Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arkansas.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM

Default Calico Rock (North Central) Race Ratios of inmates, improved reputation?

Does anyone currently have any loved ones assigned here that can provide feedback? Years ago, this facility had a reputation to have high racial tensions, high number of white gang members and the very few blacks that ended up there were "trouble makers" from other prisons and supposedly sent there to have less prominence. Also, many sex offenders are sent there for additional protection..??? Rumors or truth, I dont know... Does this mean the facility is more stringent in the monitoring practices of the inmate population in comparison to other larger facilities. According to the DOC inmate search today the stats are:

NCU is small (579 inmates) of which 116 are black (20%) whereas 436 are white (75%) other races would total the remaining 5%. These numbers show that today there is still huge racial unbalanced ratios compared to the other facilities. Does anyone know the policy & procedure of how assignment is determined at NCU? I also see that there are 155 sex offenders out of 579 , ( roughly 27%). This appears to be a high percentage in relation to a small facility as well.

Has there been improvements in the administration issues that gave NCU a bad reputation back in 2006-07 that received so much public attention? How much has the practices and racial tensions changed since then? Anyone who visits there or has family there can you give some insight ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 AM

It is still very race profiled... In Boot Camp several of the DI's told us lots of stories about Calico... Two of the black males that didnt make it in Boot Camp because of behavior issues were sent there for that very reason. Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to lizzybell1979 For This Useful Post:
angelbaby20 (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM

I've been to NCU. It's not that bad i actuall liked it better than i like the other units. The only thing is where it is in the boondocks. lol
Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Donation Award 

My son just got moved here from Varner. He is white and is a Sex Offender. Sound like he will be safe here.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Im_Solos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoSRS View Post
My son just got moved here from Varner. He is white and is a Sex Offender. Sound like he will be safe here.
The Warden at Calico Rock is very fair. He is one of the Best Wardens in the state.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 PM

i have a friend there... i hve visited there several time... i thought it was a nice unit.. the COs were nice

M

Old 10-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Donation Award 

I love the guard at the front,, Thomas" she is so nice.