Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

To put some of the speculation and worries at bay I'm quoting "Director’s Instruction # 345 , Integrated Housing Process and Procedures". In short, those who refuse to sign will be on permanent phase 1 but there will be no other disciplinary sanctions against them for refusal to house. My soon to be ex husband is at Lewis Stiner and they've been told (so take it for gossip) that those who refuse to sign will mostly be moved to Lewis. The same happened when they integrated Tucson-Santa Rita, those refusing to sign were moved to Eyman-Rynning (was GP at that time) and then to elsewhere in the state. This WILL start 3/1 for all MEDIUM (3) yards in AZ (with the exception of privately ran prisons, who may or may not).

https://corrections.az.gov/sites/def.../DI/di_345.pdf
Quote:
Integrated Housing Program Declaration
1.5.1 Inmates who refuse to house with any other race and the department has determined
that the inmate does not have a valid reason for this declaration shall be placed in the
Earned Incentive Program Phase I and/or Step 1 (for those inmates housed in
maximum custody) until such time the inmate revises his/her declaration
1.5.2 This form will remain in effect during the inmate’s entire incarceration, unless
rescinded by the inmate in writing. The inmate does not need to be re-interviewed
for each housing assignment.
1.5.2.1 An inmate who refuses a bed housing assignment, regardless of the
inmate’s declaration, shall be placed in Phase I and/or Step I until such
time they accept the housing assignment or an equivalent housing
assignment.
1.5.3 If at any time during incarceration an inmate wishes to change their decision about
housing with another race, they may notify their assigned CO III, in writing, for
review of appropriate housing assignment.
1.5.3.1 The CO III shall complete a new Integrated Housing Program
Declaration form and update the appropriate AIMS screen.
1.5.4 Inmates who are identified as Refuse to House (RH) shall not be subject to
disciplinary action or detention placement.

Page 4 of 4
1.5.5 Inmates who are identified as RH shall complete at a minimum the following
programming:
1.5.5.1 Living with Others.
1.5.5.2 Tolerating Differences.
CharleysGirl (02-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
With blacks and whites and hispanics and natives sharing bunks, chow tables, lockers, etc.

Even in the dorm settings, in AZ, things are still very much segregated. Nobody bunks with someone outside their race.

That’s bizarre. Is this segregation only in state-run prisons, only in max security, or what?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZski View Post
That’s bizarre. Is this segregation only in state-run prisons, only in max security, or what?
It's in every state facility from min to max and most privately run prisons except for the 1 or 2 that have already been integrated. Tucson-Santa Rita and one at Florence I believe. I've not seen any AZ prison that wasn't segregated unless it was a SO or PC yard or a private facility (Kingman and Red Rock are segregated. I don't know about Marana or the GEOs for DWI) which I have no information about as I don't have anyone to report back from there. In dorm settings you only bunk with your own race. In cell settings you only cell with your own race.

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 02-20-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 02-26-2018, 05:12 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,151 Times in 446 Posts

I don't know what you mean that in dorm settings you only bunk with your own race?

At Cerbat it's dorms and they alternate the races in the bunks. So they are not bunking only with their own. It has been mandatory to alternate races in the rows of bunks, all of which are single level, for at least the last 4 years.

In regards to the document they sign to house, the form they were shown at Cerbat gives them the options of choosing which races. So a white can indicate they are willing to house with Hispanic but not Blacks, or whatever combination. Since there are not an equal number of each race at the prisons in Arizona, I am not sure what they expect will happen, as the end result would, based only on the numbers, have same race next to each other or sharing a cell.

GEO hasn't officially stated what their policy will be in regards to the court's decision on integration.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
At Cerbat it's dorms and they alternate the races in the bunks. So they are not bunking only with their own. It has been mandatory to alternate races in the rows of bunks, all of which are single level, for at least the last 4 years.
This is not the case on state yards and I had been told by inmates at Kingman that it wasn't the case there so I'm not sure. Like I said, I don't know how the private prisons are running things...but on state yards you don't bunk outside your race.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Liz

Quote:
This is not the case on state yards and I had been told by inmates at Kingman that it wasn't the case there so I'm not sure. Like I said, I don't know how the private prisons are running things...but on state yards you don't bunk outside your race.
My LO had been first at Hualapai and then at Cerbat for 5 years. Hualapai was pods which is a bit different than dorms, and I have no idea how Huachuca was laid out when rebuilt as it didnt affeect me.

Cerbat dorms the beds are assigned alternating the races. It is an open room with 100 beds in several rows divided only by low furniture. There is a piece of furniture or low wall at the head and back of each bed. Hard for me to describe, some of them sketched it for me a couple different times.

There is some movement based on requests as some locations are more desireable. There are more of other races than whites with Native Americans being the least. The systerm was the same under MTC and GEO. One thing GEO does differently is try to keep outside workers together. It makies population movement and control more effective.

Anyway, being in dorms, the general consensus by inmates and staff as I hear it, is they are already integrated. They eat in separate groups and other things so they worry integration, if GEO jumps on the bandwagon , will force them to intermix in their other daily activities.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
My LO had been first at Hualapai and then at Cerbat for 5 years. Hualapai was pods which is a bit different than dorms, and I have no idea how Huachuca was laid out when rebuilt as it didnt affeect me.

Cerbat dorms the beds are assigned alternating the races. It is an open room with 100 beds in several rows divided only by low furniture. There is a piece of furniture or low wall at the head and back of each bed. Hard for me to describe, some of them sketched it for me a couple different times.

There is some movement based on requests as some locations are more desireable. There are more of other races than whites with Native Americans being the least. The systerm was the same under MTC and GEO. One thing GEO does differently is try to keep outside workers together. It makies population movement and control more effective.

Anyway, being in dorms, the general consensus by inmates and staff as I hear it, is they are already integrated. They eat in separate groups and other things so they worry integration, if GEO jumps on the bandwagon , will force them to intermix in their other daily activities.
I understand the dorm setting, Stiner is set up very similar. But at Stiner it's segregated even in the bunks and obviously at chow tables and such. Lewis warden tried to argue that because several yards there are dorms they are already integrated, but that didn't fly. I really hope GEO doesn't jump on, just to save a few inmates the headache.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisPrettyBird View Post
Due to a lawsuit, it had been decided that Arizona prisons can no longer segregate inmates based on race. This is supposed to be fully implemented by 2021 and is starting at Florence.

The upside of this is there will be incentives for inmates who comply, so I'm hoping it might mean new things like the mp3 players.

I recognize that this is going to cause a lot of stress for a lot of families but I'm trying to focus on the positive.

What do you guys think?
After seeing Yuma’s riot on the news I believe this is the worst idea ever!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hiswife1215 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-19-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I understand the dorm setting, Stiner is set up very similar. But at Stiner it's segregated even in the bunks and obviously at chow tables and such. Lewis warden tried to argue that because several yards there are dorms they are already integrated, but that didn't fly. I really hope GEO doesn't jump on, just to save a few inmates the headache.
Stiner is slowly intergrating.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Default 4yard integration

Which 4yards will become intergration yards and when
Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdlady545 View Post
Which 4yards will become intergration yards and when
Close custody (4 Yards) will be done last.

Phase Dates Units
I 1/1/16-1/1/17 ASPC-Tucson, Santa Rita Unit
ASPC-Florence, North Unit Yard II
II 1/1/17-3/1/18 All minimum/medium custody female units
All minimum/medium protective custody units
All dormitory sex offender units
III 3/1/18-6/1/19 All minimum/medium custody general population units
IV 6/1/19-6/1/20 All maximum custody units
V 6/1/20-6/1/21 All close custody units
Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 PM

so why are they starting to have them sign and etc if its not for awhile there getting them all worked up to soon
Old 03-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
so why are they starting to have them sign and etc if its not for awhile there getting them all worked up to soon
What 4 yard are they having them sign on?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Idk if there signing but my husband said his head told them if they sign there getting beat up and have to go to pc smh he’s at morey so idk if there actually signing but that’s what he told me
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Idk if there signing but my husband said his head told them if they sign there getting beat up and have to go to pc smh he’s at morey so idk if there actually signing but that’s what he told me
This has been said and the rumors have spread across all housing levels for the last 2 years but they are just starting to have people sign on 3 yards, except for Santa Rita in Tucson which was one of the first integrated...and they moved hundreds who wouldn't sign off that yard.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Oh ok I see that’s drama
The Following User Says Thank You to byrdlady545 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-19-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 10:51 PM

Default Rincon unit

Hi I need some help does anyone know if Rincon unit is a IHP yard
Old 04-06-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoya72 View Post
To my knowledge the only units totally integrated are Santa Rita and Florence North
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Did rincon split into a 3 yard and a 4 yard or is it still just a 4? I'm on mobile and can't look at the moment.

If it's a 4 they will be among the last to integrate. If it's part 3 then they will begin integrating that side now.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
As a follow up to my previous post (after researching off my phone) ALL of Rincon is close custody and therefore will be one of the last to integrate.
https://s18.postimg.org/rk4h3cift/Capture.jpg
Old 04-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Liz

Quote:
One of the differences is that there are no bunk beds at Cerbat. If bunk beds, then the rules change.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-11-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 PM

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know theee is a 4yard That’s interstates and gas been for months it’s rynning at eyman
Old 07-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Question Integration- Tucson, Winchester unit

My son just informed me yesterday that they were gathered together and taken to a large room. They were then taken one by one by a guard to review the "incentives" to signing the paperwork to house with any race. Without stating here what decision my son made, no one was moved off the yard. Perhaps they have nowhere to take those refusing to sign, or they are changing the way they are proceding with the process (after trial and error) on the previous yards. He did tell me he heard "it's all bad on Santa Rita", this is of course prison gossip. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of how the integration process is going so far?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee4life For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4life View Post
My son just informed me yesterday that they were gathered together and taken to a large room. They were then taken one by one by a guard to review the "incentives" to signing the paperwork to house with any race. Without stating here what decision my son made, no one was moved off the yard. Perhaps they have nowhere to take those refusing to sign, or they are changing the way they are proceding with the process (after trial and error) on the previous yards. He did tell me he heard "it's all bad on Santa Rita", this is of course prison gossip. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of how the integration process is going so far?
I've heard both sides of Santa Rita. I have a close friend there who says there's a lot of lames but that it keeps him out of trouble. It was his last choice before PC. I've heard from other inmates and CO's alike that there are problems there with extortion and rape. Nobody who's there wants to risk going to a non-ihp yard from there. It's a difficult time for sure.
Lee4life (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4life View Post
I will add that my friend is a short timer. He's been in AZ for many years but for THIS stint he's on short time and headed to the feds next year. He was also politically affiliated in the past but drug debt and bad deals caught up to him. Signing IHP if you have a long stint is a bit different.
Lee4life (07-11-2018)