) our house was forfeited. My question is about his credit card debt. I have been making payments on them but am finding money very tight lately. The credit card debt is all the debt he has. Is it possible for him to file bankrupcy while in prison? If not, maybe it is possible to work something out with the company? What if all else fails and I just stop paying?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Susan

Last edited by Susan610; 03-01-2006 at 11:20 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Banned

When does he get out? If more than 10 years I would file bankruptcy. I see 7 years. I would still file. Are you planning on marrying him? Because it may affect your credit and trying to buy a home. Only thing is i do not think it is right to file bankruptcy when he ran the credit up but what are you going to do. If you do not have the money you do not have the money. I would think since you are power of attorney you could file bankruptcy but do fine out. Good luck,

Last edited by jdcjmc1; 03-01-2006 at 11:30 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Boss

Your man is lucky to have you looking out for him. A great place to consult about this is a non-profit consumer credit counseling center. They can look at his credit report and you can tell them the circumstances and they can give you your options. They are able to work with credit card companies and if they accounts are in default can often get them to stop charging interest I would look in the yellow pages under "consumer credit counseling" or something similar. These organizations are also online, but I would go with a local one and see someone in person. Make sure you get one that is non-profit, or else you will pay alot in fees. I screwed my credit up when I was very young and I worked with these people for a few years and now I have excellent credit.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:19 AM

Please make sure you don't sign anything that comes close to saying you're assuming the debts or taking responsibility for them.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 AM

one luv is right on track with her advice. When I was going through my divorce the credit card bills were overwhelming. I went to a non-profit credit card counseling agnecy here that my sister told me about. In July of this year everything will be paid off and my credit right back on track.

Also, they helped with things that were not just credit card debt. I had a couple of big medical bills that they worked out as well.