Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 05-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Donation Award 

Default Son moved to El Dorado, what is the process there? Are they given Counselor

Does anyone else have a loved one at El Dorado? They moved my son out of RDU and he was classed as Max which shocked us all. He will be at El Dorado for a while. He just moved yesterday - he called me last night and he as best he could let me know how scared he was. He kept saying it's so different, everyone just stands around and stares at everyone. He made the comment which I know is every parents nightmare - I guess if I do something wrong I will get beat up and I'll know not to do it again. I cried till I couldn't breath last night. I'm sure he will figure it all out over time and I know there is bound to be fights. He mentioned something about a "riot" occurred a day or two before he was transferred. I told him maybe it's best he doesn't tell me everything because I'm going to lose my mind with worry.

Here is my main question. I cannot get a single soul to answer the phone at the facility and I've hit every extension possible, how do I know if I am able to visit him this weekend? They transferred him and so far he has had no contact by anyone to advise him what the process is and what he needs to do. He has been asking but seems to fall on deaf ears. If he completed a request to speak to someone who should he even ask to speak to? I thought someone was there to help them with things if they have questions?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will say this site has been the only source of support I have personally found and I am so grateful for those that take the time to respond to me. My family really hasn't been able to comprehend what I feel or am going through trying to deal with all of this on my own.

Thank you to all and have a wonderful and hopefully a weekend full of fun and family.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,667 Times in 16,915 Posts

They'll let him know where to go, when to go and who to see in their own good time I know its frustrating, and I know its difficult, but you're just gonna have to let him figure it out.....and um boy howdy is that a tough pill to swallow for us parents

I'm not familiar with that particular facility, hopefully someone from Kansas will be along to give you the run down on El Dorado.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 PM

Sorry you're stressing out. If he is in general population at El Dorado he is in the living units on the west side of the compound. He is assigned a Unit Team counselor who should be available to assist him with any questions or the unit officer.

If you have questions and can't get anyone at the facility, contact Doug Burris at 785-296-2753. He is the Corrections Manager at Central Office for Inmate and Family Questions/Concerns. He does answer his phone and return phone calls and emails. His email address is doug.burris@ks.gov. The link to his contact info is on the KDOC website under contacts.

You can ask Doug Burris about visiting. Since you are immediate family you should be on his temporary visiting list for 30 days and be allowed to visit.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-31-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Donation Award 

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR PCS View Post
Sorry you're stressing out. If he is in general population at El Dorado he is in the living units on the west side of the compound. He is assigned a Unit Team counselor who should be available to assist him with any questions or the unit officer.

If you have questions and can't get anyone at the facility, contact Doug Burris at 785-296-2753. He is the Corrections Manager at Central Office for Inmate and Family Questions/Concerns. He does answer his phone and return phone calls and emails. His email address is doug.burris@ks.gov. The link to his contact info is on the KDOC website under contacts.

You can ask Doug Burris about visiting. Since you are immediate family you should be on his temporary visiting list for 30 days and be allowed to visit.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for this information I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel now. I finally got an answer at the visitation desk and she advised me that they no longer do the temporary 30 day visiting list and have not for a while. She stated she had no idea why the DOC website still has that information out there. FYI