Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Angry Money on books police's business?

So my fiancé is in jail and has been for a year and a half. The prosecutor pulled me aside after court and said the police department notified him after they were told by the jail that my fiancé was getting large amounts $15,000, of money put on his books. He said he wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it. I was dumbfounded as to a.) why this was his concern or anyone else's. b.) who was putting money on his books because I have only put on about $3,000 this whole time. c.) if this is the prosecutor lying. I have tried contacting the jail but no one ever answers the phones. I asked my fiancé about it and he is just as confused as I am. Has anyone ever had this happen? What should I do? Any ideas will help!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,952 Posts

Well it would be a concern when anyone gets large amounts of cash. I'm pretty sure his attorney can find out where it's coming from and why such large amounts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Crazychick12 (09-11-2017), fbopnomore (09-11-2017), nancyginnm (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 01:15 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablev1981 View Post
So my fiancé is in jail and has been for a year and a half. The prosecutor pulled me aside after court and said the police department notified him after they were told by the jail that my fiancé was getting large amounts $15,000, of money put on his books. He said he wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it. I was dumbfounded as to a.) why this was his concern or anyone else's. b.) who was putting money on his books because I have only put on about $3,000 this whole time. c.) if this is the prosecutor lying. I have tried contacting the jail but no one ever answers the phones. I asked my fiancé about it and he is just as confused as I am. Has anyone ever had this happen? What should I do? Any ideas will help!
I would leave it alone. I would not give the prosecutor any other information or answer any further questions about it. And unless they can actually tie him getting money to an actual crime, it's not illegal for him to receive money, even if it is very large amounts.

I wouldn't even ask your LO about it until you can speak to him in an unmonitored setting.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Crazychick12 (09-11-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (09-11-2017), His_Queen13 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Something is odd here. How could there be money coming in without the jail knowing who sent it?

Meantime, if law enforcement is talking to you and they suspect wrongdoing, it's time to let your lawyer speak for you.
Crazychick12 (09-11-2017), His_Queen13 (09-11-2017), missingdee (09-11-2017), xolady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,685 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Something is odd here. How could there be money coming in without the jail knowing who sent it?

Meantime, if law enforcement is talking to you and they suspect wrongdoing, it's time to let your lawyer speak for you.
If it's one of the jails that still accept money orders it's plausible. However, something IS going on. Unless he has many friends/family members sending him money, there's another explanation to this. There's many reasons someone would be having large amounts of money put on their books in county, most of them aren't so great. Do NOT talk to him about this over the phone or in a recorded visit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
Crazychick12 (09-11-2017), missingdee (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,535 Posts

"a.) why this was his concern or anyone else's. "

He is in jail - everything is the concern of the prosecution - he can't expect any privacy about money coming in and the jail isn't going to tell you anything even if then do answer the phone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Crazychick12 (09-11-2017), missingdee (09-11-2017), Scott (09-11-2017), xolady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Money brings spotlight. Gets attention. It will be noted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
missingdee (09-11-2017), xolady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:55 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post

I'm thinking it's either 1.) money orders, 2.) someone is dropping off cash (not sure that ID needs to be verified, or could be getting dropped with a fake ID,) or 3.) it's being transferred in electronically using fake/spoofed identification.

Regardless, OP should basically say "sorry, I don't know anything about it" and if there's any further pressure about it say "if you would like to continue discussing this matter I would like to have an attorney present who can explain to me what is going on and what your interest is in me and can guide me in answering any questions you might have. I am not comfortable discussing this further. If I am not being detained then I would like to leave. Thank you."
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
I'm thinking it's either 1.) money orders, 2.) someone is dropping off cash (not sure that ID needs to be verified, or could be getting dropped with a fake ID,) or 3.) it's being transferred in electronically using fake/spoofed identification.

Regardless, OP should basically say "sorry, I don't know anything about it" and if there's any further pressure about it say "if you would like to continue discussing this matter I would like to have an attorney present who can explain to me what is going on and what your interest is in me and can guide me in answering any questions you might have. I am not comfortable discussing this further. If I am not being detained then I would like to leave. Thank you."
I would just shut my mouth and get an attorney. I wouldn't even answer anything with out one present. JMO Sounds like drug money great way to launder it thru a jail. He is accountable for money deposits of such large amounts. You can't even cash a check for that amount with out reporting to IRS!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-12-2017), Scott (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablev1981 View Post
a.) why this was his concern or anyone else's. b.) who was putting money on his books because I have only put on about $3,000 this whole time.
I don't know of a single jail/prison or correctional facility that will take deposits for inmates without knowing who is depositing the money. This has been a policy for a long time.

Contract killings, extortion, drug-money laundering, etc., are all reasons why the identity of whoever drops this off or mails it in would need to be known. Your Fiancé would also be getting a money slip so he knows who is providing his windfalls. Even cashier's checks have to have both the name of the giver/recipient on it for tracking and bookkeeping purposes.

XOLADY is exactly right that you can't deposit that kind of money without the IRS being alerted in a bank. In a correctional facility or jail, it's 10x as suspicious.

I have known very wealthy inmates who had large deposits made to their account, from Trusts, etc., because some systems actually pay interest on inmate Trust Deposits (Oregon does, for example) and it can be a better return than banks. But, there is a risk with that. No one is going to anonymously deposit ten-and-a-half grand to someone's account without that person knowing what's going on.

Just saying...
fbopnomore (09-12-2017), missingdee (09-12-2017), xolady (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Prosecutors and cops lie. I mean maybe he does have the money or maybe they are just trying to drive a wedge between you two. Do you pay his lawyer fees. Maybe the prosecutor would rather work with one of his buddies the public defender so is trying to make you question the relationship. I'm pretty sure he can get a reciept or printout of what is in his account if you really wanna know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doinaight For This Useful Post:
Tiffmm24 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:17 AM

Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,439 Posts

If he has appointed counsel, then large sums in his commissary account will quickly kill that and he will have to engage new counsel at his cost (and pay costs incurred to this point).

There are MANY reasons why the State has an interest in where large deposits come from while a defendant is in custody. Some become even more relevant depending on the nature of the offense...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
missingdee (09-12-2017), Ms Sunny (09-12-2017), safran (09-12-2017), Scott (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM

OP, your life will be better the farther away you stay from whatever's going on.
Ms Sunny (09-12-2017), Scott (09-12-2017)