Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Now Wife ❤️

Default Piercings & Metal Detector: What do you do if piercing sets off detector?

My friend came with me to visit my Hubby on our wedding and had her tongue pierced and tons of earrings up her ear and went through the metal detector without a problem. I just got my tongue redone and I am visiting in 2 days. Even though I seen her go through I'm worried now mine may set it off because I'm crazy and worry about everything lol. How many of you have body piercings and do you set off the metal detector and what do you do if that happens? I can't take mine out for 3 weeks so hopefully I will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,229 Times in 5,445 Posts

At that place she got in? Wowza! That's awesome. lol

I think it really depends on how low they have it set (or high?). I had a helix in my ear when I first started visiting. It had the piercing-grade hoop in it and it set it off, they made take it out. But I saw people get through with a nose stud. So maybe it's just hit and miss?

Do they make a silicone holder for those?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-05-2017), Sean'sGirl82 (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
At that place she got in? Wowza! That's awesome. lol

I think it really depends on how low they have it set (or high?). I had a helix in my ear when I first started visiting. It had the piercing-grade hoop in it and it set it off, they made take it out. But I saw people get through with a nose stud. So maybe it's just hit and miss?

Do they make a silicone holder for those?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Yeah I was shocked! She had all those piercings and walked right through but my bra clasps set it off! No underwire in it just the bra hooks in the back lol. I was researching and it says that surgical steel isn't magnetic and doesn't set the detectors off so I'm hoping I will be ok. I just have bad luck with stuff and worry lol. I told the piercer that I'm worried about that and she said we could wait till after my visit but I said no, I knew if I didn't do it then I would chicken out and not come back! Maybe the tongue one doesn't set it off because it is in the mouth? Was your helix surgical steel? I'll let everyone know Sunday.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 14,229 Times in 5,445 Posts

Yes, it was surgical steel. It shouldn't have set off anything. But that same day they were making everyone change for every little thing. I was not in a position to argue.

You'll probably be fine. Just keep your mouth shut tight! lol
Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Yes, it was surgical steel. It shouldn't have set off anything. But that same day they were making everyone change for every little thing. I was not in a position to argue.

You'll probably be fine. Just keep your mouth shut tight! lol
Hahaha that's what I plan to do! Teeth locked all rigid!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean'sGirl82 View Post
Yeah I was shocked! She had all those piercings and walked right through but my bra clasps set it off! No underwire in it just the bra hooks in the back lol. I was researching and it says that surgical steel isn't magnetic and doesn't set the detectors off so I'm hoping I will be ok. I just have bad luck with stuff and worry lol. I told the piercer that I'm worried about that and she said we could wait till after my visit but I said no, I knew if I didn't do it then I would chicken out and not come back! Maybe the tongue one doesn't set it off because it is in the mouth? Was your helix surgical steel? I'll let everyone know Sunday.

Wait so it does go off with the hooks on the bra
Old 08-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaye25 View Post
Wait so it does go off with the hooks on the bra
Yeah at my husbands prison it does. They got a new detector that's super sensitive. I had to get wanded by a female officer. I had to go buy a bra that has no metal at all it goes over me like a sports bra but with cups built in for support.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:04 AM

My boyfriend is at kern where did you get your bra at
Old 08-05-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah at my husbands prison it does. They got a new detector that's super sensitive. I had to get wanded by a female officer. I had to go buy a bra that has no metal at all it goes over me like a sports bra but with cups built in for support.

Mines is at kern valley as well I have a sports bra but it's not no support
Old 08-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
Mines is at kern valley as well I have a sports bra but it's not no support
My Husband is at Kern too. I got mine at Walmart. They have special sections that say wire free I found mine with no hooks in the back and it has pads built in the cups.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sean'sGirl82 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
My Husband is at Kern too. I got mine at Walmart. They have special sections that say wire free I found mine with no hooks in the back and it has pads built in the cups.

I hope I can find one because I brought a bra from lane Bryant with no wire but with hooks I know it's too much information but I am 44DDD and I hope I can find one. I just think that's stupid how you can't wear a bra with hooks
The Following User Says Thank You to oshaye25 For This Useful Post:
Sean'sGirl82 (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:44 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
I hope I can find one because I brought a bra from lane Bryant with no wire but with hooks I know it's too much information but I am 44DDD and I hope I can find one. I just think that's stupid how you can't wear a bra with hooks
You can wear it but you will set off the metal detector and they will have to have you go to the ion scanning room to check you with the wand and once they see it's the hooks they will let you through. It's just a hassle that wastes time, so if you can wear a different bra do that.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:45 AM

So was you able to wear your bra with hooks for me it's hard finding a sports bra with big chest lol
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
So was you able to wear your bra with hooks for me it's hard finding a sports bra with big chest lol
Yes lol they will just stop you and wand you and then let you go.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 AM

I am just going to do that because I can't wear sport bras
Old 08-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 6,561 Times in 2,981 Posts

I am big chested and I dont like sports bras,genie bras are very expensive.So I made my own visit bras pretty lacy ones with cups.I then took the underwires out and cut off the metal clips at the back. I then sewed the back straps together they are elastcated so its easy to slip the bra on.It doesnt take long and its more comfortable than a sports bra pushing everything flat.

I have a belly piercing and a nose piercings and I got through with both of those at KVSP.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 AM
Donation Award 

I have my tounge , ears and boobies pierced and the metal detector has never went off , best wishes
The Following User Says Thank You to Always_His For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,032 Posts

I have a double tounge piercing and the detector at my husband prison has never gone off. If your friend got through with all that why are you worried.

The Following User Says Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
My friend came with me to visit my Hubby on our wedding and had her tongue pierced and tons of earrings up her ear and went through the metal detector without a problem. I just got my tongue redone and I am visiting in 2 days. Even though I seen her go through I'm worried now mine may set it off because I'm crazy and worry about everything lol. How many of you have body piercings and do you set off the metal detector and what do you do if that happens? I can't take mine out for 3 weeks so hopefully I will be ok.
I don't personally have a bunch of body piercings. I only wear solid gold in my ears. My step-daughter did, however, recently get a nose piercing AND a belly button piercing. Her mom called FCI McDowell because she was afraid of the same thing you are. They supposedly told her mom that they would let her through without removing the piercings IF they did go off. I took her to McDowell for Father's Day weekend and the piercings were fine. They did NOT set off the metal detector. You know, however, all facilities are different. You may want to call and try to get an understanding just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Curt'swife8 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
I have a double tounge piercing and the detector at my husband prison has never gone off. If your friend got through with all that why are you worried.
I wasn't sure if because mine is surgical steel since it was just done it may react differently. She has switched to a normal bar. Hers isn't plastic but not sure what it's made of she forgot.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Thanks everyone for your feedback I feel much better about it now.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Im sure you'll find out today if you're visiting? But last weekend I actually asked the co's that do processing that if I got my septum and belly pierced if they'd make me remove them if they set off the detector cuz when my husband was in reception they made me remove the piercings even if it was behind the glass visit and they were new so the holes closed immediately:-( anyway the COs said it was fine, all they would do if it didn't clear was have a female wand me but that I should be fine
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrsa77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Now Wife ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsa77 View Post
Im sure you'll find out today if you're visiting? But last weekend I actually asked the co's that do processing that if I got my septum and belly pierced if they'd make me remove them if they set off the detector cuz when my husband was in reception they made me remove the piercings even if it was behind the glass visit and they were new so the holes closed immediately:-( anyway the COs said it was fine, all they would do if it didn't clear was have a female wand me but that I should be fine
That's good I hope it is the same way at Kern. Hopefully if I set it off they can just wand me and let me in.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:52 AM

Not me but there is one woman that visits with a whole face full of furniture and it takes 10 minutes to process her through the MD's. It's incredibly frustrating as they only let 4 people in at a time and you can't get buzzed through until she finally clears. She knows it. It happens every time. Does she care? No she doesn't. Her 'unique look' means elderly people and little kids have to stand out in the cold and wind while she pisses around.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

I have multiple piercings and in different metals. I mostly wear gold in my facial piercings but I recently got new piercings and in them I wear titanium. I have never set off the metal detector for any of them. In my tongue I wear bioplastic though as it helps with the teeth. Good luck. My daughter just removes her belly piercing before going through the metal detector and puts it right back in as soon as she clears through.

~~PATIENTLY and FAITHFULLY waiting for my KING to come home~~