Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:37 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,131 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
For my hardcore 57 crew--

Anyone heard anything new that needs posting? Nothing has been updated on the CDC site since Nov. Final commentary period closed Dec 26th(?). It's been quiet since. Any public meetings, letter campaigns, anything?

Are we calling this the final set of regs? If so, I'd like to bring us into the fourth and final new thread for this prop with some streamlining of info. I'm happy to do that this week but want to make sure that we're actually there.

All has been quiet from all of my internal and external contacts about Prop.57
I have been stuck in Fresno office for the last two weeks. Still nothing has popped up on the radar either way
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I know they're applying them for education at my husband's facility. It's his job to submit them to the counselors and he recently had two weeks removed for his own studies. I'm not sure if it's a facility-by-facility case, though.

Those credits had been held because there was a lot of miscalculations. Some based on a computing error and some because inmates had repeated programming and earned credits twice when they weren't eligible to do so (like GED testing). Those have had to be audited. It's a mess. But as far as know, at least for education, they should be earning them again.
Do you know if they are applying milestone also? My husband's education and milestones are all still "frozen", according to his counselor, until they get word from Sacramento that they are allowed to apply them, which it sounds like they are in some prisons.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,157 Times in 6,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmybrat View Post
Do you know if they are applying milestone also? My husband's education and milestones are all still "frozen", according to his counselor, until they get word from Sacramento that they are allowed to apply them, which it sounds like they are in some prisons.
I'm not sure. I'll ask. They're on mod program this week for searches so I won't be able to until this weekend.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

From the recent LSA newsletter.

Judge rules that 57 does NOT have the scope to exclude those who have completed a term for a violent sex offense and are in on a new charge from the NVO process.

This also touches on the list of crimes considered violent and the application of 667.5 as a guideline for defining non-violent crimes.

It appears that 57 will have language changes based on these challenges. So, we're not quite to (final) final regs yet. If challenges continue, this could go on for a while. Hang in there with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57a.jpg (113.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 57b.jpg (158.4 KB, 17 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanked 1,033 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
If challenges continue, this could go on for a while. Hang in there with us.
Very interesting. We thought the initial proposition was intentionally vague. As a result, nobody (inmates, us, voting public) knew what Scott Kernan and Jerry Brown really intended. I remember Dee talking about potential for legal challenges. Here we go. The first challenge succeeded. The first sentence of this newsletter "In a harbinger of what may be things to come" made me smile.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 4,666 Times in 1,863 Posts

There were definitely legal challenges coming and I don’t think this is anywhere near the end of the process.

My biggest concern is that even in a state that is solidly leaning left and toward reform, some things will give people pause and cause their next votes to backtrack on some of that reform. This law was not designed to benefit those with convictions for violent sex offenses. If this ruling is spun that way (and it will be) that could be a rallying cry behind the campaign to expand the list of violent offenses.

We’ll see what transpires.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-01-2018), miamac (03-01-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:03 AM

'Hi Lady's Wanted To Ask/See If Ya'll Heard From Your Loves Ones About The CDCR Not Giving Them The Right % Of % They Gotta Do , My Husband Was Telling Me A Lot Of Inmates Where Talking About The State Took Over The CDCR Because They Wasn't Giving Their Right % Or Dropping Their % From Prop 57 .
Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post
'Hi Lady's Wanted To Ask/See If Ya'll Heard From Your Loves Ones About The CDCR Not Giving Them The Right % Of % They Gotta Do , My Husband Was Telling Me A Lot Of Inmates Where Talking About The State Took Over The CDCR Because They Wasn't Giving Their Right % Or Dropping Their % From Prop 57 .
I haven't heard anyone not having the correct percentage applied to their EPD. I think some folks are still trying to apply the percentage to the whole sentence. Unfortunately, CDCR opted to only apply the new rate from April 1(?) 2017 to the original EPD. Why? I don't know. But that equates to a drastically different amount of time to serve than applying it to the whole sentence.

CDCR is the state agency responsible for determining credits. There was a temporary and potentially still active freeze on applying credits that came from Sacramento because of miscalculations, but those were milestones and education to the best of my knowledge and not percentage.
missingdee (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I haven't heard anyone not having the correct percentage applied to their EPD. I think some folks are still trying to apply the percentage to the whole sentence. Unfortunately, CDCR opted to only apply the new rate from April 1(?) 2017 to the original EPD. Why? I don't know. But that equates to a drastically different amount of time to serve than applying it to the whole sentence.

CDCR is the state agency responsible for determining credits. There was a temporary and potentially still active freeze on applying credits that came from Sacramento because of miscalculations, but those were milestones and education to the best of my knowledge and not percentage.
Oh Okay Thank You For The Info/Help
The Following User Says Thank You to AdalineNChris For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-02-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Got the latest on credit application:

Memo from Sac about three weeks ago clarified the process for applying educational and milestone credits. So all facilities should be doing that. If they're not, I can't explain why and folks inside need to be asking their counselors/program staff what the hold up is.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Do you happen to have a copy of that memo? I'm curious to read it. My husband has talks to his counselor weekly, and they claim they haven't been told to implement credits yet. They aren't helpful, in any way whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmybrat View Post
Do you happen to have a copy of that memo? I'm curious to read it. My husband has talks to his counselor weekly, and they claim they haven't been told to implement credits yet. They aren't helpful, in any way whatsoever.
I don't. It was issued to staff. The only reason he was able to tell me about it was because his boss (teacher) showed it to the aides who keep the records. :/

I'll see what I can do about getting the information and get it shared.

-First find (not the re-start memo but in regard to why they were suspended): Prop 57 Addendum 2/2018

Last edited by miamac; 03-04-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I don't. It was issued to staff. The only reason he was able to tell me about it was because his boss (teacher) showed it to the aides who keep the records. :/

I'll see what I can do about getting the information and get it shared.
Thank you
Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
From the recent LSA newsletter.

Judge rules that 57 does NOT have the scope to exclude those who have completed a term for a violent sex offense and are in on a new charge from the NVO process.

This also touches on the list of crimes considered violent and the application of 667.5 as a guideline for defining non-violent crimes.

It appears that 57 will have language changes based on these challenges. So, we're not quite to (final) final regs yet. If challenges continue, this could go on for a while. Hang in there with us.
This didn't last long. Jerry Brown's office is fighting this in court. Claiming allowing sex offenders parole consideration "does not reflect the intent of California’s voters".

Prop 57 made no mention of excluding them. Brown's office claimed the "governor promised voters that all sex offenders would be excluded". He "promised"? That's all it takes for the government to be heard in court? I wish it was that easy for the rest of us peons.

No non-violent sex offenders will get consideration as long as Brown's office fights. And will never get consideration if they win. Prop 57 advocates fought this exclusion and others through the public input period with no consideration. The judge and court agreed with our opinion. Still CDCR and the governor have no interest in listening.

This speaks volumes. In case anyone wondered about their intentions to "listen" to our comments on their regulations.

https://wtop.com/national/2018/03/ca...sex-offenders/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-06-2018), missingdee (03-20-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 PM

PTO Moderator 

CA: Judge Issues Final Ruling in Prop. 57 Case
You can read what the Judges says
CA Proposition 57 early parole consideration – Final Order – March 2018 I have read a little bit of it but will hold my thoughts until I finish reading the whole Order. The fight is just started with Prop.57. Note what section B of the introduction.says

Last edited by Patrickj; 03-06-2018 at 06:57 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-06-2018), miamac (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
CA: Judge Issues Final Ruling in Prop. 57 Case
You can read what the Judges says
CA Proposition 57 early parole consideration – Final Order – March 2018 I have read a little bit of it but will hold my thoughts until I finish reading the whole Order. The fight is just started with Prop.57. Note what section B of the introduction.says
The final final? Lol
Give me til the end of the week to give a read and then I will close this thread and open our next chapter.

As always, I want to thank those who have stayed on in the thread and made concerted efforts to keep abreast of issues, alert folks to deadlines and opportunities to participate as well as taking your personal time to research and answer collective questions. This monster is still morphing, but with your help we've been able to tame it just a bit. Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-06-2018), Patrickj (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
The final final? Lol
Give me til the end of the week to give a read and then I will close this thread and open our next chapter.

As always, I want to thank those who have stayed on in the thread and made concerted efforts to keep abreast of issues, alert folks to deadlines and opportunities to participate as well as taking your personal time to research and answer collective questions. This monster is still morphing, but with your help we've been able to tame it just a bit. Thank you.

We now have a court saying CDCR wrote Regulations that are not in compliance with how Prop.57 was written. Looking at a very long court battle here. .
Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
We now have a court saying CDCR wrote Regulations that are not in compliance with how Prop.57 was written. Looking at a very long court battle here. .
What a mess.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-06-2018), missingdee (03-20-2018), Patrickj (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I skimmed that. Wow. So glad to see the court take CDCR to task. They handled Prop 57 with a god-like attitude.

I agree. Long court battle. Now that one got traction, I bet there will be more lawsuits on every ambiguity they deliberately created.

And the legislature is going to get involved. The ruling said as much. More legislation and laws? More propositions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-20-2018), Patrickj (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
I skimmed that. Wow. So glad to see the court take CDCR to task. They handled Prop 57 with a god-like attitude.

I agree. Long court battle. Now that one got traction, I bet there will be more lawsuits on every ambiguity they deliberately created.

And the legislature is going to get involved. The ruling said as much. More legislation and laws? More propositions?

Yes lets hope any new legislation, and laws is in a positive way. I get the feeling the tide of public support is going to get turned around. What little progress is being made could get destroyed
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Thanked 1,014 Times in 477 Posts

Can someone point me to the latest chart on vocational milestone credit? I can only find a chart from 2014. My son was in an Electronics program at previous prison and has not received any credit. We want to verify whether he should have received credit. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by marie8899; 03-19-2018 at 09:22 PM..
Old 03-23-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Non Violent Parole Review

Can you guys give me some advice about non violent parole review. My son is up for review by end of April and i have already send by email and mail letters of support hoping they get there on time to his file when they review it. Do you think i should look for an attorney?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
Can you guys give me some advice about non violent parole review. My son is up for review by end of April and i have already send by email and mail letters of support hoping they get there on time to his file when they review it. Do you think i should look for an attorney?
A review is just that-- a board member reviews his C-file and makes a decision based on that and his letters of support. There is nothing (to my knowledge) an attorney can do to better his chances as the items in the C-file cannot be changed*. If he's been programming and staying out of trouble, that's the best plan for earning an approval.

*There are occasionally errors in a C-file. Your loved one should be given the opportunity to view everything but the confidential reports and if an error is found, he can try to get that rectified. But again, not anything an attorney would be needed for.

I believe the last approval stat I heard was less than 30%. I hope he beats the odds. Please let us know how it goes.
The Rock (03-25-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:23 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
Can someone point me to the latest chart on vocational milestone credit? I can only find a chart from 2014. My son was in an Electronics program at previous prison and has not received any credit. We want to verify whether he should have received credit. Thanks in advance.
The milestone credits are listed at the end of Prop 57 regs. Scroll alllll the way down (it's a long one!).

If your son is a VO, make sure he completed the course according the timeline that allowed for milestone earning, that is that he completed it after August 1, 2017.
marie8899 (04-14-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Thank for the information, i was not sure how they do non violent parole review under Prop 57. So the commissioner is the only one who decide if he gets out on parole based on c-file and support letters, don't they send a letter to DA for recommendation and victims on the case (in this case there were no victims).
Closed Thread