Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Any thoughts on mistreatment of inmates?

Is there anything that can be done about mistreatment by guards? My boyfriend is worried about a riot due to the guards taking away privileges for no reason and mistreating the prisoners. Is there anything that I can do? Will anything come back on him if I try to help?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM

Unfortunately when you complain on CO's, more times than not it does come back to the inmates. I guess it's a matter of getting ahold of the right person too. Someone who sincerely cares, which is very rare in FLDOC. If you do complain though, I'd do it to tally, not the prison itself. You can try calling Citizen Services at 888-558-6488. They are supposed to deal with issues such as this. I've never called them, so not sure if they will really help, but it's worth a try. Your bf is at apalachee, right...? When my hubby was there, they actually did have a riot in the rec yard & a couple CO's got knocked up with baseball bats(sad to say but they probably deserved it lol). And the thing was, they put him under investigation saying he was possibly involved, which was bs because he was in the dorm on the phone with me! Anyhow, he took advantage of the situation & put himself into protective custody saying he feared for his life & ended up getting transferred, thank God. Prison is prison, you have your decent CO's that just do their 8 hours, get their paycheck go home, then you have the ones whose mission is to make their lives hell. But where he's at now is definately better. Something should be done about the mistreatment of inmates. My hubby has had issues with certain CO's but nothing major, otherwise I would be calling although I'd be scared it would come back to him! I've just heard so many stories you know, but at the same time what is right needs to be stood up for. Good luck to you & yours... PS-I'd discuss it with him before you called anybody...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 PM

I guess I just feel like the COs that make their lives hell must have been picked on in high school. My boyfriend's things were searched and the CO asked him if I was stupid for being with him. It's like they want you to react. I just don't think it's right. It's unethical and if I can do something about it without retaliation from the guards, I will.
The Following User Says Thank You to pbandk For This Useful Post:
Kimi06 (03-24-2011)
Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
I drank the Kool-Aid

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,366 Posts

Either complain and he deals with any possible backlash or sit there, let it happen and have no one to blame but yourself. Reality is everyone wants to complain about the system but no one takes any action to change it. Nothing will ever change in DOC if families don't start taking them to task. It's there kingdom and by keeping our mouths shut we are letting them rule it anyway they want. Sorry if I sound harsh but like I've said in the past, if they were man enough to get themself into prison they should be man enough to stand up for their rights. Nothing in life comes easy.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM

I guess you're right about that. It's his punishment. I've just been fighting his battles for so long. It's what I'm used to.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Nobody is saying he's not man enough to stand up for his rights...I am the one that's worried & doesn't want him to deal with unnecassary bs...He's never really been harrassed, just lil disagreements here and there...He just keeps to himself & shows them their bs don't bother him & they leave him alone....
Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 AM

...On the other hand, if it was a life threatening issue, damn right i'm gonna speak up! But for a smart ass remark from a CO, i'd rather not make it into a bigger issue than it is. That's just me, everyone is different...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM

It's not so much the little comments that they make. My main concern is the fact that the COs are doing things that could possibly result in a riot. My concern is that my boyfriend is afraid in that place because the COs are provoking things and making it more unsafe than it already is. It's not like I'm going to flip out over something little. If any of your boyfriends told you that they were afraid and that they heard word of potential violence, are you telling me that you would blow it off? I guess that's just where I'm different. I have say that I'm sensing some attitude in the previous posts and I just want to say thanks. It feels good to be able to talk to people who know what I'm going through without fear of someone making me feel stupid. I just needed some guidance. I'm glad I found this site.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoswifey View Post
...On the other hand, if it was a life threatening issue, damn right i'm gonna speak up! But for a smart ass remark from a CO, i'd rather not make it into a bigger issue than it is. That's just me, everyone is different...
Let me clarify, I in no way mean that anyone should blow up the phone lines because an officer looked at an inmate wrong. I'm referring to big stuff: physical abuse, gassing for no reason, endangering lives. Then yes I believe people need to do something about it and stop whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandk View Post
If any of your boyfriends told you that they were afraid and that they heard word of potential violence, are you telling me that you would blow it off? I guess that's just where I'm different. I have say that I'm sensing some attitude in the previous posts and I just want to say thanks. It feels good to be able to talk to people who know what I'm going through without fear of someone making me feel stupid. I just needed some guidance. I'm glad I found this site.

pbandk: My previous post was telling you to call. DO NOT blow it off. Call. Period. If you don't then how would you feel if something happened that you could have potentially prevented just by dialing a phone? Also, if you call and something does happen you have a better standing of raising awarness with the people who might actually do something about it, Tallahassee.

The man up comment was because when you do complain there possibly could be backlash (confinement, bogus DR's). He's should be man enough to take it. What's confinement time compared to a beatdown in a riot? I'm pretty sure he'd prefer confinement if asked.

Last edited by TyronesWife; 03-03-2009 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Oh yes absolutely...like i said above, if it's a life threatening issue, damn right i am gonna speak up!...sorry if you sensed attitude, gosh no lol that wasn't my intention. I think we are all in this together, dealing with the same doc..ick..you could tell him to put himself in protective custody..they put him in confinement but not because he's in trouble, for safety reasons & then they will end up transferring him to another facility...you have the same bs in all prisons, but some are not as bad as others... Tyroneswife, i agree with you about the big stuff you mentioned...i think what we are both trying to say is not to make the lil stuff bigger than it is, but to definately do something about the big stuff.because they just might do bs like bs drs etc but then they know that inmates family isnt gonna allow that ish to happen. Like i tell my husband, prison isn't supposed to be pleasant, if it was you wouldn't care if you ended up back there...and the same way an officer/other inmate does something to piss you off,you can react by fighting because on the street you can't do that either or you'll end up right back there. Now the serious abuse is definately something i won't stand for. Fortunately us personally have not had an issue with this, but i've heard lots of stories...and if there is anything i can do to help you at least the littlest bit, i will.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Call...and send emails to Tallahassee and CC yourself on them. Make sure you mention in the emails that one of the reasons you're writing is because if anything DOES happen, you have a record that they are aware of what you are saying, what your concerns are--and they will be held accountable.
The Following User Says Thank You to annat For This Useful Post:
ricoswifey (03-03-2009)
Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done about mistreatment by guards? My boyfriend is worried about a riot due to the guards taking away privileges for no reason and mistreating the prisoners. Is there anything that I can do? Will anything come back on him if I try to help?

Goodday,

There was an incident last year when an inmate had his eye gouged out by a guard and now this. It does not give the impression that FLDOC has got is act together over inmate abuse by guards.

Perhaps some international pressure?

If foreign governments started denying extridition requests becouse of the wide spread inmate abuse, this may get FLDOC to clean its act up.

I could try this with my government, but I will need specific evidence.

Fair winds

Robert
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Default What can i do when my brother is possibly being mistreated

Hey, maybe someone can tell me who to contact or if there is any point. My brother is in Taylor Correctional Institution in FL and has called and said that there are a coupe of guards one that is higher rank that have told him they are gonna have him beat to death, and about a year ago they did ask another inmate to beat him half to death and they would do something for him and luckily the inmate said no and they had him beat up instead. But it's starting again... WHat can i do to help?????

Last edited by j820725; 03-20-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Welcome to PTO. Please take a few minutes to explore the site and even recent posts where the subject of helping loved ones on the inside has been discussed and argued in great detail. The ranks are divided. Complaining could well make matters worse. Some of us believe it's worth a long, painful struggle against the DOC power structure that historically overlooks such inmate-on-inmate conflicts and most wrongdoing performed by its officers. But it's an individual decision, and not an easy one, as few have the fortitude to keep up the good fight when we see our loved ones being punished because of what we're doing on the outiside. Taylor has a bad reputation for violence, so think carefully. And don't do anything until you're calm. We hope it works out for all concerned.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Default Reporting mistreatment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annat View Post
Call...and send emails to Tallahassee and CC yourself on them. Make sure you mention in the emails that one of the reasons you're writing is because if anything DOES happen, you have a record that they are aware of what you are saying, what your concerns are--and they will be held accountable.
Yes, tell any & all, write letters to the editor, do all that you can think to do. Keep copies of anything you send with dates, plus any replies you may get. If enough of us are doing this, Wardens, COs, Gov. Scott can no longer pretend that this is not taking place. They will be forced to check out complaints & maybe do something to improve prison conditions. And, if it comes back on a prisoner, make more phone calls, written letters etc. If your information is documented, you can't be "fluffed" off by the sweet bullshit replies that you'll get from those in Citizen's. Go over their heads. Go direct to warden & Gov. offices. Complain loud & often.

Fear of retaliation is not.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronesWife View Post
Either complain and he deals with any possible backlash or sit there, let it happen and have no one to blame but yourself. Reality is everyone wants to complain about the system but no one takes any action to change it. Nothing will ever change in DOC if families don't start taking them to task. It's there kingdom and by keeping our mouths shut we are letting them rule it anyway they want. Sorry if I sound harsh but like I've said in the past, if they were man enough to get themself into prison they should be man enough to stand up for their rights. Nothing in life comes easy.

I just wrote this in another post. I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoswifey View Post
Unfortunately when you complain on CO's, more times than not it does come back to the inmates. I guess it's a matter of getting ahold of the right person too. Someone who sincerely cares, which is very rare in FLDOC. If you do complain though, I'd do it to tally, not the prison itself. You can try calling Citizen Services at 888-558-6488. They are supposed to deal with issues such as this. I've never called them, so not sure if they will really help, but it's worth a try. Your bf is at apalachee, right...? When my hubby was there, they actually did have a riot in the rec yard & a couple CO's got knocked up with baseball bats(sad to say but they probably deserved it lol). And the thing was, they put him under investigation saying he was possibly involved, which was bs because he was in the dorm on the phone with me! Anyhow, he took advantage of the situation & put himself into protective custody saying he feared for his life & ended up getting transferred, thank God. Prison is prison, you have your decent CO's that just do their 8 hours, get their paycheck go home, then you have the ones whose mission is to make their lives hell. But where he's at now is definately better. Something should be done about the mistreatment of inmates. My hubby has had issues with certain CO's but nothing major, otherwise I would be calling although I'd be scared it would come back to him! I've just heard so many stories you know, but at the same time what is right needs to be stood up for. Good luck to you & yours... PS-I'd discuss it with him before you called anybody...
I don't know if you meant another camp but there has NOT been a RIOT at Apalachee, which involved bats and a "couple officers getting knocked up". There was an isolated incident a few years back at Apalachee where a very good man (officer) was hit in the neck by an inmate with a bat that was chained to the ground. The inmate was having a psychotic episode and the officer was left half paralyzed. No one "deserves" that, not even if he was a "mean" officer instead of being liked by most inmates and staff alike, as he was. : angry:
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Complaints @ Taylor

Quote:
It's not so much the little comments that they make. My main concern is the fact that the COs are doing things that could possibly result in a riot. My concern is that my boyfriend is afraid in that place because the COs are provoking things and making it more unsafe than it already is. It's not like I'm going to flip out over something little. If any of your boyfriends told you that they were afraid and that they heard word of potential violence, are you telling me that you would blow it off? I guess that's just where I'm different. I have say that I'm sensing some attitude in the previous posts and I just want to say thanks. It feels good to be able to talk to people who know what I'm going through without fear of someone making me feel stupid. I just needed some guidance. I'm glad I found this site.

850-838-4133

James Blackwood
Assistant Warden
Taylor C.I.

He is a fair "real" person, who seems to understand that inmates are people, too. Also, negative publicity reflects on him, too.

But, if everyone out there does nothing, how can anything change? There are the doers & there are the whiners.

I may accomplish little, but I will try. My son is proud of the fact that I am still his best advocate.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,538 Times in 3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsgirl84 View Post
I don't know if you meant another camp but there has NOT been a RIOT at Apalachee, which involved bats and a "couple officers getting knocked up". There was an isolated incident a few years back at Apalachee where a very good man (officer) was hit in the neck by an inmate with a bat that was chained to the ground. The inmate was having a psychotic episode and the officer was left half paralyzed. No one "deserves" that, not even if he was a "mean" officer instead of being liked by most inmates and staff alike, as he was. : angry:
The post you quoted by ricoswifey was from 2009. She doesn't post on PTO anymore since her husband is now home, but he was at ACI for a good little bit. That may have been the incident she was referring to since it her post was years ago.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

It's a sad situation it truly is with the
guards that are half decent who get hurt
as well as the inmate who is just beating.
Either way it is not right and even though
these are inmates you cannot make a heaven
and hell for no one. Not even the law.
My dad was telling me back in my hometown
PA there were officer actually letting their dogs
bite the inmates on purpose for no reason. I mean
to the point they were hospitalized/stitched up
and one inmate fell into a coma because of loss
of blood. Those Guards were fired from pennsylvania
corrections as well as charged with a felony. You
are not above the law cause you are a officer and
that's the bottom line. That is why we send bad
people to prison. Not for them to be attacked by
the same people who are to UPHOLD the law.

KImi

KIMI06

Last edited by Kimi06; 03-25-2011 at 03:35 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 AM
KD Soulmate!

I am dealing with a similar situation at Mayo CI. One thing I have to say prapare yourself for a battle becuase this is an on goong thing in mostly ever Institution. You have to e-mail e-mail, call call, I mean really be on top of them. Contact the Inspector General's Officer and let them know what is taken place and also try contacting Internal Affairs and ask them to investigate what is taken place. Try to go affivdavits from the inmates that have witness misconduct behaviors from the staff. Last you can try contacting Florida Justice Institute, Inc. They handle cases like this and defend inmates if a situation does occur and most of the time it's pro bono. This is something that we must not be afraid to speak out, the same way they stick together we need to do the same. I am working on filing a Petition to fire the Officer who is messing with my husband but I can't get into detail. You need to speak to people about the Officer because if he is doing it to your BF I believe he has done it to others. The other thing you can do is request for Public Records on an officer if anyone filed complaints about him. I have the information and will be glad to give you the number. When submitting a complaint make your complaint strong have back up information about the officer.... Most of all do not feel discourgae because it only takes one person to have the will to want to change something and even if you feel nothing is being done... It will it takes time. Good Luck and I will be praying for you!