Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 PM

Red face

They started using the ION scanner at my husband's prison about a year ago and for some reason, I get it pretty much every time. One weekend I was there, I got scanned all four days!!! And yes, my husband's in for drugs but he follows all the rules, stays out of trouble and even the guards say he's one of the "better ones", plus I look totally sweet and innocent and well behaved but then I've seen people go through without being scanned and that's women I know is bringing stuff in. So I don't know how they choose people for that scanner but the way they do it doesn't make any sense. And they keep a log and can see that for my past 15 visits, I've been scanned 12 times so maybe time to realise that I don't do drugs so maybe time to scan someone else?!

Every time I've been scanned, I've touched money, I got perfume on, hand cream on.... But so far, knock on wood, all my tests have been negative. I know if you do test positive, you can ask for a new test. Also, when the guard put on the little strip on the wand, he should be wearing gloves. If he didn't and you test positive, request him to wear gloves, change the strip and do the test again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
ImJustMe123 (09-25-2013), sksimone (09-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Donation Award 

my friend went to visit her son in prison and they found traces on her jeans and she hadn't been around any drugs either!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsGurl View Post
my friend went to visit her son in prison and they found traces on her jeans and she hadn't been around any drugs either!

If it comes up positive, rather then miss your visit, can you ask for a more detailed search like strip search, cavity search or urine test? It's humiliating, but apparently alot of women on here are willing to go through alot of cr@p to make life as easy as possible for "men" who apparently weren't willing to do the same.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Spook's Lazy Butt

what the hell? i didnt know they did this? are they still doing this? i was reading posts as far back as over 10 years ago you kidding me? and i thought i was going to go in high as a kite lmfao. good thing i knew a head of time,

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Default prison ion drug scanners false positive

yes, I had a false positive result at the Mendota fci in California in 2015. I came all the way from Philadelphia to visit my husband. I hadn't seen in almost 2 yrs. After 2 planes, rent a car and hotel. I was pissed and still am , because I was targeted!

I am A Muslim woman who covers myself all up. This prison is new and a mess! Ive been to Atwater penitentiary, Fci in Virginia and the Allenwood federal penitentiary as well and never has this ever happened before! Ive had paper ran across my hands, frisked by women officers who put me behind a screen and search my veil and all, no problem I understand they do what they do. But at this prison I was targeted, why do I say this?

The first day I went to visit I got itemized no problem negative. I seen the lt tell the new co to do it and the next time use gloves. I went in to see my husband but waited over 60 min for him to come down and I was the 3d person in the hall, at 8:45am, I knew then it was going to be a problem. Then the next day sunday I came back and once again I was itemized drug scanned. This time by the same LT. who told the co to do me the day before!!

So now it became a targeted scan and not random! 2 days straight by the same ppl?

nah, this isn't random!!! I had sat down put my shoes back on and the LT. sat down for awhile so I wouldn't think I was targeted and came over and said u know what come on over so I can scan you? yeh, the same lt as sat. well later on a woman came over and said I had to leave because I had come in contact with a controlled substance!!! and wouldn't tell me what it was! I said well I'm not leaving here until I see the head! well the Boss whoever he thought he was came out and told me I had to leave or he would have me locked up. I said no problem charge me! I again asked for the results he told me he didn't have to tell me or show me and as I told him well the ACLU or CAIR or internal affairs in DC because I was targeted and set up! he said he would tell them what it was you came in contact with?

I was in tears do to anger and how they just tried to say I'm a Muslima with drugs or whatever it was I was a nervous wreck, on the way to the airport I lost my id boarding pass etc. It took me two yrs to save that money up and my children helped. so Im suppose to stay inside of a sterile bubble coming from the east coast to the west coast and to the prison the whole time? That's crazy!!! I come in contact with all kind of money changing , food, water bottles, rent a cars, hotels rooms etc?

I came home got tested for every kind of drug it was and of course came up negative..I am now in the process of providing these organizations with the info. Also I went on line and investigated this scanner and there a many class suites going on about the scanner targeting 80 yr old grandmothers etc and many false positives!

One warden said they don't use it at all they sit on it because its not 100 percent accurate and it causes to many problems with the inmates visits and they need them to be ok.

That shouldn't be the last say so a machine! How bout a search etc or a swab etc. also the appeal paper said my doctor has to say I was on something to give them a reason why it came out positive? so on the real they are accusing me, but as my doctor said she cant say that and will say I wasn't on anything and I'm sending in the drug test!

My thing is I already know the feds do what they do! They think they above the law. My problem is the second day when I was done by the same officer who told the co to do me the day before, I became TARGETTED and PROFILED as THAT MUSLIM TERORIST!

Also if its says randomly picked there has to be guidelines for that, if not and they leave it up to the co then it becomes profiled and targeted. Many ppl haven't said nothing or choose not to because it takes a lot to deal with the feds, or they are afraid something will happen to their loved one or they wont ever be allowed to visit again or no one will do anthing about it.. It is what it is someone has and must say something about these things that occur, as I told them if I never see my husband again or hear from him when he gets out I will still be his wife inshallah (god willing), so they will never break me or his spirit..

Even if these ppl I contact wont do nothing about it, at least I tried to do something or say something about this itemizer scanning! So I will speak for them. I do thank Allah for the 1 day that I did get to see him. I am still shook a bit by them setting me up but I go through this a lot, but I never can get use to it.. Thank you I know I was long winded on this one , but so many ppl including grand moms are afraid to go back to visit their grandson's and they are all they have to visit them. So sad they have to find a better way to do these things. Hopefully one day they will. All this does is discourage ppl to go back and visit or have them nervous about a false positive. This goes against what the feds say they are about bringing families together as well as shipping them so far from their families and then when they come its the false positive machine waiting to greet them...

Also I thank you for having this subject on here and listening to us.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Default drug scan itemiser

I told them they can search me get a female etc. but they were ignorant as heck..they said no an I had to leave., even though I came from Philadelphia to visit.. they really don't care, but also they are a new prison at Mendota California fci and they don't know the rules governing a Muslim female when she comes in. I never had a problem in any other Federal prison.. I had told my ppl prior to this that prison I didn't like because it was knew and I knew it was going to be a problem when they saw me, and it was..anyway it is what it is cause I'm not the one, I will speak out. I know he will more than likely transfer out as soon as he can all though his points went down . He went from the Federal penitentiary to a fci. I know how to deal with them and it has to be paperwork in black and white that's all they seem to understand. so I will gladly oblige them, no problem.

I wish all of u the best with this scanner..
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM

yepper Im on it..Im going everywhere that will listen this stuff is insane!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan68 View Post
I would like to hear from those who have had experience in dealing with prisons that have the drug scanning machines. This is for an article for Con-Tact News. Please post any personal experiences you have had, or have seen, regarding these machines. I know they aren't in all prisons in all states, so please post the state your experience was in also.

Thanks!
i had a very very bad experience in a min federal prison in beavercreek in Ontario, drove 2 hours to see my husband, whom I had been visiting 3 times a week, the lady the swabbs you is the meaniest, angriest person there, everyone else seems nice, but believe it or not, I feel like its all smoke and mirrors, its a game for all the staff, lets play,,, I set off the scanner my shoe tested positive for THC, I did not even know what that was until that day,,, the side of my shoe in which touched my ankle,, makes NO SENSE,, even if I had come into casual contact be it through stopping for gas and touching a gas pump, stopping at a coffee shop on the way,, it is humanly impossible to walk on your ankles!!!!!!!! this machine is total bullshit!!!!!! that day on September 4th i was assigned to designated seating and not allowwd to even touch my husband's pinkie finger,, I have not touched him ever since, as they gave me designated seating for 6 visits over a span of three months,, I have yet to finish the 6 visits as I do not go as often, it has caused me so much anxiety and turmoil, as I am totally against drugs,, i feel so discriminated, i fought tooth and nail to prove my innocence but it got me no where, my pleas were ignored,, i was also sniffed by the dog that day as i am on every visit, before i am swabbed and there is no issues,,, these dogs are trained to detect drugs, so therefore if i had any sort of drugs on me, would the dog not know that?????!!!!!!! the threshold for THC is 50 my shpe read 58!!!!! I disagree with using alcohol and hand sanitizers because i used them that due, because you hear and read of so many horror stories, i say this if you dont do drugs of any kind just walk in and cross your fingers that you are not a victim of a false positive!!!!! how do i know what was on the womans gloves when she swabbed my shoe, why did she not pick up the swab with the contraption that they have?????? this a caused so many disagreements between my husband and i,,, this has been a horrific experience for me,, my lawyers call and letters did not help,,, i am so angry
The Following User Says Thank You to rfigli02 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-07-2015)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Everyday I'm Missing Him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lani View Post
I've been tested 3 different times at FCI Lompoc and it was negative. I know a woman that also visits the same facility and she tested positive although she doesn't do drugs. This other time, I was in the lobby area waiting to be brought into the visiting area, a CO walked in and was talking with the CO that was behind the desk. She told that other CO that she believed the drug scanner wasn't accurate so she then tested the CO 3 times and it came up positive. The other thing I noticed was that the CO's don't change their gloves after each use. So if the CO just tested someone and it came up positive, what happens when the CO tests the next person?
Very good question?!. Really l!

God gives his toughest battles, to his strongest💪🏼 soldiers!. I'm loyal to the soil... And nobody can change that.. The wait is almost over, and I'm patiently waiting on Babe!. ⌛️ ❤️💯🤷🏽
Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Default drug testing in prisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan68 View Post
I would like to hear from those who have had experience in dealing with prisons that have the drug scanning machines. This is for an article for Con-Tact News. Please post any personal experiences you have had, or have seen, regarding these machines. I know they aren't in all prisons in all states, so please post the state your experience was in also.

Thanks!
Recently I visited Centinela State Prison, located in Imperial Californa. This was not my first visit or the first time I was selected for the random drug screening. It was the first time getting an alarm. I was allowed to wash my hands.I was retested it alarmed again. I was told that I could continue with the visit if I submitted to a patdown. I signed the consent form and allowed the officer to perform the clothed patdown. I proceeded to continue with the non-contact visit. The scanner produced a false positive alarm of heroine. I'm fulimure with that type of scanner having work with it before. I'm aware of the false positive alarms that it can produce. Especially if it's not calibrated correctly or if verifics aren't perfomed in a timely manner. The justice system is flawed I doubt if any of this is done. Needless to say I went and had a drug test done and I'm sending a letter along with documentation to the warden of that institution in addition to file a complaint with the department of justice. I can't afford to have my good name smeared based on false allegation by some malfunctioning equiptment. By the way your name stays in SOMS(the CDCR computer) so that any institution you visit will have access to that information.Also it can have a negative effect on your love one when they go up to the parole board. I am innocent!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,317 Times in 5,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz.jonez View Post
Needless to say I went and had a drug test done and I'm sending a letter along with documentation to the warden of that institution in addition to file a complaint with the department of justice. I can't afford to have my good name smeared based on false allegation by some malfunctioning equiptment.
Again, the purpose of the test is to stop contraband drugs from entering the prison. They don't care if you have it in your system but they care if you're trying to bring it in. A drug test doesn't negate a positive result-- false or otherwise.

They're crappy machines. Everyone knows this. The staff roll their eyes at these things as much as we do in most cases.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Again, the purpose of the test is to stop contraband drugs from entering the prison. They don't care if you have it in your system but they care if you're trying to bring it in. A drug test doesn't negate a positive result-- false or otherwise.

They're crappy machines. Everyone knows this. The staff roll their eyes at these things as much as we do in most cases.
And the pat down I submitted to would have let them know that I had nothing to bring in other then my self. They need to focus more on their employees
Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz.jonez View Post
And the pat down I submitted to would have let them know that I had nothing to bring in other then my self. They need to focus more on their employees
I absolutely agree. The ION scanners are a very thin barrier between outside contraband introduction and inmates. I've yet to see stats on how many positive scans result in contraband discovery, but my guess is it's not enough to warrant this sort of headache.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,562 Posts

Testing positive on the Ion scanner in a California state prison will not result in any negative consequences so long as you are compliant and they don't actually catch you bringing something in.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Default drug scanner el reno fci

i drive from texas to oklahoma to go see my husband about once a month. the first time i got tested with the ion drug scanner i was mortified when it came up positive simply bc i dont use drugs or am i around people who do.

my husband as well as the officer told me that it coukd be anything. From money to things we touch. MY ADVICE TO ANYONE GOING TO VISIT:

- CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES ( CLEAN CLOTHES NOT WASHED IN PERFUMED DETERGENT...USE PLAIN, SIMPLE TIDE, NO SOFTENERS NO NOTHING EXTRA SMELLY AND NICE...TRUST ME WE ALL WANT TO SMELL AND LOOK NICE FOR OUR HUSBANDS, BOYFRIENDS, ETC...BUT THE PLAINER THE BETTER THIS INCLUDES NOT BEING AN ATTENTION SEEKER. THIS ISNT A FASHION SHOW, ITS A FEDERAL PRISON WHERE CRIMINALS ARE HOUSED. AND IF YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER AND OTHER CHILDREN AND WIVES, GF'S YOU WONT GO UP THERE SMELLING OR LOOKING LIKE A CHEAP WHORE. HAVE SOME SELF RESPECT. MOVING ON TO DRUG SCANNER:

- ONCE YOU CHANGE CLOTHES BEFORE VISITING...DONT SPRAY A LOT OF HEAVY PERFUMES OR LOTIONS. I ONLY USE NIVEA LOTION ON MY BODY, ROLL ON DEODORANT NOT SPRAY AND ABOUT 30 MINUTES BEFORE I GET THERE I SPRAY MY PERFUME...BEHIND EARLOBES, NOT ON WRISTS OR UNDERNEATH ELBOWS, DO NOT SPRAY ALL OVER CLOTHES. TRUST ME YOUR LOVED ONES SENSE OF SMELL IS EXTRA SENSITIVE. AGAIN ALL IN MODERATION... YOU WONT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE ION SCANNER AND AGAIN LADIES HAVE SOME RESPECT. I DONT NEED TO SMELL YOYR PERFUME FTOM A MILE AWAY, NEITHER DO MY CHILDREN, OR MY HUSBAND.

- ONCE YOUVE MADE SURE YOUR NICE AND FRESH SMELLING NICE AND BEHAVING CLASSY NOT TRASHY OR LOOKING TRASHY....PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER AND AFTERWARDS USE REGULAR ANTIBACTERIAL.... AGAIN LADIES DO NOT USE YOUR RASPBERRY SCENTED ANTIBACTERIAL FROM BATH SND BODY WORKS....ALL THAT EXTRA STUFF SETS OFF THE SCANNERS. ALL THAT FUSSINESS SETS OFF THR SCANNERS...DONT TOUCH MONEY PUT IT IN A CLEAR PLASTIC BAGGIE. WASH YOUR HANDS. WEAR CLEAN CLOTHES.ANTIBACTERIAL. AND MINIMAL PERFUME AND LOTIONS. KEEP IT CLASSY AND SIMPLE. ALL IN MODERATION AND YOU WILL HAVE LITTLE TO NO PROBLEMS , THE PRISON STAFF WILL RESPECT YOU MORE FOR NOT BEING A WALKING CIRCUS, AND IF YOURE THERE TO SEE HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND DONT EMBARASS YOURSELF OR HIM BY SEEKING NEGATIVE ATTENTION IN THE WAY YOU DRESS. AGAIN THESE ARE MEN...AND THINGS ARE HIGHLY SENSITIVE IN PRISON. IF ANOTHER MAN EVEN ASKS ABOUT HIS WIFE OR GF IT CAN CAUSE AN ARGUMENT. ITS PETTY TO US OUT IN THE FREE WORLD BUT THIS IS REALITY TO OUR LOVED ONES. IN THERE ITS ALL ABOUT RESPECT. RESPECT FOR YOURSELF AS WELL AS OTHERS. SO KEEP THESE THINGS IN MIND.

THANKS,
AMG
The Following User Says Thank You to alarr12 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarr12 View Post
IN THERE ITS ALL ABOUT RESPECT. RESPECT FOR YOURSELF AS WELL AS OTHERS. SO KEEP THESE THINGS IN MIND.
While I agree that scented products do increase your risk for tripping the scanner, I don't believe the scanners are testing for a certain level of class.

Scent sensitivity is a real thing, though. It's always polite to think of your fellow visitors and dial back the volume of your scented products.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malish View Post
yes, I had a false positive result at the Mendota fci in California in 2015. I came all the way from Philadelphia to visit my husband. I hadn't seen in almost 2 yrs. After 2 planes, rent a car and hotel. I was pissed and still am , because I was targeted!

I am A Muslim woman who covers myself all up. This prison is new and a mess! Ive been to Atwater penitentiary, Fci in Virginia and the Allenwood federal penitentiary as well and never has this ever happened before! Ive had paper ran across my hands, frisked by women officers who put me behind a screen and search my veil and all, no problem I understand they do what they do. But at this prison I was targeted, why do I say this?

The first day I went to visit I got itemized no problem negative. I seen the lt tell the new co to do it and the next time use gloves. I went in to see my husband but waited over 60 min for him to come down and I was the 3d person in the hall, at 8:45am, I knew then it was going to be a problem. Then the next day sunday I came back and once again I was itemized drug scanned. This time by the same LT. who told the co to do me the day before!!

So now it became a targeted scan and not random! 2 days straight by the same ppl?

nah, this isn't random!!! I had sat down put my shoes back on and the LT. sat down for awhile so I wouldn't think I was targeted and came over and said u know what come on over so I can scan you? yeh, the same lt as sat. well later on a woman came over and said I had to leave because I had come in contact with a controlled substance!!! and wouldn't tell me what it was! I said well I'm not leaving here until I see the head! well the Boss whoever he thought he was came out and told me I had to leave or he would have me locked up. I said no problem charge me! I again asked for the results he told me he didn't have to tell me or show me and as I told him well the ACLU or CAIR or internal affairs in DC because I was targeted and set up! he said he would tell them what it was you came in contact with?

I was in tears do to anger and how they just tried to say I'm a Muslima with drugs or whatever it was I was a nervous wreck, on the way to the airport I lost my id boarding pass etc. It took me two yrs to save that money up and my children helped. so Im suppose to stay inside of a sterile bubble coming from the east coast to the west coast and to the prison the whole time? That's crazy!!! I come in contact with all kind of money changing , food, water bottles, rent a cars, hotels rooms etc?

I came home got tested for every kind of drug it was and of course came up negative..I am now in the process of providing these organizations with the info. Also I went on line and investigated this scanner and there a many class suites going on about the scanner targeting 80 yr old grandmothers etc and many false positives!

One warden said they don't use it at all they sit on it because its not 100 percent accurate and it causes to many problems with the inmates visits and they need them to be ok.

That shouldn't be the last say so a machine! How bout a search etc or a swab etc. also the appeal paper said my doctor has to say I was on something to give them a reason why it came out positive? so on the real they are accusing me, but as my doctor said she cant say that and will say I wasn't on anything and I'm sending in the drug test!

My thing is I already know the feds do what they do! They think they above the law. My problem is the second day when I was done by the same officer who told the co to do me the day before, I became TARGETTED and PROFILED as THAT MUSLIM TERORIST!

Also if its says randomly picked there has to be guidelines for that, if not and they leave it up to the co then it becomes profiled and targeted. Many ppl haven't said nothing or choose not to because it takes a lot to deal with the feds, or they are afraid something will happen to their loved one or they wont ever be allowed to visit again or no one will do anthing about it.. It is what it is someone has and must say something about these things that occur, as I told them if I never see my husband again or hear from him when he gets out I will still be his wife inshallah (god willing), so they will never break me or his spirit..

Even if these ppl I contact wont do nothing about it, at least I tried to do something or say something about this itemizer scanning! So I will speak for them. I do thank Allah for the 1 day that I did get to see him. I am still shook a bit by them setting me up but I go through this a lot, but I never can get use to it.. Thank you I know I was long winded on this one , but so many ppl including grand moms are afraid to go back to visit their grandson's and they are all they have to visit them. So sad they have to find a better way to do these things. Hopefully one day they will. All this does is discourage ppl to go back and visit or have them nervous about a false positive. This goes against what the feds say they are about bringing families together as well as shipping them so far from their families and then when they come its the false positive machine waiting to greet them...

Also I thank you for having this subject on here and listening to us.
im so sorry this happened to you. i am not muslim i am a christian woman with italian in my heritage therefore i get mistaken for middle eastern often. i have many muslim and middle eastern friends and my pain goes out to you bc yes you are constantly harassed for something you did not do. my husband has many friends who are middle eastern and are in prison for do called " funding terrorism" many if whom were leaders at their mosque. to make a long story short i understand where you come from. my husband has been in prion for 15 years on a conspiracy charge by which he got a life sentence. he had a retrial and got 25 years. yes he is liberated from the mistakes he made when he was younger but he was also unfairly tried. and there is a lot of injustice in our country. especially in the prison system...where its been heavily commercialised and subcontracted out to huge corporations like CCA and GEO. this is modern slavery and very sad. but these are consequences and they are not fair...not all of them. we are still human beings. belonging to one race: the human race. whether your god is ALLAH or ELOHIM OR JEHOVAH we are all children of HIM. but this is our world nowdays. and although im christian and your muslim you are still my sister in God. I will pray that your next visit is better.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
While I agree that scented products do increase your risk for tripping the scanner, I don't believe the scanners are testing for a certain level of class.

Scent sensitivity is a real thing, though. It's always polite to think of your fellow visitors and dial back the volume of your scented products.
i know i just had to keep it interesting. To me it seems tgat tge women that get harassed the most are the walking circuses. I dont mean to be rude but i go there to visit my husband. nit for other men to gawk and smell me. and yes scents do set the iin drug scanner, as do perfumes, lotions, detergents with heavy perfumes AND MONEY IS DIRTY. a close friend of mine from college is a researcher at the FDA in Baltimore and has told mr herself that there are dyes and perfumes in our everyday products that are considered toxic and its sad that this information isnt easily available to everyone. :-)