Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Question Milan Overall

Hi, My son is looking at going to either Milan or Petersburg facility for the Life Connections program. He wanted to know how things are there. Such as violence, people get along?, activities such as weights. Questions like that. He is currently at Forrest City Low. Would appreciate feed back.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,158 Times in 11,766 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. The 18 month residential Life Connections Program is held in its own housing unit, which reduces the drama significantly. The bop will send him to the program of their choice, so I was sent to Petersburg even though Milan was closer. I found it to be a good way to serve 1 1/2 years of my sentence.

If he is promised a move to a prison closer to home after he graduates from LCP, definitely don't count on that actually happening.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Default Just dropped my son off at Milan.

We just dropped my son off at Milan on Tuesday. Can anyone give me any details on what to expect. I had read that he would have access to email shortly after getting there and had money on his account. They didn't get him booked in until Wednesday and we put money on as soon as he showed up as in custody. How long before they are able to call or email?
Any other info you could give would be wonderful. First time offense, no previous charges so we are completely new to this.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. The amount of time before he can phone, or email you often depends on how quickly he gets to meet with his bop counselor. The first time inside requires additional steps too, but usually everything is accomplished in about one week (unless the counselor is on vacation).

He will provide a list of every phone number he can call, which has to be approved and added to the ITS phone computer. He also has to wait for his 9 digit phone pin to arrive in the mail. I don't know much about email, although other PTO members have posted that the "invitation email", which you have to send a direct reply to, sometimes doesn't arrive. Check your spam folder in case your email provider diverts it, and if he says he sent it, check the address he used, and/or have him send it again.

I hope you hear from him soon.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Just got my letter from the Marshals and it look like I'll be spending roughly the next 6 years at Milan. I'm going in as an SO for possession of CP. Does this facility normally house many SOs? Because I know the more SOs at a facility the less BS I'll have to put up with and just want to try to prepare myself as best as I can.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Petersburg Medium is a SOMP (management) prison, but I don't know about Milan. Once you are inside the last 5 years of your sentence, you can apply for the 18 month residential Life Connections Program (if it still exists by then).

Inmate etiquette is even more important for SOs, so remember to keep your personal business to yourself.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...=592193&page=2
Old 06-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Default What sort of activities do they have at FCI Milan?

I am going to FCI Milan in about 3 weeks. I am curious what they have to do there. Library? Weights? Track? Asking because I've talked to inmates at other facilities that have basketball courts, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to emweave12 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope someone who has been in Milan will answer your questions.

Only old bop prisons have weights since congress decided that the urgent business of government included forbidding the bop from spending any money on buying or repairing weights.

Every bop prison I was in, except for federal detention centers, had a gym. an outdoor track and sports fields, plus exercise equipment. Tennis and handball courts too.

Organized intramural sports teams are big, for basketball, football and softball.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Appreciate the Activity Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope someone who has been in Milan will answer your questions.

Only old bop prisons have weights since congress decided that the urgent business of government included forbidding the bop from spending any money on buying or repairing weights.

Every bop prison I was in, except for federal detention centers, had a gym. an outdoor track and sports fields, plus exercise equipment. Tennis and handball courts too.

Organized intramural sports teams are big, for basketball, football and softball.
Thanks. Yes, I'm definitely headed to Milan. 60 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to emweave12 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:09 AM

I did about half my time at Milan, as far as prison's go it was pretty good, the inside units do take some adjustment, as you really aren't gonna get to watch much TV compared to other prison or units. After you are there for a while u can get into one of the outside units(outside the old compound still inside the fence just a different area, actually everyone even inside units walk past them to get to the rec yard. Outside units are way nicer. There is No AC in this prison or wasn't when i left in 2015, but it was never really that bad it is michigan not florida. They have a unicore factory u can work at if u need money. The inside units are all dorm style except intake which is C unit. The outside units are 3 tiers of room/cells 2 to a room. and the doors are not locked to the common area. So can go out there at night as long as back in room for counts. H unit had pool tables in the unit, G unit (RDAP) where i spent most of my time has excercise equipment. ALL the outside units have plenty of room to watch TV unlike the inside units. Usually TV and Lunch seating is divided up by race.

Except Sex offenders they should eat together and usually do. Some try to pass off their charges as something else but the truth ALWAYS comes out and that can cause problems. Best off not to lie about it. I mean I was in for Drug charges but yes there were plenty of sex offenders in both of the low security prisons i was in. They generally just hang out together and yeah people will occasionally be mean to them but it does not usually escalate to violence unless they have been lying to other inmates about their charges. This is viewed a big sign of disrespect especially if you are trying to hang out with stand up guys that are not sex offenders that is a sure way to make people very angry. Best just to say u dont wanna talk about your charges if your a sex offender and people will just know what that means. Don't think u gonna get away with lying about it people always find out.

As far as prison goes Milan is a fairly good one, it is desirable place to be transferred for other inmates. They have weights, and indoor gym for winter, soft ball field, soccer or football area, a track, bocci ball courts, basketball courts, tennis courts, crafts room for pottery and/or leather work, and also a music room with some instruments.

Movement is done there in 10 min moves on the hour so u have 10 mins to get where u are going. Food was not great but better than some other places i have been. Commissary was not bad either.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 AM

My dad is in for CP charge and is an SO. He is trying to get into the LCP program and I know there is a chance for him to get sent to Milan. Is there a lot of politics there? Is he going to have issues being a SO?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I completed LCP at Petersburg Low, and found less politics and conflict there than I did in general population. I didn't learn much (I had already found out how to write a check in my pre-prison life) but it was still a good way to spend 18 months of my sentence.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinaight View Post
I did about half my time at Milan, as far as prison's go it was pretty good, the inside units do take some adjustment, as you really aren't gonna get to watch much TV compared to other prison or units. After you are there for a while u can get into one of the outside units(outside the old compound still inside the fence just a different area, actually everyone even inside units walk past them to get to the rec yard. Outside units are way nicer. There is No AC in this prison or wasn't when i left in 2015, but it was never really that bad it is michigan not florida. They have a unicore factory u can work at if u need money. The inside units are all dorm style except intake which is C unit. The outside units are 3 tiers of room/cells 2 to a room. and the doors are not locked to the common area. So can go out there at night as long as back in room for counts. H unit had pool tables in the unit, G unit (RDAP) where i spent most of my time has excercise equipment. ALL the outside units have plenty of room to watch TV unlike the inside units. Usually TV and Lunch seating is divided up by race.

Except Sex offenders they should eat together and usually do. Some try to pass off their charges as something else but the truth ALWAYS comes out and that can cause problems. Best off not to lie about it. I mean I was in for Drug charges but yes there were plenty of sex offenders in both of the low security prisons i was in. They generally just hang out together and yeah people will occasionally be mean to them but it does not usually escalate to violence unless they have been lying to other inmates about their charges. This is viewed a big sign of disrespect especially if you are trying to hang out with stand up guys that are not sex offenders that is a sure way to make people very angry. Best just to say u dont wanna talk about your charges if your a sex offender and people will just know what that means. Don't think u gonna get away with lying about it people always find out.

As far as prison goes Milan is a fairly good one, it is desirable place to be transferred for other inmates. They have weights, and indoor gym for winter, soft ball field, soccer or football area, a track, bocci ball courts, basketball courts, tennis courts, crafts room for pottery and/or leather work, and also a music room with some instruments.

Movement is done there in 10 min moves on the hour so u have 10 mins to get where u are going. Food was not great but better than some other places i have been. Commissary was not bad either.
Wow! Ive been away from that place for almost 3 years and this post hit a little too close to home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indy028 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-06-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 PM

Can you help me with information about Milan low in Michigan? Thank you. Does Milan have sports? Do they have any educational programs? Can you hang out with anyone or are you restricted to "your own kind"? My son gets along with everyone. He has been at FCIColeman in Florida for 7 years. He is considering asking for a transfer. I live in Indiana and his wife lives in Michigan. I have cancer and the prognosis is not good. He has lost his dad,both sets of grand parents and I hope I can hang on long enough to see him come home. That's why he's trying to decide on requesting a transfer. I am only a few hours from Milan. He just wants all the info he can get so he can decide. As a so are they restricted from certain activities? Do they have to show their papers in order to watch tv,activities etc. Is it "segregated" I hope not. Any information you can give me would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jane 4224 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-10-2018)