Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 PM
still batshit crazy

Thanked 1,153 Times in 562 Posts
Question JPay on weekends?

I'm only familiar with Corrlinks, which they/we don't get on weekends.

I'm assuming JPay is the same?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanked 1,719 Times in 638 Posts

In Texas JPay is only delivered M-F excluding holidays. They are printed out and given to him. I don't know if JPay emails back and forth go through on weekends.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,032 Posts

It really depends. Some times I get them and sometimes I don't. My husband messaged me last Saturday night at 12am and I got it six minutes later. I was shocked. But it has happened before but not that late at night.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:19 PM
still batshit crazy

Thanks! I'm writing to Washington state. Hopefully they do, we shall see!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:12 AM
Account Closed

It depends on the facility. If they have a jpay reader they get it as soon as its approved. This may or may not happen on a weekend. It depends whether the mail room at the facility works on a weekend or not.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

Largely depends on facility, I think. Or maybe security level as well. I write to Washington and Texas, and wrote to Kentucky and New Jersey. The facility in Washington is by far the slowest. It has taken up to 9 days (!) but it usually takes one to three days. On a Sunday last year we experienced a turnover within a few hours (back AND forth). That happened once.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 AM
Account Closed

It also depends on whether they've gone fully digital or not. My friend in California doesn't have a reader so she can only get access to jpay when the facility is not on lock down.

Everyone scrambles to get their emails and then its back to days or weeks before they can get access to the Jpay tablets again. If they don't have the right security level they don't get a reader which sucks. But I'm just waiting to see how long it takes for her to get one.

In California its a privilege to be able to write your own emails in the privacy of your room. We'd love to write more often but that's how the facility works. It's perhaps the most progressive system in the United States even so, you have to make do with what little contact time you get.

In Texas they get them printed and hand delivered like ordinary mail and they're lucky to have a state issued type writer and radio if you want to take privilege by comparison.

Last edited by Roumelio; 09-08-2017 at 03:37 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roumelio View Post
It also depends on whether they've gone fully digital or not. My friend in California doesn't have a reader so she can only get access to jpay when the facility is not on lock down.
Same goes for people with a reader, as far as I understand it. In most (or all?) facilities they have to download the emails onto the reader at a kiosk. When on lockdown they cannot access the kiosk to receive mail and to send the mail they composed on their reader.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 AM
Account Closed

I am not 100% on the whole reader thing yet. I have been trying to get one for my friend for a while now. She told me it was just like an "android." They use it to compose messages and what not and read them in their own privacy, but that she didn't have one yet.

She also told me there is a big rush to get to the kiosk and lots of fights where she's at about it. Given she doesn't have one yet I'm about as much in the dark as she is about how the whole system works.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:01 AM
Account Closed

I did some further reading, yes they can write emails on their own readers in certain facilities I assume. It still has to be uploaded and checked the same way the mail room would for certain things that are flagged.

I had an email sent through jpay recently talking about my aunt who was an ex-guard in a prison here in Australia and it got flagged in the mail room in California for about a week and a half for some stupid reason.

*Note to self, do not talk about my families past lives working in prisons, the word "prison" or "guard" seems to flag their censoring software.

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/03/prison-internet-access-tablets-edovo-jpay
Old 09-08-2017, 03:34 PM
still batshit crazy

My friend in Washington state just recently got a tablet. We'd been snail-mailing until last week. Email is much more fun and alot easier on his end. I got one email 3 hours after he sent it and thought WOW! I hope that's the norm and not the exception! [Yeah, right.] [@Marco - 9 days is not what I want to hear!! ]

But it's bound to be better than a snail-mail every 3 weeks.

Last edited by fiat_nox; 09-08-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Janey

My friend is in Clallam Bay Washington and uses Jpay yes we get them on weekends and usually only wait 2-3 hours longest it has been is 2 days , he has just got a tablet and yes they can write and read in private but have to download at a kiosk
Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 PM

Some facilities have wifi to enable inmates to download and send from their tablets when they are away from the kiosk. That is to try to eliminate tensions and potential problems that are common with phones.

At my loved one's prison all incoming messages have to go through some level of screening beyond the checks done by jpay's algo. That is the main reason for slow downs in messages on the weekends. I have learned to not send important messages with attachments because that is sure to slow down the message due to additional screening.