Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan City and County Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan City and County Jails This Forum is for all Michigan Jail Information

Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Why the big differences between Michigan jails and Michigan prisons?

Why the big differences between Michigan jails and Michigan prisons? For instance, no smoking, no time outside, practically non existent visiting. And why are they so dirty? If the inmates in the prison system can be responsible for cleaning, why can't the inmates clean in the jails? Do the Michigan jails ever transfer the prisoners from county to county?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Miss'n my brother!

Why the big differences between Michigan jails and Michigan prisons?
I think the reason for this is because jail is just where your housed until you either go to prison or you get released. And as far as I know they do get time outside, on like the 13th floor (the roof) or something. They want your stay to be unpleasant, maybe so you don't come back. And I guess it's more "laxed" so to speak in prison because that is your home until you get out.

And why are they so dirty?
Who knows really, probably because their old and they need some paint to make them look cleaner.

If the inmates in the prison system can be responsible for cleaning, why can't the inmates clean in the jails?
They do.

Do the Michigan jails ever transfer the prisoners from county to county?
No, I don't believe they do unless another County has a hold on them.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:38 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Many of the counties do not have the funds to staff a jail to allow the prisoners to go outside, etc. And I agree with Mlynnm.. they are there for punishment and its hoped that by making them miserable in jail it will be a deterrent to come back. Unfortunately for some, that doesn't work!

And why are they so dirty? Well I haven't been in too many jails, but the ones I was in were pretty clean for the most part.

If the inmates in the prison system can be responsible for cleaning, why can't the inmates clean in the jails? I thought they do as well.

County jails are just that.. for prisoners convicted of crimes in that county. Once in a while someone will be transferred to another county due to overcrowding, but no, they have to serve their time in the county of conviction.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 AM

My fiance' was moved to county for a hearing. He says that the showers are black with mold, and that in general it is very filthy. Apparently, they aren't given anything to clean with. And in the weeks he's been there, he hasn't been outside. Maybe some are better than others. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Hmm.. maybe a well written letter to the sheriff - with copies to the health department and any other agencies regarding the dirty conditions would help.

Its not uncommon for the jail prisoners to not go outside so thats something that is not "arguable" however the cleanliness definitely is!
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

The only way I know that they could get more freedom is to be a trustee or if they work at a job and report at nights back to the jail like they do at Dickerson.
I've heard horror stories on how disgusting the old Wayne County Jail is too. Where my boyfriend is currently their room is to be cleaned on a daily basis. The trustees clean the other parts of the jail.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 PM

Hey my friend was just picked up and is now in Stanton Jail in Michigan can anyone help me?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Nurse/Paralegal....PTO RA

Berrien County is a major filth hole.

The rules in the handbook do not apply to deputies. It clearly states that prisoners are to be allowed access to a phone for 1 hour per day... and my guy went days and days without being able to call. He couldn't even contact his lawyer before trial!!!

IT clearly states they are to receive recreation everyday... but there is no attempt to ever do this. They don't even guarantee showers on a daily basis.

We need to become activitists for change in how we treat our prisoners. We lock them up, treat them like crap and then release them and expect them to be nice. It doesn't work!

Faithfully waiting member #87
LASO

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
~ Albert Einstein
Old 10-05-2006, 04:19 PM
No BULLSHIT member
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,569 Posts
Default Jail Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeS269
Berrien County is a major filth hole.

I agree, I spent seven months in H Block at the Berrien County Jail. It is a filth hole. If the Department of Health were to see the drunk tank where they hold EVERYONE until they are processed, they would close it down. There were fourteen men in there with me (most for two or three days). There were no mattresses, and only enough room for two or maybe three men to sleep somewhere other than the floor. Some were sleeping within one or two feet from the toilet.

In the cell block, once a day the trustys brought a string mop around in a bucket and it was used to clean the entire cell block. The ones who wanted it to be clean usually ended up cleaning the whole cell block for themselves and also cleaning the areas used by those who chose to live like pigs. Why clean up after yourself when there is someone who likes to live like a human who will do it for you?

The rules in the handbook do not apply to deputies. It clearly states that prisoners are to be allowed access to a phone for 1 hour per day... and my guy went days and days without being able to call. He couldn't even contact his lawyer before trial!!!

In H block, there was one phone for 14 people. Most times it was accessible. Maybe not exactly when one wanted it, but you could get a call out just about any day.

IT clearly states they are to receive recreation everyday... but there is no attempt to ever do this. They don't even guarantee showers on a daily basis.

Berrien County was so overcrowded that prisoners were being housed on the floor in the gym facility inside the jail. I went seven months without going outside, or even seeing outside except through a window during my hearing.

We need to become activitists for change in how we treat our prisoners. We lock them up, treat them like crap and then release them and expect them to be nice. It doesn't work!

The change in attitude and mindset in most people including myself is how you learn to cope with people who want to either hurt or take advantage of you. Being too timid gets you either hurt or taken for everything you have. If you are not willing to defend yourself you are fresh meat for those who have no qualms at all about beating you up for a postage stamp or just because they don't like the way you look at them. For the most part they are the REAL predators inside the prison system. Many of them have "Predatory" marked on their jackets even though they are not in for a sex crime.

The key to getting anything changed is to get someone in Lansing to give a damn, plain and simple.
Justice4Dan (12-12-2008)
Old 10-05-2006, 05:11 PM

Lansing give a damn?

Not unless they are caught red handed on TV.

I was in the holding tank for about 12 hours and I couldn't stop smelling that wretched smell for DAYS!!!!

LASO

~ Albert Einstein

Last edited by LeeS269; 10-05-2006 at 05:13 PM..
Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb
Why the big differences between Michigan jails and Michigan prisons? For instance, no smoking, no time outside, practically non existent visiting. And why are they so dirty? If the inmates in the prison system can be responsible for cleaning, why can't the inmates clean in the jails? Do the Michigan jails ever transfer the prisoners from county to county?
There is a major difference between county jails & the prison system in Michigan.
County jails can be harder for reasons already addressed: no smoking; zero outside time; locked in at all times except for meals and worship (this was the case in the 80's, when I last did real county time).

Prison officials have to deal with hard timers and they must control them in some way. Try to take away long timer's smokes and yard time... you have a situation on your hands. Most county inmates have less than a few months to serve and are not going to risk losing good time - or another charge. So the loss of cigarettes, while awful, was pretty much a non-event. No one in a county jail who had a lick of sense was going to start sh*t over that.

I was in Kent County Honor Camp in Gowen MI for six months (five with good time), and still there were a few idiots who tried to run. None successfully. I was more than happy to spend my months in fresh air, working my ass off. Rather than sitting in a cell 20 hours a day, on a mat on the floor, (because you're the 8th person in a 6 man cell) for 30 days, which I did twice.

Not to mention the weekends spent in the holding cell (drunk tank)... usually from Friday evening until late Monday afternoon. Those cess-pits are designed for 10 or 12 guys ~ but I've witnessed 20-25 packed in (again, this is all from the 80's... I have no idea what it is like now... thank God). This is the worst of the county system, because minor offenders are mixed in with murderers and rapists and the generally insane.

No one is safe. Your cigarettes were community property unless you could hide them (impossible). I was once bunked next to a guy who'd murdered his father, and couldn't stop recounting the event to the rest of us (I was in for late child support payments). He was small and talkative but we all knew he was insane and left him alone to ramble. If a few guys been in an assigned cell upstairs with him, his head would likely have been shoved into the toilet to shut him up. But in the drunk tank you can't do that... you have guards within feet of you who will see it happen, and stomp your guts out for fun.

I was in county solitary one time in the 80s for two days, after I "resisted arrest" (bullsh*t), and it is the most peaceful time I've ever spent in any jail.

I'm so glad those days are behind me. Praying for all of ya.

1st post... probably shouldn't have made it so long

/edited to make it longer

Last edited by KCHC1982; 10-09-2006 at 10:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to KCHC1982 For This Useful Post:
Justice4Dan (12-12-2008)
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM

Your post isn't even close to being long compared to others!!!!

We are all here to "hear" what you have to say so don't worry about the length.

LASO

~ Albert Einstein
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeS269
Your post isn't even close to being long compared to others!!!!

We are all here to "hear" what you have to say so don't worry about the length.

Thanks - I edited it to make it longer. I forgot a few details (I do that a lot).

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
County Jails are holding inmates for court or someone being sentenced for under a year.

Quote:
For instance, no smoking, no time outside, practically non existent visiting.
All county buildings went no smoking and the jail is a county building. There are some areas in the jail that do get to go out side. I know my ex could not but he was in Max. And I could visit once a week.

Quote:
And why are they so dirty? If the inmates in the prison system can be responsible for cleaning, why can't the inmates clean in the jails??
they do clean the jail here in Oakland county I sure it is not the cleanest but when you are so over crowded it is hard to keep clean.

Quote:
I know in here in Oakland county inmates are held in the main jail or the annexs that are all over the place. Sometimes they move them around to other countys to make room. Usally it is some place north were there is not so much crime and there is room

I do know that my ex could not wait to get to prison and out of county cause you could not do anything in there. he said that there was way more freedom in Prison but I guess if you made it real nice then that would be a problem all so..
Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM

I am very new to the world of jails and prisons. I am completely appauled at the treatment my friend is receiving in Livingston County Jail. They are in a room that is designed for 18. As of last night...they had 9 guys sleeping on the floor...bringing the total to 27. He was not given any personal hygiene items and had to purchase them from commissary. I understand this concept, but the problem is that it is only distributed once a week. He got there the day it was distributed so he had to wait a week. Then the next week, there was an "error" and the guys got nothing. So...he was there for 2 weeks without a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc.

Then, there was an issue where one of the guard teams felt like they needed to search the room. They woke them all up at 3am...moved them to an empty room and opened the window (it was 39 degrees outside) and left them there for an hour and a half.

They eat in the same room and leave only for visitors (15 min a week) and for court. No time outside whatsoever. They also leave the lights on 24/7.

Finally, the last straw is the mail situation. I send him TONS of mail everyday. Cards, letters, etc. Yesterday, they gave him part of it and told him that he would not get the rest because "he gets too much mail".

The only bright side is that he has access to the phone all day until 11pm. Fortunately, I am able to afford the outrageous phone charges that "Inmate Calling Solutions" charges so we can talk several times a day.

The biggest part that I don't understand is that most of these men have not been sentenced yet. What happened to their civil rights and the notion that they are to be presumed innocent until proven guilty?

*Sigh*

It's very frustrating!