Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Donation Award 

Default Greeting Cards / Post Cards etc Not allowed at CDOC effective March 1, 2018

My loved one told me today that as of March 1st we can no longer send greeting cards or postcards and soon we won't be able to send actual pictures to them. Has anyone else heard about this?
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
peaceout (05-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 AM

I hadn’t heard this, but it makes me want to hurry & send as many pictures as possible.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,496 Times in 4,004 Posts

This is definately the case at buena vista from 1st March 2018 we can no longer send greeting cards.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 01-31-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse1 View Post
My loved one told me today that as of March 1st we can no longer send greeting cards or postcards and soon we won't be able to send actual pictures to them. Has anyone else heard about this?
Yup apparently there is a new AR. Also no colored envelopes This sucks. I'm planning on attending the citizens advocate meeting in April. I would like Admin to address this.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:27 PM

Where can we read the new AR?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM001 View Post
Where can we read the new AR?
It's not posted online yet. I'm going to call constituent services and see if I can get a copy.

JDM001 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM

My LO had a memo (Limon) saying no form of card - greeting or postcard - will be accepted after Feb. I've not seen anything myself though, so any in for would be great - thanks!

Last edited by genrecore; 02-01-2018 at 08:07 AM..
Old 02-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genrecore View Post
My LO had a memo (Limon) saying no form of card - greeting or postcard - will be accepted after Feb. I've not seen anything myself though, so any in for would be great - thanks!
I've requested the AR, as soon as I get something, I'll post/share. I have a feeling they are going to say that the color ink has to do with tattoos or something. My husband got some cards from other offenders and they were rejected - no reason. This is a bunch of BS...

JDM001 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
I've requested the AR, as soon as I get something, I'll post/share. I have a feeling they are going to say that the color ink has to do with tattoos or something. My husband got some cards from other offenders and they were rejected - no reason. This is a bunch of BS...
Ahh you're great - thank you!
New info from my LO - he said that we can still send the cards but they'll just be photocopied and the card itself then destroyed. So many mixed messages! So thank you again for sharing any info you get!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,496 Times in 4,004 Posts

Its sad that we can no longer send cards but looks like several states are doing this now. Just going to have to make the most of valentines this year. My friend says there is nothing on the memo he got about sending photos so for the moment that is ok.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 02-03-2018, 08:17 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,521 Times in 14,377 Posts

for crying out loud.
I dont understand this. If its a post card or greeting card with no glitter or metal
wth, smh.
Whats next.....getting in trouble for smiling. How dare you have anything nice to look at.

sorry. I think this is stupid

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
maytayah (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to reading the AR. Thank you for requesting it. I certainly hope it is not going to rule out "color"! I write letters on papers I recycle from pre-school classes in order to brighten his day. I also print the silliest, mundane pictures of every day life. The greeting card, postcard ban is bad enough. Trying to not get too worked up until we actually read it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM001 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Donation Award 

It will be surprising to me if they send the AR. I have not received one response from Constituent Services since Tom Clements was murdered.
You can send "greeting cards" through Jpay. They print them in color and give them to them. Also they will still be able to send pictures as long as they are printed on paper vs. photo paper. And yes my loved one said they will photo copy the cards but as far as I am concerned that means no cards.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Yup apparently there is a new AR. Also no colored envelopes This sucks. I'm planning on attending the citizens advocate meeting in April. I would like Admin to address this.
Nancy, how can I find out more about this citizens advocate meeting?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Donation Award 

Here is the link:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdo...ocate-meetings
Old 02-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Ok, here is what I found out from DOC. The AR is still being finalized and it should be out within the next couple of weeks. It will be posted on DOC website when it has been finalized. The AR is AR 300-06 which covers searches and contraband (not inmate mail). In the meantime, this is the response i received from DOC:

Good morning and thank you for contacting the Colorado Department of Corrections. The new policy has not yet been posted, it will be posted to our website on the policies page once the update has been finalized. Information regarding the pending policy change may be found below.

The Colorado Department of Corrections has had significant issues with dangerous drugs being introduced through the mail via greeting cards, post cards, and items containing drawings. To close this avenue for the introduction of dangerous drugs and preserve the safe operations of our facilities, the Department will implement the following measures.

Effective March 1, 2018, incoming offender mail will not be permitted if it contains a greeting card, post card, or any item containing drawings. Offenders will be provided with a black and white photo copy of the disallowed mail, and the original mail will be disposed of in accordance with Administrative Regulation 300-06 Searches and Contraband Control.

In accordance with AR 300-06, as long as the mail is not deemed dangerous contraband, the offender may have the item mailed home or the offender can choose to have it destroyed.

I did ask about photos (as I heard they would not be allowed) and envelopes. I was told that at this point, photos and envelopes are not included but each facility can adopt their own policy/IA.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
David (02-07-2018), genrecore (02-06-2018), JDM001 (02-06-2018), maytayah (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate the effort it took. Drawings?! And they will photo copy them?! The delay in the delivery of the mail is already bad enough. Are they hiring more personnel?! The cost in the implementation of the proposed policy is absurd. What about sending color photos that are printed on paper - any idea? Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the advocacy meeting. Thank you for being my voice. Please let me know if I can provide a letter or a signature or, or... anything that may be of any help in addressing this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM001 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Donation Award 

I have been told that they will accept photos on paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse1 View Post
I have been told that they will accept photos on paper.
That makes sense since they have jpay. According to DOC, there is not a change in actual photos.

JDM001 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,521 Times in 14,377 Posts

Does not pass the smell test for me.
If I had a loved one in a prison in CO, i'd be really ticked off.
Drugs being sent in thru the mail.
Why not keep a dog in the mail room and have it check out all bags of mail to be worked.
How the hell do you put drugs in a postcard?
(not that I really want to know but you get my drift)

Sounds like they are going to need to hire some more folks in the mail room.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018), saoirse1 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Well, here is the reason for no more greeting cards. It's always a couple of idiots that ruin things for everyone!

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/0...ription-drugs/

Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Does not pass the smell test for me.
If I had a loved one in a prison in CO, i'd be really ticked off.
Drugs being sent in thru the mail.
Why not keep a dog in the mail room and have it check out all bags of mail to be worked.
How the hell do you put drugs in a postcard?
(not that I really want to know but you get my drift)

Sounds like they are going to need to hire some more folks in the mail room.

I know how people are getting drugs in post cards and greeting cards.. I obviously wont post how here, but if you feel the urge you can watch LOCKED UP on Netflix. They flat out explain it. Lol

My husband is in a CO Prison and to be honest, Im not too upset about this. I get it. No harm no foul. If anything I appreciate them working harder to get drugs out of prisons. But Im a weirdo. Lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissStar For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018), sidewalker (02-18-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStar View Post
I know how people are getting drugs in post cards and greeting cards.. I obviously won’t post how here, but if you feel the urge you can watch LOCKED UP on Netflix. They flat out explain it. Lol

My husband is in a CO Prison and to be honest, I’m not too upset about this. I get it. No harm no foul. If anything I appreciate them working harder to get drugs out of prisons. But I’m a weirdo. Lol
I totally agree with measures to keep drugs out of the prisons. The mail is not the main channel though. In keeping to the topic of mail only, there are other more cost effective and environmentally friendly options available. There are no children in my specific case, but imagine the difference in receiving a black and white copy of your child's drawing versus the colored original. I think the ban on color is ridiculous. Our loved ones need brightness in their days. For many, greeting cards express feelings they can't put into words themselves. I do understand many states have already or plan on banning greeting cards. I wish CO was not one of them. Maybe the AR could be amended to color copies instead of black and white

Last edited by JDM001; 02-13-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM
Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM001 View Post
I totally agree with measures to keep drugs out of the prisons. The mail is not the main channel though. In keeping to the topic of mail only, there are other more cost effective and environmentally friendly options available. There are no children in my specific case, but imagine the difference in receiving a black and white copy of your child's drawing versus the colored original. I think the ban on color is ridiculous. Our loved ones need brightness in their days. For many, greeting cards express feelings they can't put into words themselves. I do understand many states have already or plan on banning greeting cards. I wish CO was not one of them. Maybe the AR could be amended to color copies instead of black and white

In my husbands Center, all photos and e cards he get (through JPay) are color.. so pictures of his daughter from me have always been in color.. When I send him artwork? I scan it to make an electronic copy of it, and send it via JPay so he gets it in color and its sure to make it to him without any issues. I guess for me, I just see it as another reason to use Jpays services. (JPay is probably making a fortune off these changes). He is an artist so he gets nervous getting original work from the kids because it could get ruined in there. But I realize everyone is different.
I do agree it should be printed out in color if they photocopy a card.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStar View Post
I know how people are getting drugs in post cards and greeting cards.. I obviously wont post how here, but if you feel the urge you can watch LOCKED UP on Netflix. They flat out explain it. Lol

My husband is in a CO Prison and to be honest, Im not too upset about this. I get it. No harm no foul. If anything I appreciate them working harder to get drugs out of prisons. But Im a weirdo. Lol
My concern is the greeting cards and kids drawings. If someone is doing just a few years it probably is no big deal. My husband has been down for a very long time and has been in all the high security prisons in Colorado. Through the years he has identified several inmates (most doing extensive sentences) who never receive mail (I mean NO mail). We make it a point to send these offenders a Christmas card every year. You would be surprised at how much joy it brings them. So yeah, it's a big deal and it sucks. Again, just a couple idiots that refuse to follow the rules and break the law ruin it for everyone else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018), patchouli (02-22-2018)