Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 06-10-2019, 05:47 AM

This is curiosity on my part, but what if there isn’t enough space in the visitors room? I wonder if that’s ever happened on a non-holiday.

Is there anything to do in the town of Dixon? We’ve got 6 hours together at the prison then I have to find something to fill the rest of my time lol

Also, do they sell gum there? If not, can I bring my own in? How do the pictures there work? (JG I think you went over this with me - you get 3 for $5 - can you get more? You said they deliver them to him or to me?) My MWI says they only do pix Sat and Wed? Oh my goodness, what happens if the picture guy isn't there on a Saturday? I'd be so upset Hopefully there's always, always someone there on those days..

PS: I'm sorry I have so many questions, things keep popping up into my head. I'm hopeful these will be useful to anyone visiting Dixon in the future!!

Last edited by ILLINOIS.PAL; 06-10-2019 at 06:34 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS.PAL View Post
This is curiosity on my part, but what if there isn’t enough space in the visitors room? I wonder if that’s ever happened on a non-holiday.

Is there anything to do in the town of Dixon? We’ve got 6 hours together at the prison then I have to find something to fill the rest of my time lol

Also, do they sell gum there? If not, can I bring my own in? How do the pictures there work? (JG I think you went over this with me - you get 3 for $5 - can you get more? You said they deliver them to him or to me?) My MWI says they only do pix Sat and Wed? Oh my goodness, what happens if the picture guy isn't there on a Saturday? I'd be so upset Hopefully there's always, always someone there on those days..

PS: I'm sorry I have so many questions, things keep popping up into my head. I'm hopeful these will be useful to anyone visiting Dixon in the future!!
Gum is a big no no. They check your mouth when you get searched. Hopefully the picture guy is there, my guess is yes esp on a Saturday. They’re 3 for $1.15 not $5 but your guy has to buy ahead of time he should know this though. They’ll mail them to you. He doesn’t get them. If the visiting room gets full and there’s a wait they start cutting visits short. If you have a preapproved extended visit they may cut you to four hours who knows. There is no consistency. Go early, like right at 815 go in to start the paperwork (pvi form). There is nothing to do near any prison really lol. Will you have a car? There’s historic parks that way, Ronald Reagan’s childhood home haha, umm... a small little downtown area. I joined the Illinois wine trail club and have visited a few wineries within a radius of where my husband is (and was). I take the train now that he’s at Pinckneyville and there is NOTHING there. A Walmart and a shitty Mexican restaurant. And I stick out like a sore thumb down there. If I think of anywhere else or anything else I’ll message you. Lmk if you’ll have a car!

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesgirl1111 View Post
Gum is a big no no. They check your mouth when you get searched. Hopefully the picture guy is there, my guess is yes esp on a Saturday. They’re 3 for $1.15 not $5 but your guy has to buy ahead of time he should know this though. They’ll mail them to you. He doesn’t get them. If the visiting room gets full and there’s a wait they start cutting visits short. If you have a preapproved extended visit they may cut you to four hours who knows. There is no consistency. Go early, like right at 815 go in to start the paperwork (pvi form). There is nothing to do near any prison really lol. Will you have a car? There’s historic parks that way, Ronald Reagan’s childhood home haha, umm... a small little downtown area. I joined the Illinois wine trail club and have visited a few wineries within a radius of where my husband is (and was). I take the train now that he’s at Pinckneyville and there is NOTHING there. A Walmart and a shitty Mexican restaurant. And I stick out like a sore thumb down there. If I think of anywhere else or anything else I’ll message you. Lmk if you’ll have a car!

No gum not even for sale inside? What about mints? So glad to see pix are 1.15, not 5. But can we do more than 3? Can I provide the address where I'd like them mailed or do they go off my form?

I'll have a car. I'll get there early. IDK if I want to stay in Dixon, near his mom in Aurora, or in Chicago near the airport. I think Dixon is like 1-2 hours away if I choose either of the latter.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I honestly have not seen the picture guy there in a long time but maybe because no one has signed up. Idk. I’ll ask my LO if he knows. The visiting room tends to get very busy on Saturday and Sunday but I’ve only been there once when they’ve cut our time short (a few weeks ago).
Not much to do around Dixon. Like really nothing to do. It’s about an 1:15 to aurora (haven’t been there in forever but at least you can hang out with people?$
The Following User Says Thank You to Meami1 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 PM

Ok I’ll have my dude get on the picture thing. I’d hate to travel all that way and not get pix taken with him.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Ok I’ll have my dude get on the picture thing. I’d hate to travel all that way and not get pix taken with him.
I hear ya! He just has to pre purchase them when he’s doing his commissary. He can do it now and just hang on to them til you come

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

ILLINOIS.PAL (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I hear ya! He just has to pre purchase them when he’s doing his commissary. He can do it now and just hang on to them til you come
I’m still so shook over the gum/mint thing. How am I supposed to keep my breath fresh or our mini-makeout session after 6 hours of talking and eating?? Lol
Old 06-11-2019, 06:49 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I’m still so shook over the gum/mint thing. How am I supposed to keep my breath fresh or our mini-makeout session after 6 hours of talking and eating?? Lol
Hahahaaa you’ll both have the same breath. And you can buy the peppermint patties at the end if you want but that’s the best available option.

ILLINOIS.PAL (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Hahahaaa you’ll both have the same breath. And you can buy the peppermint patties at the end if you want but that’s the best available option.

Omg yes, peppermint patties??? I'm into it.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Haha I haven’t seen peppermint patties buuuut I usually make sure I have sip of something or a starburst or something just before we kiss goodbye. You’ll be fine and breath will be the last thing he’s thinking about
Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meami1 View Post
Haha I haven’t seen peppermint patties buuuut I usually make sure I have sip of something or a starburst or something just before we kiss goodbye. You’ll be fine and breath will be the last thing he’s thinking about
Why don’t they offer mints or gum
Old 06-14-2019, 07:31 PM

Ok so now I’m lamenting over the fact there’s only a quality inn and some other roach motel out in Dixon. Uggghhh.

Anyone have any insight on these places?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Ehhhh I wouldn’t stay in Dixon. Might have better luck in Dekalb since it’s near a university. About an hour drive to Dixon each day. Way more food options I’m sure as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meami1 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-17-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Ok so now I’m lamenting over the fact there’s only a quality inn and some other roach motel out in Dixon. Uggghhh.

Anyone have any insight on these places?
The Dixon quality inn isn’t bad at all I’ve stayed there. Look at the reviews.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 PM

Went to visit my hubby today and OMG then COs at Dixon, dragged ass. And it had nothing to do with it being Fathers Day. I waited 3 hours and only got an hour/half visit. How is it possible to have 4 COs at the front checking people in but only 1 is really doing the check in process. Anyhow, I’m glad I got to see my hubby. He is worth the wait.
The best part in staying til the end go visit, is a mini makeout session lol
The Following User Says Thank You to BOVANDO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOVANDO View Post
Went to visit my hubby today and OMG then COs at Dixon, dragged ass. And it had nothing to do with it being Fathers Day. I waited 3 hours and only got an hour/half visit. How is it possible to have 4 COs at the front checking people in but only 1 is really doing the check in process. Anyhow, I’m glad I got to see my hubby. He is worth the wait.
So you went out to see him yesterday and they gave you 1.5 hours?? Damn I bet the waiting room was PACKED.

Can you have a cellphone while you wait? Or is it 3 hours of pure torture? What about days that aren't super busy - are the waits real long?

How like... in depth can you get in mini-makeout session - are we talking tongue and 5 minutes or closed lipped and 10 seconds? LOL

Also, is there a best time of day to go? My LO says the photo guy is there on Saturday from 2:30-5:30 and Wednesday... he's going to try and get me an extended visit for all 3 days I'll be there (I mean, I am coming from VA...), so I don't really know what time to shoot for on Saturday so we can get pics. If I get 6 hours, and I get there when it opens at 8:30a, I'm done at 2:30p - IDK if I can do pix then... but if I get there at like 10, I should have until 4p, but what if they cut it short because everyone and their brother wants to visit the weekend in August I'll be there, and kick me out at 2p? IDK what to do
Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
So you went out to see him yesterday and they gave you 1.5 hours?? Damn I bet the waiting room was PACKED.

Can you have a cellphone while you wait? Or is it 3 hours of pure torture? What about days that aren't super busy - are the waits real long?

How like... in depth can you get in mini-makeout session - are we talking tongue and 5 minutes or closed lipped and 10 seconds? LOL

Also, is there a best time of day to go? My LO says the photo guy is there on Saturday from 2:30-5:30 and Wednesday... he's going to try and get me an extended visit for all 3 days I'll be there (I mean, I am coming from VA...), so I don't really know what time to shoot for on Saturday so we can get pics. If I get 6 hours, and I get there when it opens at 8:30a, I'm done at 2:30p - IDK if I can do pix then... but if I get there at like 10, I should have until 4p, but what if they cut it short because everyone and their brother wants to visit the weekend in August I'll be there, and kick me out at 2p? IDK what to do
So even if you get there right at 830, the timer starts when the visit starts. ALWAYS check the clock after you sign into the visiting room and notice the time you both begin your visit. But at least if you’re there early you’ll get processed in quicker. I usually will get up and confirm “we have until x:xx correct” becuz sometimes they’ll write down when you enter but you sit there and wait for him or vice versa. Clearly Father’s Day is an anomaly and extra busy. I like your 10am idea though (maybe 930?) cuz then you’re not first in hence first to be cut short.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank god for the mini makeout sesh then!!!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM

I asked about photos - the photog is there on either Tues or Weds in the AM (I think Wed but I was more concerned with the weekend)... and they're there Saturday from 2:30-5:30p.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLINOIS.PAL For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM

When the visiting room is packed with people leaving at end of day visit, some of those COs ain’t paying attention to the good bye kiss/hug. At least in my experience. The CO this past Sunday was walking around collecting garbage. Going in/out of the back room. She wasn’t paying attention. And when my husband and I, broke our makeout session, there were other couples still hugging/kissing/groping.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOVANDO For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
When the visiting room is packed with people leaving at end of day visit, some of those COs ain’t paying attention to the good bye kiss/hug. At least in my experience. The CO this past Sunday was walking around collecting garbage. Going in/out of the back room. She wasn’t paying attention. And when my husband and I, broke our makeout session, there were other couples still hugging/kissing/groping.

So it sounds like end of day when they wrap it all up is when you wanna go LOL
Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I go at it beginning and end til we’re told to stop.

ILLINOIS.PAL (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yup yup. The only down side to that is not knowing if there is a wait to get in. There have been times when I have gone, gotten there at 1pm sign in and taken back in less than 10 min. Then there are those days, like this past Sunday.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yup yup. The only down side to that is not knowing if there is a wait to get in. There have been times when I have gone, gotten there at 1pm sign in and taken back in less than 10 min. Then there are those days, like this past Sunday.
I’m so stressed over Saturday because I wanna get in for the pix, but I don’t want to get there too late and have to wait a long time, but I don’t want to get there too early and miss pix (( if I have 6 hours, and don’t want to miss pix, when do I go?

Bovando has GTL been going thru for you??
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 PM

[quote=ILLINOIS.PAL;7781802]I’m so stressed over Saturday because I wanna get in for the pix, but I don’t want to get there too late and have to wait a long time, but I don’t want to get there too early and miss pix (( if I have 6 hours, and don’t want to miss pix, when do I go?

Bovando has GTL been going thru for you??[/QUOTE

I got an email on my yahoo account saying I have a message approved but when I logged into GTL, no message.