Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Default What is everyone's experience with pigeonly?

What is everyone's experiience with them? If its as good as it sounds how come EVERYONE'S not using it/talking about it? i keep hitting a wall when i go to put in the facility, didnt get anywhere yet with th phone numer either!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM

I love Pigionly. It is great for phone calls, sending pictures and post cards. They always have amazing deals. I have used Pigionly for 13 months and have not had any issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryanna814 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (07-07-2017), littledarkone (09-26-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:45 PM

I use them for local phone numbers and so far the service has been great. If you do online chat they will be able to help you get a number.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (07-07-2017), Bryanna814 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:46 PM

On line chat is awesome. I pay.. $4.99 a month for 20 phone calls. And it is a local number
a.rare.love (07-07-2017), Twinkle82 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Also, in the months of November and December when my love gets 400 minutes instead of 300 minutes the price is the same for the 300
a.rare.love (07-07-2017), Twinkle82 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvmyCandyCaneman View Post
What is everyone's experiience with them? If its as good as it sounds how come EVERYONE'S not using it/talking about it? i keep hitting a wall when i go to put in the facility, didnt get anywhere yet with th phone numer either!
Send Pigeonly a message on Facebook so you can get help with your account.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbaez23 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 AM

The site is amazing my love one is in reception so idk if he got any of the pics i got but most of the time i spend $3 to send 15 or more pics. Also when putting in facility but it in abbreviation they should call you but make sure you know what yard hes on they accidentally but a yard once and had my pics goimg somewhere else
The Following User Says Thank You to bellabelle For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (07-07-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Cheap free calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna814 View Post
Also, in the months of November and December when my love gets 400 minutes instead of 300 minutes the price is the same for the 300
Hey what you can do also is get an app that gives you a second number set up the number local to the area your LO at then calls will be cheap and free after you call what ever phone company the prison has and set up an account(securus, gtl, etc). Its basically doing the same thing pigeonly is doing but free on your part.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,391 Times in 5,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelle View Post
Hey what you can do also is get an app that gives you a second number set up the number local to the area your LO at then calls will be cheap and free after you call what ever phone company the prison has and set up an account(securus, gtl, etc). Its basically doing the same thing pigeonly is doing but free on your part.
And it's also against CDCR policy as it's considered call forwarding.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-12-2017), patchouli (07-11-2017), sass4221 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
And it's also against CDCR policy as it's considered call forwarding.
Yeah your right, i know it shows just as a third party call but is all these phone companies doing the same or they doing something different ?
Old 07-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,391 Times in 5,190 Posts

Quote:
Yeah your right, i know it shows just as a third party call but is all these phone companies doing the same or they doing something different ?
I can only speak about what I read on Pigeonly's website. They claim to be approved for county, state and BOP facilities. I don't know that's true, but they claim it is. Per most facility policies I've read, all third party and call forwarding is prohibited.

Because these services lower the rate you pay, it cuts into GTL/Securus bottomline and the amount of kickback the facility makes. For that alone I can't understand why they would approve it.

People use them at their own risk. Personally I find it much easier to use a prepaid cell phone with a number local to him. No circumventing policy, no long distance charges. I understand that some facilities don't allow calls to cell phones (ugh, I'm so sorry).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
bellabelle (07-12-2017), canttouchthis (07-21-2017), Minor activist (09-04-2017), patchouli (07-11-2017), sass4221 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanked 9,645 Times in 5,456 Posts

Quote:
With what they describe, it is forwarding...and THAT is a violation of the rules of MOST agencies. As such, it isn't a matter of IF you get caught and lose the privileges, but rather WHEN you lose them.

Use the agency-approved services.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
canttouchthis (07-21-2017), sass4221 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 PM

Talking prison phone providers

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the companies Pigeonly or Securtel? Looking to save money on phone calls but scared to try something that shows up in a search engine and would like to know if anyone has tried them or knows of any phone providers that are cheaper for my fiancé to call me. He calls several times a day and it adds up.

thanks,
Penny
Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,125 Times in 2,178 Posts

There are legal and not-so-legal ways to save money on phone calls.

Pretty much the only legal way is to get a "local" phone number by getting a prepaid 'burner' cell phone that has a local phone number to the institution he's in. Cell phone companies are usually fine with giving you the area code and prefix you need.

All other options that I'm aware of are Against The Rules and you and your love could both get in trouble for it (with him bearing the brunt of the punishment).
Old 07-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Default cheaper calls

Quote:
I guess I am confused. I have a local number but in order to talk to him without collect calls we put money on his PIN through the prison and we pay a certain dollar amount per call. Is this not what everyone does? I am just looking to see if there is something out there where I can pay a monthly fee for unlimited calls and not pay per call. Is there such a thing?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I can only speak about what I read on Pigeonly's website. They claim to be approved for county, state and BOP facilities. I don't know that's true, but they claim it is. Per most facility policies I've read, all third party and call forwarding is prohibited.

Because these services lower the rate you pay, it cuts into GTL/Securus bottomline and the amount of kickback the facility makes. For that alone I can't understand why they would approve it.

People use them at their own risk. Personally I find it much easier to use a prepaid cell phone with a number local to him. No circumventing policy, no long distance charges. I understand that some facilities don't allow calls to cell phones (ugh, I'm so sorry).
No you dont have to be sorry thank you for understanding you give me a great idea 💡 on local calls with another number idk why i never thought of that. I guess ill just have to figure out the policies then test the works
Old 07-19-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmylovedone View Post
I guess I am confused. I have a local number but in order to talk to him without collect calls we put money on his PIN through the prison and we pay a certain dollar amount per call. Is this not what everyone does? I am just looking to see if there is something out there where I can pay a monthly fee for unlimited calls and not pay per call. Is there such a thing?
Oh i see, are the charges per call expensive ? Pigeonly charges 5 dollars a month per taxes but even if there is a cheaper number you can call the prison company and ask them how much it will be with there for the area code idk if theres a fixed rate but if its cheaper to go the pigeonly route i would
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 PM

I have used their photo service successfully. I do want to caution all of you to check your card statements regularly because they charged my account $2.99 one month and I did NOTHING on their site! I called and they said they accidentally assessed a service fee to some accounts. I find this suspicious! Additionally, they told me they would credit my card the $2.99 AND add $2.99 to my wallet on their site. I did see the credit to my card, but they did not add any money on my wallet. Furthermore, I am pretty sure that they charged my credit card again! I need to check tomorrow and follow through. Please be vigilant! I think they are trying to take money for no services rendered!
The Following User Says Thank You to Curt'swife8 For This Useful Post:
marco1969 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt'swife8 View Post
I have used their photo service successfully. I do want to caution all of you to check your card statements regularly because they charged my account $2.99 one month and I did NOTHING on their site! I called and they said they accidentally assessed a service fee to some accounts. I find this suspicious! Additionally, they told me they would credit my card the $2.99 AND add $2.99 to my wallet on their site. I did see the credit to my card, but they did not add any money on my wallet. Furthermore, I am pretty sure that they charged my credit card again! I need to check tomorrow and follow through. Please be vigilant! I think they are trying to take money for no services rendered!
Good advice to check your statements. I did. And it's the same here. I put money in their 'wallet' some 4 months ago on the site for their photo service. The wallet I use for sending pictures. There's still plenty of money in the wallet. But last month (June 13) they suddenly charged a 2.99 service fee on my credit card and this month (July 2) a 2.99 maintenance fee. No word yet on my requests for info/refund. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt'swife8 View Post
Thank you for saying something, i will check i hate linking my cards to sites i feel thats sketchy
Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

Update on the credit card charges. A customer rep. replied that my credit card was mistakenly charged. The 2 x 2.99 fees are back on my credit card. Due to currency changes (my card is in Euros) a small loss for me, but they put 5.98 in my pigeonly wallet. Solved, but troubling nonetheless.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1969 View Post
Update on the credit card charges. A customer rep. replied that my credit card was mistakenly charged. The 2 x 2.99 fees are back on my credit card. Due to currency changes (my card is in Euros) a small loss for me, but they put 5.98 in my pigeonly wallet. Solved, but troubling nonetheless.
The same is true for me. I have had to call twice. I am still waiting for the credit to post to my credit card. I hope it really is an "innocent" mistake. It unnerves me that people can just charge to your account whenever they feel like it. Be vigilant in checking your statements people!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I tried this and it didnt work for me either. they were really nice and told me they are not breaking any laws so even though the company doesnt like it, there isnt anything they can do. they did start making me jump through all kinds of hoops that i hadnt previously had to do when settng up my original phone number. but like i said it didnt work!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM

Thanked 9,645 Times in 5,456 Posts

Quote:
I tried this and it didnt work for me either. they were really nice and told me they are not breaking any laws so even though the company doesnt like it, there isnt anything they can do. they did start making me jump through all kinds of hoops that i hadnt previously had to do when settng up my original phone number. but like i said it didnt work!
If they specifically said they were not breaking laws, then they are playing a game of semantics. They KNOW they are offering a services that is designed to circumvent agency rules. Agency rules are not laws found in the various statutory codes. They tend not to want to admit to prospective customers that, by using their service, the customer jeopardizes their abilities to have contact with friends or family on the other end of the service...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-05-2017), marco1969 (08-16-2017), nimuay (08-17-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 PM

They charged me the $2.99 again! Ugh! I always get it back, but I am tired of taking the time to call constantly!