Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Florida should be posted here.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:45 PM

Post Can someone explain how Control Release works in Florida?

Can someone explain how control release works in Florida? I've read how inmates are scored to determine if they are eligible for early release but not if control release is something Florida is currently doing. My Fiancee is about going to processing tomorrow, he was sentenced to 24 months with 18 days time served. With his time served, if he gets all his gain time and serves 85% of his time, he'll be home Sept 2021. He's a first offender and a veteran. Several people have mentioned work release but I'm not sure how that works either. He's been in for 11 days. I miss him more than I thought possible and am trying to look at every possibility he can get out early.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2020, 08:27 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,493 Times in 16,826 Posts

Like everything else, Control Release is governed by Florida Statute. I hope this helps explain how it works, who's eligible and who's not eligible & why (click the links provided):

CHAPTER 947FLORIDA COMMISSION ON OFFENDER REVIEW; CONDITIONAL RELEASE; CONTROL RELEASE; PAROLE

Control Release specifically is: 947.146 Control Release Authority.

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 PM

Thank you. I was trying to see if my fiancee would be eligible. It looks like he would but I'm having a hard time finding out what the current capacity Florida prisons are at. His attorney said there were "talks to decrease the prison population" which could mean control release but it's difficult to find anything other than the statute about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckennedy0225 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 09:04 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,493 Times in 16,826 Posts

"talks to decrease the prison population" and Control Release are really 2 different things. Control Release will only happen according to the statute above (w/o looking, I think it was 90 days @ 99% capacity). However, that doesn't mean that there aren't "talks" about further / future legislation, policies, etc that would decrease the prison population regardless of the % capacity, such as parole, additional good time and/or other measures.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-03-2020)