Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:34 PM

Default Making a complaint/Husband should be in re-entry phase and isn't

Hello, i need to know how to go about my sutuation. My husband is now at corcrin state prison. first time ever. He has been moved to 4 difrent prisons since last November2014. He is level 1 and he should have already been transported to a re entry program 90 days to the gate.
He is now less then 80 days and still his councelor hasnt seen him. Ive tried to call the prison and they transfer me to a line that dont answer not even to leave a message.
How do I make a complaint on the lack of responsibility of the prison system. They are not helping my husband with anything.
Who can I call or contact ASAP???
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,221 Times in 6,905 Posts

I guess before we comment on what you might be able to do, I'm curious what he's done from inside. It's generally more effective if the inmate advocates for their own needs.

Has he addressed his situation with all staff involved (counselors have supervisors, and those supervisors have supervisors)?
Has he filed a 602?

I can tell you that I tried to contact someone on behalf of my husband for clarification on his parole hearing. Their response was that it was confidential and all communication regarding that process would happen between CDCR and the inmate. I'm not telling you not to try, but it's a bit of an uphill climb.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:06 AM

I can tell you from my experience (at least on the female side) if you have a high reading score, job skills, very little chance at reoffending (low COMPAS score) it is difficult to get into any programs (even if you are milestone eligible). Bad news is that 80 and less days to the gate they probably will not move him. Title 15 says you can't be transferred less than 90 days from release. Though they only follow Title 15 when it's convenient for them. When in violation they claim institutional need (what a crock).

BTW I know how CDC loves to move people went to all 4 female institutions (they had at the time) my first year. Spent the last year on an ankle monitor, so 5 locations all together in 4 years 8 months.
sidewalker (05-23-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I guess before we comment on what you might be able to do, I'm curious what he's done from inside. It's generally more effective if the inmate advocates for their own needs.

Has he addressed his situation with all staff involved (counselors have supervisors, and those supervisors have supervisors)?
Has he filed a 602?

I can tell you that I tried to contact someone on behalf of my husband for clarification on his parole hearing. Their response was that it was confidential and all communication regarding that process would happen between CDCR and the inmate. I'm not telling you not to try, but it's a bit of an uphill climb.
Yes he has filed a 602 and he has requested to speak to the counselors but nothing.has been done. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustingGOD001 View Post
I can tell you from my experience (at least on the female side) if you have a high reading score, job skills, very little chance at reoffending (low COMPAS score) it is difficult to get into any programs (even if you are milestone eligible). Bad news is that 80 and less days to the gate they probably will not move him. Title 15 says you can't be transferred less than 90 days from release. Though they only follow Title 15 when it's convenient for them. When in violation they claim institutional need (what a crock).

BTW I know how CDC loves to move people went to all 4 female institutions (they had at the time) my first year. Spent the last year on an ankle monitor, so 5 locations all together in 4 years 8 months.
Thank you, At least now I could tell him just to stick it out. Not that he has a choice. but now we can know for certain when he will be out.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 PM

Thanked 1,717 Times in 908 Posts

Just curious here, if anyone knows, are the re-entry mandatory or is it for certain categories? I guess I was under the impression it was all just big 'look good' talk for the judges and public. And if you went into a re-entry program it was by choice AND if they wanted to send you or needed to because of space. What are the basic protocols for being in the program, and if they want to send you and you don't want to does it still fall under it doesn't matter? They do what they want? Or would they let you decline and go to the next person?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 PM

To answer Anarchyheart the CDC(R) decides who gets the R. I wanted re-entry programs so I could get milestones, but I have too much education and I don't have a substance abuse problem. You should never refuse/decline (same thing to CDCR) the program you are assigned to. That is your good time/work time. It's considered your job. When it's your time for re-entry or if they decide it's time for you to transfer prisons they do not care how it will affect you or your family. I was sent up north to Folsom after I finally got to CIW on a hardship. The hardship only lasted 3 months because of "institutional need". They sent the people that lived down south up north and kept the people that lived up north in the south.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchyHeart View Post
Just curious here, if anyone knows, are the re-entry mandatory or is it for certain categories? I guess I was under the impression it was all just big 'look good' talk for the judges and public. And if you went into a re-entry program it was by choice AND if they wanted to send you or needed to because of space. What are the basic protocols for being in the program, and if they want to send you and you don't want to does it still fall under it doesn't matter? They do what they want? Or would they let you decline and go to the next person?
my husband talked to his counselor and due to his compas score being low, the inmates with high scores are high priority for re entry classes
AnarchyHeart (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 AM

Thanked 1,717 Times in 908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustingGOD001 View Post
To answer Anarchyheart the CDC(R) decides who gets the R. I wanted re-entry programs so I could get milestones, but I have too much education and I don't have a substance abuse problem. You should never refuse/decline (same thing to CDCR) the program you are assigned to. That is your good time/work time. It's considered your job. When it's your time for re-entry or if they decide it's time for you to transfer prisons they do not care how it will affect you or your family. I was sent up north to Folsom after I finally got to CIW on a hardship. The hardship only lasted 3 months because of "institutional need". They sent the people that lived down south up north and kept the people that lived up north in the south.
Thanks. The info was mostly for me since it's pretty new the way they are using some of the re- entry facilities and programs. After 20 some years my husband will know what to do. Depending on who the employee is, sometimes they try not to piss him off. Sometimes they try. So I try to stay informed of new ways they handle things.