Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 PM

Default How do you cope w/extra challenges of time zone, calls / visits?

I'm just curious how many wives, girlfriends, husbands and boyfriends are in another country and whom have a loved one in the American penal system?

How do you cope with the extra challenges of time zone, and other issues like not being able to call, have visits, etc? that wouldn't normally happen if you were in country?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2019, 01:30 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,985 Posts

You just do and adjust. It works and I'm fine with it.
Not to say I wish could visit him more frequently but it is what it is.
We've been doing this for almost 5 years and he's respectful of the time-difference when calling.
Born (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 02:54 AM

I find the 6 hour time difference to be beneficial actually. He calls me either after breakfast, which is the time I get off work or in the afternoon, so between 8-10pm for me. The phones aren’t busy at all around this time and if we have back to back calls, he won’t have to wait because someone’s in line behind him.
The visits are another thing. But I‘m not stressing out about something that I can’t change.
The Following User Says Thank You to cloverhoney For This Useful Post:
Born (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:15 AM
Donation Award 

With emails it is pretty easy and pleasant. Since the time difference does not bother. Weekly video visits over the last 3 years can also be arranged well. If there are things to clarify then it is difficult because the distance is there. In person visits are the best and every flight booking prepares anticipation. With that people have to deal with, when we / you are far away but have a dear person or several dear people behind walls! However, I do enjoy in person visits over the ocean and glad that I'm able to do it. But time shift is not a problem, 6 hours isn't much.
The Following User Says Thank You to mauri23 For This Useful Post:
Born (11-09-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
I'm just curious how many wives, girlfriends, husbands and boyfriends are in another country and whom have a loved one in the American penal system?

How do you cope with the extra challenges of time zone, and other issues like not being able to call, have visits, etc? that wouldn't normally happen if you were in country?
There is a 16 hour time difference for me and my PF, I live 16 hours in the future LOL.

For emails it's not too bad, I get them when I wake up so it's a nice way to start the day.

Phone Calls are a bit more tricky, the system we have there are two different times she may call me at and I make sure I always have my phone near me at those time.

It's worked pretty well so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigVin For This Useful Post:
emms8884 (Yesterday)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 PM

There's only six hours between him and I, which means by the time i finish work he's just waking up. So during the rest of the day we write to each other and then on weekends we have video visits my afternoon/his morning. He always makes sure i have a message to wake up to . Also we have date days. He'll download a film onto his tablet and we'll watch it at whatever time we've decided on, obviously it's not the same as watching it physically together, but it makes me feel closer to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to emms8884 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,424 Times in 4,743 Posts

We have 7 hours between us so my evening is his afternoon. His evening is my early hours of the morning. We talk when we want at weekends and he calls between 7 and 10 pm my time on the week days.
We make it work and I am lucky enough to visit him every 3 months. The long haul flights are a drag but he is worth it.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.