Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in New York, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Thanked 4,331 Times in 2,061 Posts
Default New Visitation Rules for New York DOC: 8/5/20

-numbers of visits will be decreased by half to allow for social distancing
- no more than 2 people
-will be sorted by last name or DIM number
-2 hour visit that must be arranged in advanced with proof of visit confirmation
-everyone must wear masks
-no physical touching
-movement around the visitation floor will modified for social distancing
-no RFPs
- all visitors will fill out a screening form and have temperature checked
- children's area will be closed for at least the 1st 30 days
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-29-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2020, 08:40 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,027 Times in 17,087 Posts

onedayatatime13, is that info on the NYDOC website?

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-29-2020, 10:17 PM

Not yet. They got a paper inside today with the new rules. They are very slow to update the website.
patchouli (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
-numbers of visits will be decreased by half to allow for social distancing
- no more than 2 people
-will be sorted by last name or DIM number
-2 hour visit that must be arranged in advanced with proof of visit confirmation
-everyone must wear masks
-no physical touching
-movement around the visitation floor will modified for social distancing
-no RFPs
- all visitors will fill out a screening form and have temperature checked
- children's area will be closed for at least the 1st 30 days
That's trash what the point of going you cant even hold or kiss your loved one that you haven't seen in months omg wow thete will be allot of angry people gotta wear a mask so they cant even eat or anything yeah good luck with that glad i dont have to deal with that if i did i wouldn't even go there
Old 05-30-2020, 06:49 AM
Lil British Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 12,083 Times in 5,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
That's trash what the point of going you cant even hold or kiss your loved one that you haven't seen in months omg wow thete will be allot of angry people gotta wear a mask so they cant even eat or anything yeah good luck with that glad i dont have to deal with that if i did i wouldn't even go there
You seem to be missing the point, these measures are not to annoy people , they are to ensure visiting can return safely during this virus pandemic. Where ever possible its important to ensure the virus is not getting into the prisons and infecting our loved ones. We all want our loved ones safe and that should be the over riding consideration. There are law suits being filed to ensure inmates are protected from the virus. Quite rightly they should be protected as much as possible.
Lets not choose instant gratification over safety. Its sad not to be able to hug on a visit it would be far far worse for those whose loved ones passed away in the pandemic as they would never be able to hug their loved ones again.
I miss my husband so much its unbearable and yet I am not selfish enough to want to put him and everyone elses loved one at risk.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
BackAgain123 (Yesterday), LifeTraveler (05-31-2020), Ms Sunny (05-30-2020), nene_510 (06-11-2020), onedayatatime13 (05-30-2020), She'sMyAngel (06-01-2020), Suesue22 (05-30-2020), trauma4us (05-30-2020), WesB (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:24 AM

Yes it sucks, but my LO is not freaking out about it. Surprisingly, he was calm. They are scared too. There is no real medical to take care of them.

Many people have it but are asymptomatic, but can pass it to those who are more vulnerable. 50% of NYS prison population is considered vulnerable in some way shape or form.

I dont like this at all, but I appreciate they have a plan in place. Visits become harder for me personally. 7 hr drive for one 2 hr visit. I used to get 2/ 8hr visits. Yet, hisnlife is more important.

Once this has passed, things will hopefully go back to normal. This won't be forever, but it will be for a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-31-2020), patchouli (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
You seem to be missing the point, these measures are not to annoy people , they are to ensure visiting can return safely during this virus pandemic. Where ever possible its important to ensure the virus is not getting into the prisons and infecting our loved ones. We all want our loved ones safe and that should be the over riding consideration. There are law suits being filed to ensure inmates are protected from the virus. Quite rightly they should be protected as much as possible.
Lets not choose instant gratification over safety. Its sad not to be able to hug on a visit it would be far far worse for those whose loved ones passed away in the pandemic as they would never be able to hug their loved ones again.
I miss my husband so much its unbearable and yet I am not selfish enough to want to put him and everyone elses loved one at risk.
Yeah but the inmates can still get the virus from the workers there to they have been getting sick from them actually because visits have been cancelled for months now so you cant say they are doing it for the visits idk its just a nightmare all around
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah but the inmates can still get the virus from the workers there to they have been getting sick from them actually because visits have been cancelled for months now so you cant say they are doing it for the visits idk its just a nightmare all around
Everyone is required to wear masks. Movement is limited. Dorms stay together. There is no mixing even if the inmates have a job. There is more cleaning and access to hand sanitizer. Far from perfect, but better than it was 2 months. Also, staff is limited. Most counselors are not there.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:25 AM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
How do you know visitors didnít bring it on their last visit. How do you know it wasnít on a can that came in a package.
None of us really know, we have to take precautions.
Since your LO will be our prior to visits starting, this really is a moot subject for you.

Others just need what and however they can have an in person moment with loved ones, and the people inside need to see their people. Humans need contact.
And that is what counts right now.
Itís the opposite of a nightmare, itís a solid plan.
And letís hope when you LO gets out, he is healthy, and letís hope we all stay healthy and take precautions.

I
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (05-31-2020), maytayah (05-31-2020), patchouli (05-30-2020), She'sMyAngel (06-01-2020), Suesue22 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 AM

Default New Visitation Rules for New York DOC: 8/5/20

Quote:

Itís important to limit outside visitors either contractors or the public. Staff need to go in and I am sure that as in the U.K. staff with symptoms or with infected family members isolate. Contractors and deliveries need to come in to the prisons and I am sure measures are in place to ensure that deliveries and contractors work safely with limited contact with inmates and staff including the use of masks and sanitiser.
Contractors and staff are not hugging and kissing the inmates and holding hands whilst eating vending machine food. Itís lovely to visit but in these times when itís all about infection control visiting as it used to be is not essential. I travel across oceans to see my husband I would be sad not to hug and kiss but I will accept it as well as masks and shorter visits. I want him and everyone in the prison to be safe staff and inmates.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.

Last edited by maytayah; 05-31-2020 at 06:54 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (05-31-2020), onedayatatime13 (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:24 PM

My husband is in a federal prison but we've talked about when visits are restored as well as these rules that NY is putting out. First the prisons are going to be bombarded with people and I don't do holidays for that reason so I had already said I wouldn't be going right away. Secondly I drive 6 hours for a visit... We've both decided I'm not driving six hours for a 2 hour visit that would not involve touching, or maybe even eating or driving and I'm not going to spend the money for a hotel for another 2 hours. He has already said that he doesn't expect federal to reinstate visits until next year. I'm just hoping for video visits, I just don't know who to contact to see how we can get the ball rolling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
My husband is in a federal prison but we've talked about when visits are restored as well as these rules that NY is putting out. First the prisons are going to be bombarded with people and I don't do holidays for that reason so I had already said I wouldn't be going right away. Secondly I drive 6 hours for a visit... We've both decided I'm not driving six hours for a 2 hour visit that would not involve touching, or maybe even eating or driving and I'm not going to spend the money for a hotel for another 2 hours. He has already said that he doesn't expect federal to reinstate visits until next year. I'm just hoping for video visits, I just don't know who to contact to see how we can get the ball rolling.
Yeah i feel the same way as you like i said its no point in going to sit at a table to not be able to embrace them or anything to just have to sit by them but cant touch them they might not be that packed because allot of people probably wont go for 2 hours travel all those hours for a 2 hour visit
Old 05-31-2020, 03:52 PM

I will take the 7 hour drive once a month because my loved ones needs the contact and so do I. I wouldn't go as often.
maytayah (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:49 PM

I will still make the trip as he is worth it , I accept what we will get until things change.

The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I will still make the trip as he is worth it , I accept what we will get until things change.
Yes,I wouldn't punish him or myself because of the virus. It is part of having a loved one in prison. However, all families have to do what is right for them.
Girl22472 (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 10:31 PM

My Hubby hasnít heard anything, I have not seen any updates. This is torture!
But if this is going to be how we must visit one another then it is what it is. I rather at least be able to look at him and talk to him face to face and have him out of SHU for those 2 hours, so if there are more rules right now to follow then Iíll follow them to protect everyone. Itís not easy at all. But unfortunately this is the way life is set up at this moment. We just have to think of them first. I love him too much to stay away. God bless them all inside.

I ❤️ You Mr.J

..Waiting is the hardest part in loving someone; you need to wait in order to know that it is true..
Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 AM

There was something on the kiosk this morning about video visits. He was on the ohone with me and then going to work, so later I'll find out what the info is.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
There was something on the kiosk this morning about video visits. He was on the phone with me and then going to work, so later I'll find out what the info is.
Oh really that's cool i wonder if they do them who would pay for them if they have them i wonder
Old 06-01-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Oh really that's cool i wonder if they do them who would pay for them if they have them i wonder
Most other states the LO pay for them. He said there was a flash about and not they were going to get it. I'm still trying to find out about it.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:16 PM

website is updated. All regions need to be in Phase 3 before visits will start. NYC isn't evennin phase 1 yet. Open the tab that says reopening plan
Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
website is updated. All regions need to be in Phase 3 before visits will start. NYC isn't evennin phase 1 yet. Open the tab that says reopening plan
Oh okay they open next monday so about 6 weeks after that im not in phase 2 yet where i live at i think every phase is 2 weeks yeah i read they are starting transfers to today so that's good

Last edited by ambermarshall11; 06-01-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Old 06-01-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Oh okay they open next monday so about 6 weeks after that im not in phase 2 yet where i live at i think every phase is 2 weeks yeah i read they are starting transfers to today so that's good
Depending on how cases go. No one knows with the protests if cases will jump again. It's a wait and see
Old 06-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Default To onedayatarime

First of all thank you for this information. My concern is what about those families that are traveling long distance in nyc how will this affect them.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarider1107 View Post
First of all thank you for this information. My concern is what about those families that are traveling long distance in nyc how will this affect them.
You'll have to make an appt. The visit will be one day on the weekend for 2 hrs. Only 2 ppl.

I have a 7 hr trip, so I feel you.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:21 PM
Until the end

Quote:
I haven't seen my wife in person in 3 months. Just some bullshit grainy video once a week and calls. When you go that long after daily 3 hour visits, I will walk across an ocean, a volcano, and climb over bodies to get my one hour a week for me. Why? Its better than zero. I am SUPER DUPER happy that you don't have to "deal with that" anymore. Your insight is amazing.