Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Colorado should be posted here.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelperryco View Post
i was told that th CO legislature was considering making prd time mrd if inmate was doing wel!, no writeups etc. anyone know who is in charge of this bill so we can support it?
What is "PRD"? Do you mean PED?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM

I had a case manager at Kit Carson tell me that there is no method to parole, they do what they feel like that day. She said that she can advocate and recommend parole but her word is as good as the inmates and in most cases the decision is made before the hearing. When I finally got paroled I had a statement to make but the hearing officer stopped me and said that he didn't need to hear it. I walked out of the room and was told to wait there until my case manager was done with her next hearing and she came out and told me I was paroled. I had 2 writeups within the past 6 months of my hearing and they still let me go.....

I would always recommend that the parole plan is solid and the letters of support say how you are going to support that person and thats it. He will have a job, I will drive him, I will support him financially, no fluff because they read 100's of these letters
The Following User Says Thank You to CDOCoffender For This Useful Post:
saoirse1 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDOCoffender View Post
I had a case manager at Kit Carson tell me that there is no method to parole, they do what they feel like that day. She said that she can advocate and recommend parole but her word is as good as the inmates and in most cases the decision is made before the hearing. When I finally got paroled I had a statement to make but the hearing officer stopped me and said that he didn't need to hear it. I walked out of the room and was told to wait there until my case manager was done with her next hearing and she came out and told me I was paroled. I had 2 writeups within the past 6 months of my hearing and they still let me go.....

I would always recommend that the parole plan is solid and the letters of support say how you are going to support that person and thats it. He will have a job, I will drive him, I will support him financially, no fluff because they read 100's of these letters

You sound like a parole board member I recently talked to. What's your definition of a "solid" parole plan?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Beach Girl

Post Solid plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
You sound like a parole board member I recently talked to. What's your definition of a "solid" parole plan?
Iím not the original poster but when my husband saw the parole board last year they said it was a solid plan but they wanted to wait a bit longer to let him out. Next hearing is this August! (Crossing fingers)

Our parole plan was
Parenting time with child
Employment information & contact information
Class schedule (for continuing rehabilitation outside of prison)
Housing and housemate information
Letter from future employer if released
Letters from his support system
Letters from past employer
We also mentioned what heís accomplished on the inside..
As well as how long ago the crime was, how long he was ďfreeĒ before sentencing showing no infractions, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
I think that a solid parole plan is specific information that shows the board that you have a detailed plan on how you will be stable when released. It is good to have a place to go when released that is a stable household with no criminal background. I personally believe that the board wants to see a family member or husband/wife rather than a girlfriend/boyfriend or a friend. You want someone who has lived in the same place for a long period of time, and when they look up the address you don't want to see that the police have been called to the address. Your parole sponsor should be a stable person with no criminal record that has a stable life and income so that they will be able to support the parolee. Your parole sponsor should write a support letter stating that they are able and willing to provide you with everything you need to be successful while on parole including rides to/from work and all programming, financial support, help finding a job ect. You parole plan should also include potential employers being as specific as possible to include name of the business along with address and phone number if possible. In the letter the inmate writes to the parole board they should include information about where they will work and how they will get that job and why they are qualified for that position. Again it should be as specific as possible.

Basically when I say a solid parole plan I mean one that is detailed and a plan that will show stability. The only thing that the parole board is concerned about is that their statistics look good so they want to parole people who will be able to successfully complete parole. You want to convince the board that you have a stable support system in place so that you can complete parole. The board doesn't want to see that you might end up homeless or will be struggling to make enough money to support yourself. They want to see that you will have as little stress as possible in your life because that leads to violations. I think that its a good idea for the sponsor to include a statement in their support letter that they are able and willing to financially support the parolee. Anything that a sponsor can do to show that life will be as easy as possible for the parolee is a good thing.
Also make sure that the inmate writes the parole board their own letter of support. The parole plan that we fill out is just a standard form so when the inmate writes his/her own support letter it should include specific details about the information that he/she has listed on the parole plan. A mistake a lot of inmates make is not writing that letter and just assuming that they will give those details when they make their statement to the board member, however like I said before the board member has basically made their decision before they do the hearing.
Another thing that a case manager told me is that the parole board doesn't really look at all the certificates that an inmate receives while they are in prison, the board member will get their information about the inmate by looking through the KRON's in the inmates file. So make sure that your inmate is notifying their case manager when they complete a class and asking the case manager to KRON it. A KRON is like a note that the case manager makes in the inmates file. We are required to see our case manager once a month and the case manager is required to KRON that meeting, so its a good idea to make sure that when the inmate meets with the case manager he/she tries to make sure that something positive is what is noted from that meeting. Its always good to talk to your case manager about how supportive your family is and mention to them that you have been in contact with them. Also as a family member be sure to remember that if you contact the case manager that contact will be noted so be very careful as to what you say and think long and hard about why you contact the inmates case manager. If your reason for contacting the case manager will not look good when summarised in a note in the inmates file it might not be a good idea to contact them in the first place.

I know that I wrote a lot of information, I am just trying to give you an idea of what I know from being in prison. As far as my advice goes it's just my personal thoughts on things but I obviously don't know any more than the next person on what a parole board member is thinking when they make their decision. There really doesn't seem to be any logic to who they parole and who they don't. It just seems logical to me that they want their statistics of success to be as high as possible so they will parole people who will have the highest chance of being successful and your job is to show them that you are that person.

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CDOCoffender For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (01-16-2018), nimuay (01-15-2018), saoirse1 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStar View Post
Iím not the original poster but when my husband saw the parole board last year they said it was a solid plan but they wanted to wait a bit longer to let him out. Next hearing is this August! (Crossing fingers)

Our parole plan was
Parenting time with child
Employment information & contact information
Class schedule (for continuing rehabilitation outside of prison)
Housing and housemate information
Letter from future employer if released
Letters from his support system
Letters from past employer
We also mentioned what heís accomplished on the inside..
As well as how long ago the crime was, how long he was ďfreeĒ before sentencing showing no infractions, etc.
How long was his set back?
In my experience when the board does a 6 month setback they just want to see a little more time in and are very likely to parole the inmate at the next hearing.

A one year setback is a blowoff, you are not more or less likely to be paroled when they meet with you in a year. I feel like the year setback might as well be like them just skipping over you for that year.

Pretty much anything less than a 6 month setback means that if you have remained write up free you will be paroled the next time they meet with you. I have never seen anyone not get paroled when they have less than a 6 month setback.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Beach Girl

Quote:
How long was his set back?
In my experience when the board does a 6 month setback they just want to see a little more time in and are very likely to parole the inmate at the next hearing.

A one year setback is a blowoff, you are not more or less likely to be paroled when they meet with you in a year. I feel like the year setback might as well be like them just skipping over you for that year.

Pretty much anything less than a 6 month setback means that if you have remained write up free you will be paroled the next time they meet with you. I have never seen anyone not get paroled when they have less than a 6 month setback.

Hey! Thanks for your response!
Can you explain ďset backĒ? Iím a little tired today and donít want to respond if Iím not getting what youíre saying haha.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Beach Girl

JUST kidding lol.. I just talked to my husband and he explained it to me. He said all the same things that you did. He didn’t get a six month set back, but his next parole hearing is early, but not by six months. Instead of a year it’s 10 months. Not sure why? Either way, his MRD is in 2021. I’m just happy he’s in the center he’s in. He “likes” it there. He’s at Delta (Colorado - Minimum Security).

Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStar View Post
JUST kidding lol.. I just talked to my husband and he explained it to me. He said all the same things that you did. He didnít get a six month set back, but his next parole hearing is early, but not by six months. Instead of a year itís 10 months. Not sure why? Either way, his MRD is in 2021. Iím just happy heís in the center heís in. He ďlikesĒ it there. Heís at Delta (Colorado - Minimum Security).
Glad that he explained it to you, a set back is just the amount of time it will take until the board sees you next. 10 months is weird, I don't understand why they do what they do but maybe they have a reason! If your husband is in some kind of class or if he will hit some sort of milestone in that 10 month period that could be the reason and in that case it would signal that they are ready to release him upon completion which would obviously be a good thing.

My first setback was 9 months, after the 9 months I was paroled however they set my release date 120 days out. I didn't understand why they did that and neither did my case manager but it was nice to have a date! Now I am about to be done with my parole and I can say that parole in Colorado under the current rules is a complete cake walk. In my experience parole has no desire to send me back to prison or just fuck with my life. I have had 2 different parole officers so far and both of them have been very cool and easy to work with. My meetings are once per month and last no more than 5 minutes. There have been times where I have missed UA's and they ask about it but really dont make a big deal about it at all. Let your loved one know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, if they can just get out of prison and make it to parole they will find that life is so much easier.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help you out with.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Beach Girl

Quote:
Glad that he explained it to you, a set back is just the amount of time it will take until the board sees you next. 10 months is weird, I don't understand why they do what they do but maybe they have a reason! If your husband is in some kind of class or if he will hit some sort of milestone in that 10 month period that could be the reason and in that case it would signal that they are ready to release him upon completion which would obviously be a good thing.

My first setback was 9 months, after the 9 months I was paroled however they set my release date 120 days out. I didn't understand why they did that and neither did my case manager but it was nice to have a date! Now I am about to be done with my parole and I can say that parole in Colorado under the current rules is a complete cake walk. In my experience parole has no desire to send me back to prison or just fuck with my life. I have had 2 different parole officers so far and both of them have been very cool and easy to work with. My meetings are once per month and last no more than 5 minutes. There have been times where I have missed UA's and they ask about it but really dont make a big deal about it at all. Let your loved one know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, if they can just get out of prison and make it to parole they will find that life is so much easier.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help you out with.

I appreciate your response! It seems as though a lot of the ďhorror storiesĒ Iíve heard with parole are hit or miss; either the person under supervision simply didnít enjoy following rules, or the PO was awful. So, itís nice to hear a friendly story!
I will be attending his parole hearing this August... itís the first one I will have ever personally attended. I can say that Iím a bit nervous (if Iím being honest), mainly because itís something I havenít experienced. Last year, I actually worked on a Parole Hearing Packet (much more common in Texas and other states than Colorado) and the Parole board actually really appreciated it. My name (and his name) were on it as the creators... and they will receive another one (obviously updated) this time around, except Iíll actually be there to speak if they want/ask me to. Eeek!

Congratulations on wrapping up your parole! What a magnificent thing to complete! How happy are you? I bet youíre feeling very accomplished?