Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 AM
Calstate Calstate is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 1
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow Medical Soft shoe/sole profile at Calhoun?


My husband has been at Calhoun State Prison since October 2018.
He has been desperately trying to get approval for a soft shoe/soft sole profile from the medical doctor. He has been charged $5 every time he goes to medical and has been denied, even though he has the tennis shoes ordered from the union supply package 6 months ago. He has informed the doctor he has a hernia (previously repaired) which now bulges when he stands on the concrete floors in his crocs, he has bad ankles that pop from a military war-time injury and chronic back pain, all of which could be lessened if he could wear the shoes he has for support. His crocs are literally worn down to nothing. You can actually see through one of them at the heel and the other has a completely blown out side. They donít issue new crocs apparently.

The doctor stated that he has ankle issues too and actually showed my husband his ankle like that was some kind of common thing and then denied his soft shoe profile again. This time he did give him some dollar store looking in-soles for his busted crocs and charged him $5 for those. My husband leaves the dorm every M-F 730a-330pm to teach math for the GED department as a teachers aide and really needs to be able to wear these tennis shoes since heís on his feet all day but can only wear them while inside the dorm.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get approved for the profile?
The doctor asked him if heís told his counselor... which I donít get because he still needs the doctors permission to wear them?!?
I guess his next step is going to be to file a grievance but he really doesnít want to do that and cause any waves.

Has anyone here had their LO be approved to wear tennis shoes at Calhoun state prison and if so, what medical reason did they give for needing the approval.
My poor husband is limping around all broken because of this and I just donít get why they wonít approve the profile!?!

I hope this subforum is still active I see the last post was from a looping while ago! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 06:48 AM
GingerM's Avatar
GingerM GingerM is offline
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 5,920
Thanks: 8,130
Thanked 8,890 Times in 3,463 Posts

Hi CalState, and welcome to PTO. I've given you your own thread as I believe this topic deserves to not be buried in the Calhoun thread since it's a medical issue that others might experience in other facilities.

That said, I'm not overly familiar with GA prisons, but...

Do you have a HIIPA form signed by him? One that allows Medical to talk to you? If so, you may be able to call medical and see if there's a reason why they're denying the shoe profile for him.

And if Medical asked if he spoke to his counselor, it's probably because the counselor would be responsible for any ADA things. Since the ankle injury was a wartime injury to begin with, he may very well fall into the category of ADA requirements. I would definitely tell him to set an appt with his counselor and go discuss this with the counselor. Make sure he mentions the phrase "ADA" - it can work magic.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM
GaReform GaReform is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,140
Thanks: 720
Thanked 2,077 Times in 814 Posts

I agree, you need him to have you down on his signed medical release form. There is a protocol & if it isn't followed it can make things uncomfortable for him. Here is a link to the DOC Ombudsman's site that describes the process & how to contact them if you need help.
Q. Who do I contact if my loved one is not receiving the proper medical treatment in prison?

A. While you may contact the following people on your loved one's behalf; we ask that you encourage your loved one to utilize the inmate grievance process. Please attempt to contact the following staff in this order: inmate's counselor, chief counselor, Deputy Warden of Care & Treatment, Warden, Regional Director, and then, Ombudsman staff.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you obtain a "soft shoe pass"? tplechas General Prison Talk 4 08-31-2012 11:43 PM
Man Went To Jail For The Sole Purpose To Receive Medical Care orchidia_168 World Prison News 0 06-21-2011 10:18 PM
Its over! (Divorced and sole custody) Sunflower The Nimuay Domestic Violence Support Forum 20 09-06-2010 02:00 PM
NYTimes:For a Successful U.S. Attorney, High-Profile Victories Call for a Low-Profile titantoo New York Prison News & Events 0 04-25-2005 11:19 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics