Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

KANSAS Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc

Old 01-27-2018, 12:16 PM

Default How can he send money?

My fiancé has a minimum wage job and wants to send money home, but they are telling us spouse and family only. He tried to explain to them that I am his fiancé and the only family he has. They don’t care. They’re telling us we will have to get married before he can send money home. Neither of us ever wanted a prison wedding. Especially me. Is there any way around this?

Last edited by Injunparade; 01-27-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,086 Posts

I moved your thread to our Kansas forums as I assume it is your fiance's location as well - you will probably get better replies over here Let me know if he's not in Kansas and/or is in Federal instead.

Hopefully someone familiar with this issue will be commenting with some advice soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
Injunparade (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,206 Times in 3,085 Posts

If they say it's not allowed, then it's not allowed so there is no way around it. He should keep the money he's making in there to support himself inside. If one has plenty extra to send home then it's probably not legally obtained. I may be wrong but I don't think any inmate in any prison makes more than $100-150 a month.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:00 PM

He makes quite a bit more than that, quite legally. He has a full-time minimum wage job with a private industry that contracts through the prison. He pays for all of his own commissary, phone, and email and wants to send the rest home to me for our bills and maintain his finances out here. Even though we were legitimately engaged before he went down, they won’t let him send it. I need some creative solutions. Neither of us have any faith in the inmate trust fund and it’s not doing any good sitting there. We really need this figured out. Actually getting married in the prison is a last resort because he’ll be back home in 2 years and we had most of our wedding planned already. We’re both very frustrated and it’s stressing him out REALLY bad not being able to contribute to keeping our home running smoothly when he has the resources to send and no way to send them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Injunparade For This Useful Post:
xolady (01-29-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injunparade View Post
He makes quite a bit more than that, quite legally. He has a full-time minimum wage job with a private industry that contracts through the prison. He pays for all of his own commissary, phone, and email and wants to send the rest home to me for our bills and maintain his finances out here. Even though we were legitimately engaged before he went down, they won’t let him send it. I need some creative solutions. Neither of us have any faith in the inmate trust fund and it’s not doing any good sitting there. We really need this figured out. Actually getting married in the prison is a last resort because he’ll be back home in 2 years and we had most of our wedding planned already. We’re both very frustrated and it’s stressing him out REALLY bad not being able to contribute to keeping our home running smoothly when he has the resources to send and no way to send them.
Get a financial power of attorney and open a bank account with him! I did that it was the only way at one time I could deal with my then fiance's stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Injunparade (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Get a financial power of attorney and open a bank account with him! I did that it was the only way at one time I could deal with my then fiance's stuff.
Those are the kinds of ideas I need! Thank you! We were toying with the idea of getting married in prison just for this crap, but not filing the license then actually have our real wedding and marriage, file the license, and all that when he’s back home. Weren’t sure if that would work though. I’m a “professional student” right now and don’t want to lose my funding because of a change in legal marital status.
The Following User Says Thank You to Injunparade For This Useful Post:
xolady (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injunparade View Post
Those are the kinds of ideas I need! Thank you! We were toying with the idea of getting married in prison just for this crap, but not filing the license then actually have our real wedding and marriage, file the license, and all that when he’s back home. Weren’t sure if that would work though. I’m a “professional student” right now and don’t want to lose my funding because of a change in legal marital status.
It was a pain in the ass but it was what we ultimately had to do. I had all his checks deposited so I could then pay bills on the outs so he didn't lose everything. I don't know if your state has this but Florida had something like a live in companion thing so people who lived together could file taxes together, and give live in heath beni's from significant others heath beni's but that is another option to check into. I have been out of the daily prison stuff for a few years so my info might be wrong but worth a shot. Also if he gives you his power of attorney you legally have his consent to put his money where he wants it not where prison say's it goes. Lots of people have no immediate family to step in so your not the first and won't be the last please keep posting on how this goes so others may benefit from what you learn. Good luck!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 PM

KDOC has an IMPP (policy) which specifically precludes an inmate from having access to, opening or using an outside bank account unless it is a trust account managed by a fiduciary. The IMPP specifically states "family and friends" may not manage the account. IMPP 04-103. If they find out he has access to an outside bank account, they will place all his current funds and any incoming funds into Forced Savings, he will not have access to any funds for the remainder of his incarceration. He is also subject to disciplinary action and will almost definitely lose his PI job.

The KDOC has an agreement with the private industry that all inmate paychecks will be forwarded to the inmate trust account, so even if you had a power of attorney, the PI job would not send you his paycheck. Same goes for work release. IMPP 10-128.

In order to obtain a Power of Attorney in KDOC it has to be on the approved KDOC form and submitted to the administration for review to insure it complies with KDOC policies. If he puts on it it is for opening an outside bank account, it will be denied. The Power of Attorney has to be notarized and KDOC requires an approval of the POA before any KDOC notary can notarize it. IMPP 01-104

What facility is he at? Each one is different. If it's Norton, he's not getting it approved. Lansing and Hutchinson, he may be able to get it approved.

Did you know each other prior to prison. KDOC recognizes common-law marriage, but I'm guessing he did not make that claim at the time of admission. So it is likely that will not work. IMPP 01-126.

He has a $40 limit per month that he can send out. IMPP 11-101. Because he has a PI job he can request an increase in the amount, but they can approve or deny in their sole discretion.

Last edited by AR PCS; 01-27-2018 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Update
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
Injunparade (01-29-2018), xolady (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 AM
*Us3AgainstTheWorld*

Wow that's crazy cause minez would send $ when he was in LA. PA. the main two states he was at. Sorry only read the first couple. Good morning have a good day.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 AM

Another idea, if the money is to be used to pay bills he can request KDOC send checks to the business. If you have receipts in his name you can send those to him and KDOC will allow him to send checks to pay those bills. For example if he has an electric bill, you can send the copy of the electric bill and KDOC will allow him to send a check to the electric company, no matter the amount. If he has an attorney, he can send money for legal fees. If you can get his name added to bills KDOC will send those checks normally without question or limit on funds.
The Following User Says Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
xolady (01-29-2018)