Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

View Poll Results: How often do you talk on the phone?
Every day 446 47.75%
3-5x/week 200 21.41%
1-2x/week 185 19.81%
1-2x/month 36 3.85%
Every couple months 9 0.96%
Never 58 6.21%
Voters: 934. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM

We talk one to two times a day, at evercom's rates $50 equals 9 phone calls and that equals about a week so you can imagine how much I pay a month. But soon my siro phone will be here and I will get local flat rates which means I will get 37 phone calls for $50!! I am so excited, so $50 bucks a month instead of $200 sounds good to me, I know that I will end up putting more than that on there though. I try to make our relationship as close to the way it use to be when he was out as possible, it makes things bearable, but it never gets easier.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM

We try to talk every other day. usually Tuesday and Thursday nights around 9 so he can tell the kids good night, and either saturday or Sunday early evening. I love talking to him but honestly the calls are more for our kids. They love telling daddy about their day. I can write letters, they need to hear his voice.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 AM
waiting for my baby

Kemo calls me everyday hour and a half in the morning and an hour and a half in the evening and he chirps me all through the day...my pocket book suffers but he's way worth it.we love each other sooo very much, we could talk all day and night long!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
His wifey

my baby and I talk daily. he doesnt call more than once or twice a day b/c he tries to save me money LOL....we write letters too.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM

He usually calls once a week, however yesterday he called 4 times. I think I needed it as much as he did.. We are not sure about the costs yet, he just got to South Bay Correctional Facility in Florida. We have heard it is about 1.80 per 15 mins... I feel your pain tho.. as soon as it says ( YOU HAVE ONE MINUTE REMAINING) I feel my heart drop..
Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
amber lynn awesome
Donation Award 

Every Thursday for 15 or 30 minutes depending on what our call limit has reached.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM

HEY EVERYONE my bf told me that when he gets to prison they only allow one 10 min phone call a day...is that true? OMG I hope not...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
aLL tHiNgS r PoSSibLe
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,075 Times in 556 Posts

right now he is in a cell and can only call once or twice a day. so, we only take that much.

when he is in population, we talk about 5 or 6 times a day.

they are 15 minute calls and cost 98 cents a minute. Even if we talk 5 times a day, my bill is only $130 a month. It's worth every penny.
"Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant.......does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." ~I Corinthians 13:4-7~
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Kissimmee WRC

my baby calls me everyday and i always beg him to call me back so we usually talk about 4 times a day the calls are $2 for 15 mins which isnt terrible but it adds up quickly he is 750 miles away so visitation isnt easy for us we also write almost everyday

Old 01-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Missin' him always...
Donation Award 

hes in the box now but when he wasnt we'd talk a couple times a week
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM

Default suggestion

i have a landline just for his calls and forward it to my cellphone (although not allowed to do this), it saves me long distance money and my cell has unlimited so we talk as many times as he calls, usually 4-5 times a day. i spend $20 for the landline, plus cellphone monthly charge, and $100.00 a month on the call connection fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerita78 View Post
right now we aren't taking cuz he is in reception. before he got transferred to prison we talked every day and say each other almost everyday until I lost my car. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to call if the call is local or is it still expensive? i was reading about remote forwarding and i was thinking that if i got a local # it would be cheaper for him to call, can someone help me out?

****Although we are apart, we are closer than ever.****
Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Daily

We are serving the same amount of time together, his in there and mine on probation so for the next 6 years so I am not allowed to visit. The letters and phone calls are the only thing we have. We talk everyday sometimes 2 usually 4-5 times a day. I forward the landline to my cell which saves money on the long distance charges so I only get charged the $1.70 each phone call but have set a budget for the month. The hardest part is pretending like I'm home all the time knowing that I am out and if I say something regarding this then our calls could be terminated and without being able to see him for another 6.5 years, I'd be devastated.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Default It depends on the institution and their level

It would depend on the institute they are going to. Some people get to talk several times a day for 15 minutes a day several times a day and more on the weekend, others do not. The problem is usually there are other people waiting in line to talk or once you finally get started on a good conversation, time runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzle90 View Post
HEY EVERYONE my bf told me that when he gets to prison they only allow one 10 min phone call a day...is that true? OMG I hope not...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Question Prepaid calls

At first I had a phone company that did not require a prepaid account which in turn requires a $50.00 minimum. When I moved my new phone company now requires this prepaid account when my last one did not. It is aggravating because they charge you extra to put the money on the account (as well as doing anything else for them such as adding money to their commisary online). I want to know if anyone knows how to get around this prepaid account and back onto the regular plan so that I can just talk and then pay the bill at the end of the month?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 AM

My man was just sent to Snake River and I had to sign up for an account with V- Connect online and the fees are CRAZY!!!! For 20 min call it was almost $30 I'm not going to be able to afford that. I'm new to all this so could someone please help me out, what is the secret to talk to him but not go broke??? Thank you!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 AM

Red face All day every day

If I could I would talk to my husband ALL DAY EVERY DAY I dont care how much it costs, me and him are one and without eachother we are lost, sick or just plain Fucked up. So I would (and have) beg, borrow and steal just to pay that phone bill to make sure my honey will be on the other end when my phone rings!!!
EmmansBabyGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsideNative View Post
So I was talking to my man last night and got to thinking. Him and I have seriously talked for over 7 hours in just the last 3 or 4 days. And as much as I love to hear his voice and even though I can talk to him forever, if we were to continue on this path, mama would end up way broke. So now I am trying to figure out what I can live with and what might make me want to pull my hair out. Which is where you guys come in handy. So I am wondering how often do you guys talk to your men and how that works out for you?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Waiting 4 My Dream 2 Come

We talk twice a day, cuz thats what he is allowed....Each call is 15 mins, depending on the convo we will use them right away or one in the morn and one in the evening!!!

I pay about 125 for them a month...Really is 100 but I have to send the extra 25 dollars for his fees that are taken out....that darn 20 percent!
<3 Est: 10:19:03 <3

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
waiting for my other half

Quote:
Originally Posted by msonlydabest View Post
We talk twice a day, cuz thats what he is allowed....Each call is 15 mins, depending on the convo we will use them right away or one in the morn and one in the evening!!!

I pay about 125 for them a month...Really is 100 but I have to send the extra 25 dollars for his fees that are taken out....that darn 20 percent!

wow! i duno i tlk my fiance atleast 2 times a day.. and sumtimes 3 or 4 im tryin to cut back on calls .. my calls are about $4.35 for 20mins.. i duno if im spending tooo much but i miss him sooo much btw i see him every weekend also!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccs_grace View Post
At first I had a phone company that did not require a prepaid account which in turn requires a $50.00 minimum. When I moved my new phone company now requires this prepaid account when my last one did not. It is aggravating because they charge you extra to put the money on the account (as well as doing anything else for them such as adding money to their commisary online). I want to know if anyone knows how to get around this prepaid account and back onto the regular plan so that I can just talk and then pay the bill at the end of the month?
Depending on the company you are going through to pre pay the calls you may be able to avoid the fees by mailing in your payments, It takes a little bit longer for the money to post to your account, but if you just plan ahead you will be fine.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 AM

wow 2 3 n 4 times a day? lol psh i wish i could talk to my bf that much! it would bring back so many memories when we first met we was always on the phone or texting each other! we normally talk 2 times a week but so far this week hes called me the last 3 nights then plans to call for a few mins tomorrow to! so i got lucky this week! lol our calls cost 7.50 for 30 mins! but he never gets to call right back! at his prison theres only 2 phones and there only allowed to use the phone between 7-930pm!! so theres always to many ppl waiting to use it!!!! ah well i see him ALMOST every weekend as well so i think were doing pretty damn good!! lol
Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 AM
hez my beta half

my husband is in the box so i dont get 2 talk 2 him at all but when he wasnt in the box he use 2 call me twice every week

Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 AM

i talk to my baby allday everyday if there not locked down the calls are only 15min but the cost 1.35 per call so he calls me unlimited times a day and i always have alot of conversation for him
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 AM
beautiful nightmare

omg!! it's cost like $11 a phone call for 30 minutes. It is way to expensive and I know T-netix is making a killing off of me. If I knew what I know now I would have gotten a go phone w/ his same area code. That would have been 54 cents vs $11.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
U had me from Hello...

Default Phone callls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-My-Eber View Post
My man was just sent to Snake River and I had to sign up for an account with V- Connect online and the fees are CRAZY!!!! For 20 min call it was almost $30 I'm not going to be able to afford that. I'm new to all this so could someone please help me out, what is the secret to talk to him but not go broke??? Thank you!

Try to hook up with conscallhome.com. Check them out. I have them. I get a local number for )Ohio) (my man is in Ohio), cuz I'm in Florida. THey hook it all up. He calls the number they assign you and your calls are local to his area. It's funny how it works, but it does. You need to register your new number they give you with v-connect. I don't know how they work. I have Global Tel, which all of Ohio does, I think.

Hope this helps you. Give them a call, they can explain it all to you. My calls are about 5.00 for 15 minutes, it was $15.00 for 15 minutes...ouch!

Good Luck!

When GOD is the only one left standing...It's then you realize GOD is all you need!

Gracie
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM

My husband calls 5x a week. I see him at least twice a week sometimes three depending on the week. On special occasions like valentines day he will call sometimes 3x a day. I put all little more on the prepay account when there is a holiday in the month. And sometimes if we are going through some issues with our son he calls more often in the day.