Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Please use this forum to talk about Department of Correction prison units, private institutiions, city jails, county jails, etc.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Questions about Crowley

My son is at Crowley and tells how poorly run it is, but my main concern is all the drugs he says there are in there. He says his current cellmate is doing meth and keeping him up half the night. He's been in jail before, but never prison, so is that just the way it is everywhere? If so, why is it allowed to go on to that extent? Maybe I'm just naive. Would appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Last edited by mom6868; 10-18-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom6868 View Post
My son is at Crowley and tells how poorly run it is, but my main concern is all the drugs he says there are in there. He says his current cellmate is doing meth and keeping him up half the night. He's been in jail before, but never prison, so is that just the way it is everywhere? If so, why is it allowed to go on to that extent? Maybe I'm just naive. Would appreciate any insight anyone can give me.
Crowley is a privately-run prison unlike the state-run prisons there are a lot more drugs and gang activity there. Don't get me wrong, there are those in state-run facilities as well but from what I hear the private prisons are much worse. My husband was in a private for 4 years and it was awful. Even the food was worse if you can believe that.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
Crowley is a privately-run prison unlike the state-run prisons there are a lot more drugs and gang activity there. Don't get me wrong, there are those in state-run facilities as well but from what I hear the private prisons are much worse. My husband was in a private for 4 years and it was awful. Even the food was worse if you can believe that.

Thanks for the info! He's up for reconsideration in November. Hopefully he'll get moved to a better place.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! He's up for reconsideration in November. Hopefully he'll get moved to a better place.
"Reconsideration"? For parole?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:58 PM

My son is at Crowley as well. He's only been there a month & doesn't tell me too much about things being run poorly. I wonder if he just doesn't say much because he doesn't want me to freak out, I don't know.

One terrible thing is that my visitation still hasn't been approved.

But my son's case manager has been very kind and helpful so far. Have you had reason to talk to your son's case manager? I've heard that sometimes you can make a difference by talking to them, getting to know them a bit.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Maybe I meant to say reclassification. Maybe moved to minimum security, which is where we thought he would go all along.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Yes, I have emailed with his case manager some. He seems pretty nice and helpful, but I think they're probably overworked like crazy. I'm from another state, and I also tried to get visitation and never did hear that it was approved. Luckily I didn't book a flight!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somom View Post
My son is at Crowley as well. He's only been there a month & doesn't tell me too much about things being run poorly. I wonder if he just doesn't say much because he doesn't want me to freak out, I don't know.

One terrible thing is that my visitation still hasn't been approved.

But my son's case manager has been very kind and helpful so far. Have you had reason to talk to your son's case manager? I've heard that sometimes you can make a difference by talking to them, getting to know them a bit.
Mainly he complains that they're really unorganized. He's on a medication, and sometimes mealtimes run an hour or two late or sometimes he doesn't get his medication til 1 or 2 am, especially when they were just on lockdown. He's told me about medical emergencies on his pod, and it takes them 20 or 30 minutes to get there to help the person.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I think I may be using the wrong Reply buttons. Still figuring this site out.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 PM

So my next question would be do people, the DOC, etc just not care about this, because I'm sure they realize it's going on. For all the things I imagined prison would be like, I never imagined there would be that kind of drug use and everybody either turning their eye to it or apparently involved in it. This isn't the dark ages, for God's sake.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
So my next question would be do people, the DOC, etc just not care about this, because I'm sure they realize it's going on. For all the things I imagined prison would be like, I never imagined there would be that kind of drug use and everybody either turning their eye to it or apparently involved in it. This isn't the dark ages, for God's sake.
As time goes by, you will realize that doc does not care about a lot of things. Especially food health care and safety of the offenders.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
As time goes by, you will realize that doc does not care about a lot of things. Especially food health care and safety of the offenders.
So is there a way to advocate for your loved ones health and safety if they need it?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
So is there a way to advocate for your loved ones health and safety if they need it?
There's a couple advocate groups out there. One is Colorado CURE. They have monthly meetings as well as a Google group to keep everyone informed.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 AM

I asked my son last night if he sees a lot of drugs at Crowley & he just gave me an emphatic "yes" & wouldn't say any more. He also told me in his unit the gangs run different thing, like hair cuts & different services. He wouldn't say any more about it though. Understandably.

I haven't heard about my visitation either, but it says on their website that the inmate will be told when you're approved, not you so I just let my son know to call me immediately when he finds out so I can make plans.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I asked my son last night if he sees a lot of drugs at Crowley & he just gave me an emphatic "yes" & wouldn't say any more. He also told me in his unit the gangs run different thing, like hair cuts & different services. He wouldn't say any more about it though. Understandably.

I haven't heard about my visitation either, but it says on their website that the inmate will be told when you're approved, not you so I just let my son know to call me immediately when he finds out so I can make plans.

My son doesn't want to say anything specific on the phone either, but he tries to keep to himself he said so he doesn't owe anybody anything and they don't owe him anything. I never did hear anything about my visit approval. The weekend I was going passed and I still never heard anything. Your son may have to ask because they're not always good about letting them know anything either. I'm sure he'll figure out how things work when he's been there longer. I'll pray for your son too.

Last edited by mom6868; 10-21-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
My son doesn't want to say anything specific on the phone either, but he tries to keep to himself he said so he doesn't owe anybody anything and they don't owe him anything. I never did hear anything about my visit approval. The weekend I was going passed and I still never heard anything. Your son may have to ask because they're not always good about letting them know anything either. I'm sure he'll figure out how things work when he's been there longer. I'll pray for your son too.

Actually I just got an email from my son's case manager today letting me know my visitation application was approved. One thing I did was call her a few weeks ago and brown nosed as much as I could. I did everything I could get get her 'on my side'. I read on their website that the only approval notification they give is to the inmate, but she took a few minutes to email me. I'm so relieved by that! Maybe you can try to establish a relationship with your son's case manager. My son told me he's heard she's one of the better ones there, though.

I also emailed visitation to see if they are going to adjust the visitation schedule for Christmas, since Christmas is on a Monday this year. They replied to me within a few hours & said they aren't going to adjust anything this year, but will in years when Christmas falls mid-week.

Oh, last thing about visitation, my son's case manager told me I should call right away and schedule a visit because they're usually full (at least on the weekends) a couple of weeks out. Even though I'm approved, I probably won't get to see my son this weekend. :/

I'll pray for your son as well - and for his case manager, COs, & fellow inmates. They all need it. Hang in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to somom For This Useful Post:
Zanne1962 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Actually I just got an email from my son's case manager today letting me know my visitation application was approved. One thing I did was call her a few weeks ago and brown nosed as much as I could. I did everything I could get get her 'on my side'. I read on their website that the only approval notification they give is to the inmate, but she took a few minutes to email me. I'm so relieved by that! Maybe you can try to establish a relationship with your son's case manager. My son told me he's heard she's one of the better ones there, though.

I also emailed visitation to see if they are going to adjust the visitation schedule for Christmas, since Christmas is on a Monday this year. They replied to me within a few hours & said they aren't going to adjust anything this year, but will in years when Christmas falls mid-week.

Oh, last thing about visitation, my son's case manager told me I should call right away and schedule a visit because they're usually full (at least on the weekends) a couple of weeks out. Even though I'm approved, I probably won't get to see my son this weekend. :/

I'll pray for your son as well - and for his case manager, COs, & fellow inmates. They all need it. Hang in there.
Thanks for the info! My son's case mgr has been pretty responsive and helpful a couple of times too. I don't know what happened with the visitation but it's too late now. I live out of state so no idea when i might visit. Take care!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yes there as easy to get in there as it is out here but no not everyone does that I think he can request to be moved just has to be for a good reason not really to rat on him but to ask to be moved because of conflict or something Im not too sure depending on how long hes been in he can also request to be put in to an Incentive pod if he has no write ups and has been a model imate he can put in for that.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix88 View Post
Yes there as easy to get in there as it is out here but no not everyone does that I think he can request to be moved just has to be for a good reason not really to rat on him but to ask to be moved because of conflict or something Im not too sure depending on how long hes been in he can also request to be put in to an Incentive pod if he has no write ups and has been a model imate he can put in for that.
Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible for the incentive units. There is usually a waiting list to get in.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible for the incentive units. There is usually a waiting list to get in.
Blows my mind - the extent of the drugs. Is it that the DOC knows and doesn't care or what? You probably know the politics of the system better.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Hi, I'm new here and my son is also at Crowely. I'm so happy i stumbled across this web site. I too am very concerned about my son. They were recently on lockdown and I was so worried to not hear from him. Now I haven't heard from him again in the last few days. It terrifies me to know that the are so many drugs there. Any recent info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romom View Post
Hi, I'm new here and my son is also at Crowely. I'm so happy i stumbled across this web site. I too am very concerned about my son. They were recently on lockdown and I was so worried to not hear from him. Now I haven't heard from him again in the last few days. It terrifies me to know that the are so many drugs there. Any recent info would be greatly appreciated.
Hi! I completely understand what you're going through. They haven't been on lockdown again that I know of, unless they do lockdown by pods or units sometimes. My son called this afternoon so he's not on lockdown. Is there money on an account so he can call? I'm sure you know about all that. I'm fairly new at this, but am happy to answer anything I can to help. I'll be praying for you and your son too.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Smile

Thank you for your quick reply. Good to know he's not on lockdown. This week we put money on his tablet instead of the phone but I was hoping to get an email from him. They may be in the process of setting them up still. He tried to call from the tablet a few days ago but the reception was terrible. Thank you for the prayers. I will also say a prayer for you and your son as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:58 AM

Hi there, the tablets are not that great and to expensive for what they want to do is my opinion. The easiest way we have found to talk is to put money on his books and he puts money on the phone seems to be a little cheaper not much but the reception is way better. As far as the drug situation he just needs to stay to himself and resists the temptations in there, dont borrow anything or buy anything from anyone and he will be fine. My son got a tv to keep him occupied and away from the drama. I’m scared too even though I know he can take care of himself. It just so hard everyday but just stay positive this is not forever we will get through this nightmare. God Bless
Old 10-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Hi all, I got a message from my son last night at about 8pm saying they're on lock down again. He didn't say why. Last time they were on lock down they turned the tablets off, so I'm glad he got that message to me. I'll put an update here if/when I hear from him again.

It's definitely not a friendly place in there.

Last time they were on lock down I asked my son what would have made things nicer for him in his cell during lock down. He said having a coffee maker in the cell makes a HUGE difference because they can not only make coffee, but they can make rice or ramen noodles for snacks. So he got that. Also having a tv is nice because they often shut the tablets (including the music and games) off... Always having books from the library helps too.

Let's hope this lock down doesn't last as long.

Prayers for all of them, inmates and guards alike. I pray for my son's cellmate all the time, that he'll be calm and kind. So far he has been.
The Following User Says Thank You to somom For This Useful Post:
Phoenix88 (10-30-2017)