Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:15 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,051 Times in 14,349 Posts

Hey. She's new to the system & has a lot to learn. Beating her over the head repeatedly with the same information isn't helpful. Perhaps rather than telling her over & over what won't work, help her discover what will work or simply wish her well and find another thread

Gadget, have you heard back from the Warden? If not, it must be time to go up one more rung of FL DOC ladder. Let us know how things are going

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-25-2018), LifeTraveler (01-26-2018), Sarianna (01-26-2018), Sunnielg (04-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
OP is new she's on her way to getting him sent to one of the crappier prisons. She and he will learn the hard way. The wardens love getting these types of complaints!!!LOL
Unfortunately for them both, that is exactly what will happen ... via a stay at somewhere like NFRC for a little "tune up" that FLDOC officials are so good at.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,957 Times in 1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCraft View Post
Pardon my 3 cents ... I don't have two ....

FLDOC,like any other prison system in America, provides: Max security inmates can be in max facilities only. Medium security can be in mediums AND maxes. Minimum can be in minimum, medium or max. One can always be in a prison with the same or greater security level; not in a prison with a lesser security level.
This isn’t true and it contradicts itself. The only ones that are separated are death row and CM, PC and the Suicide watch unit (please forgive, I’ve forgotten the technical terminology).

At the main units it’s any custody from minimum to what ever level they house. You can see it on the website of each facility. They try not to bunk a short timer with a lifer in the 2 man cells but, there just isn’t enough space to keep them all separated on custody level.

You must be medium or below to go to a Work Camp and I believe community to go to a Work Release. But, the main units are more segregated under medical and psych grade than custody level.

Please excuse the others, some folks have nothing helpful to offer.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE

Last edited by Anjewel; 01-25-2018 at 08:59 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
nimuay (01-26-2018), patchouli (01-25-2018), Sunnielg (04-06-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

That is incorrect. Again, someone classified minimum can be housed in a medium or max. One can always be housed in a facility of or above their security classification. But it does not work in the reverse. E.g., someone classified max cannot be housed in a medium or minimum security facility.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
That is incorrect. Again, someone classified minimum can be housed in a medium or max. One can always be housed in a facility of or above their security classification. But it does not work in the reverse. E.g., someone classified max cannot be housed in a medium or minimum security facility.

No, I donít believe max or death row are housed with others but we have community, minimum, medium and close here. Community would be really close to EOS and close are what lifers or long term sentenced offenders get. Custody can go up or down depending on behavior as well. But, close are housed with minimum.

I think we are saying the same thing, I hope we are.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

You are correct to the extent that Death Row is kept entirely separate from everyone, max included.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
You are correct to the extent that Death Row is kept entirely separate from everyone, max included.
And, the rest of it, too.

There is also CM and Protected Custody and Isolation Management, Transitional Care, or Crisis Stabilization and letís not forget the youthful offenders.

But, for the majority of the custody grades, minimum through close, they are housed in the same facility unless they are at a WC or WR.

You can read up on Florida State Prison Custody Classification here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
xolady (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Banned

Great. In sum and substance we agree .. lol
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Thanked 5,286 Times in 2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Hey. She's new to the system & has a lot to learn. Beating her over the head repeatedly with the same information isn't helpful. Perhaps rather than telling her over & over what won't work, help her discover what will work or simply wish her well and find another thread

Gadget, have you heard back from the Warden? If not, it must be time to go up one more rung of FL DOC ladder. Let us know how things are going
All personal feeling aside this is a huge mistake she is what is called a nuisance caller!! She is going to make him get transfered to a horrible prison. I do know what I'm talking about and believe me I went as far as the governor, to get medical care and help for my husband. He was a min security prisoner in Dade CI which is one of the worst prisons in Florida he was treated as if he was just a complainer. He died as a result of their medical negligence. So eye glasses and a hurt arm are just petty. and constant complaining will only make stuff worse for him.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
All personal feeling aside this is a huge mistake she is what is called a nuisance caller!! She is going to make him get transfered to a horrible prison. I do know what I'm talking about and believe me I went as far as the governor, to get medical care and help for my husband. He was a min security prisoner in Dade CI which is one of the worst prisons in Florida he was treated as if he was just a complainer. He died as a result of their medical negligence. So eye glasses and a hurt arm are just petty. and constant complaining will only make stuff worse for him.
No. SOMEONE must do SOMETHING about him not being able to see and gettin wrote up for being in the wrong place.

Do any of you know that COULD be considered an escape attempt if he wonders into the wrong spot, corner, cut?

THE ARM IS IFFY, but he MUST be able to see.

The thing is, itís all in how you go about trying to get something taken care of. No one is going to sit still for demands. But, I have gotten lots of things done WITHOUT RETALIATION, from this side.

To GadGet, I am really done going back and forth. Do the very best you can and make sure he knows what you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjewel View Post
No. SOMEONE must do SOMETHING about him not being able to see and gettin wrote up for being in the wrong place.

Do any of you know that COULD be considered an escape attempt if he wonders into the wrong spot, corner, cut?

THE ARM IS IFFY, but he MUST be able to see.

The thing is, itís all in how you go about trying to get something taken care of. No one is going to sit still for demands. But, I have gotten lots of things done WITHOUT RETALIATION, from this side.

To GadGet, I am really done going back and forth. Do the very best you can and make sure he knows what you are doing.
I do know what can and does happen. I also know they are given a complete physical when in reception that includes and eye exam. I have eye problems so I get the need for glasses. Going to the warden and above will only come back to bite him on stuff like this. You have to pick your battles very carefully.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Thanked 2,776 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
He also says that their actions are closely regulated much more than minimum custody inmates usually have.
Since neither of you have any prison or jail experience, I am curious what you are comparing this experience to in order to come to the conclusion that his actions are being regulated ďmuch moreĒ than usual. I think you may have a perception problem... you and he both had an idea of how minimum security inmates might be dealt with and this didnít quite meet your expectations. I could be wrong.

I hope he gets his glasses.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM

Did you try to sneak glasses in and lose visits?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
Did you try to sneak glasses in and lose visits?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:48 PM

That may have been another poster....
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
That may have been another poster....
Yes that was another poster!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-27-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
Anyone know of a good (as good can get in the prison system) minimum security facility that's also able to handle medical (medication and physical difficulties).

My loved on is a non violent first time offender brand new to the system. Is on medication and has joint (knee and shoulder/arm issues) as well as needs glasses. (another inmate broke them in jail and they wont give him or let him have anything to help him to see.)

They now have him in a medium work camp and will not say why he's in a higher level security than listed. He's having physical issues being there.
My son was in Polk, sent to Butler (the FL DOC medical place and REALLY not a nice place) for tests. They found a mass on his liver but did not tell him until after he was sent back to Polk. Now he is at Franklin and has repeatedly asked to go for follow up on the liver, they told him a biopsy was next. But when he went to the medical appt at Franklin they told him they had no record of him being at Butler and don't know anything being wrong with his liver! Classifications seems to be a waste of time, so after some digging around I found the name of the company that handles the medical and the name and number of the person for each camp. Called them and they are supposed to be pulling all of his medical stuff and call me back on Thurs PM. He is not looking forward to bus trips or Butler but the pain is getting to him. And they will make you have a medical POA and you need to keep them updated to be included in any info about them.

On another note about how "wonderful" the FL DOC is when I was talking to the very few vocational teachers he said and I quote...Florida sets them up to fail. He as not had any luck any where he has been in being able to get any kind of GED help, if they cared at all about trying to NOT have them return you would think they might want them to get GED's cause with out that and prison on their list who in the world will hire them?
The Following User Says Thank You to flridges For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flridges View Post
My son was in Polk, sent to Butler (the FL DOC medical place and REALLY not a nice place) for tests. They found a mass on his liver but did not tell him until after he was sent back to Polk. Now he is at Franklin and has repeatedly asked to go for follow up on the liver, they told him a biopsy was next. But when he went to the medical appt at Franklin they told him they had no record of him being at Butler and don't know anything being wrong with his liver! Classifications seems to be a waste of time, so after some digging around I found the name of the company that handles the medical and the name and number of the person for each camp. Called them and they are supposed to be pulling all of his medical stuff and call me back on Thurs PM. He is not looking forward to bus trips or Butler but the pain is getting to him. And they will make you have a medical POA and you need to keep them updated to be included in any info about them.

On another note about how "wonderful" the FL DOC is when I was talking to the very few vocational teachers he said and I quote...Florida sets them up to fail. He as not had any luck any where he has been in being able to get any kind of GED help, if they cared at all about trying to NOT have them return you would think they might want them to get GED's cause with out that and prison on their list who in the world will hire them?
Your certainly right about FDOC and medical!! As far as education forget it!!! My husband was min custody but in one of the worst prisons and almost two years of suffering with colon cancer which the FDOC and medical never treated. He suffered horribly I hope and pray no one ever gets sick in prison, but if it does get a Hippa Release, get your person to apply for compassionate release!!!