Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Louisiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Time off for Good Behavior

Can anyone tell me if they know if a sex offender in Louisiana can get time off for good behavior. Have talked to several lawyers and their views are different about this, but my nephew saids he is eligble but his lawyer saids he dosen't know. It is sad when your own lawyer dosen't know. Well thanks in advance for any info.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:18 PM

If you go to the state legislature's website the revised statutes are available. I just went to "search law" and typed in "good time for sex offenders and a lot of matches came up but this might be what you are looking for. If not go to www.legis.state.la.us/ and go to "find law" and type in what you are looking for under revised statutes.

537. Sentencing of sexual offenders; serial sexual offenders
A. If a person is convicted of or pleads guilty to, or where adjudication has been deferred or withheld for a violation of R.S. 14:78 (incest), R.S. 14:78.1 (aggravated incest), R.S. 14:89(A)(1) (crime against nature), R.S. 14:89.1 (aggravated crime against nature), R.S. 14:93.5 (sexual battery of the infirm) or any provision of Subpart C of Part II, or Subpart A(1) of Part V, of Chapter 1 of Title 14 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, and is sentenced to imprisonment for a stated number of years or months, the person shall not be eligible for diminution of sentence for good behavior.

B. The court shall sentence a person who has on two or more occasions previously pleaded guilty, nolo contendere, or has been found guilty of violating R.S. 14:42, 42.1, 43, 43.1, 43.2, 43.3, 43.4, 43.5, 78, 78.1, 80, 81, 81.1, 81.2, 89.1, or 107.1(C)(2) to life imprisonment without the benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Good Behavior

Thanks Kathy for the reply although I'm not sure what all that means. My nephew saids he thinks he is eligble but I can't get a clear answer. He pled to indecent behavior with a julvnile. Do not know if that law also applies to him or not, and his lawyer was as confused as we are. He is also at Hunts but we expect him to be moved just don't know where. Is you husband in miniuim, I think thats where my nephew is. How are the vistations there. He has been there for about two weeks now, but he is very anxious to see his wife and kids. I think they will be able to visit on the 29th. Well thanks again for the reply I will pass it along to his wife and mother.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:17 AM

Cajun mama,
I typed indecent behavior with a juvenile and I'll post below what the answer was. Tell him to tell his lawyer to read R.S. 15:571.3; that law (I'm only pasting the part that pertains to you, it's kind of long) says, "Everyone shall be entitled to good time except" and it lists all the exceptions. It seems to me that if this is his first offence he will get goodtime, but if it's his second offence he will not. Here it is.

4) The inmate has been convicted two or more times under the laws of this state, any other state, or the federal government of any one or more of the following crimes or attempts to commit any of the following crimes:

(a) Carnal knowledge of a juvenile.

(b) Indecent behavior with juveniles.

(c) Molestation of a juvenile.

(d) Incest.

(e) Aggravated incest.

(5) The trial court, in its discretion, prohibits the earning of such diminution of sentence for any person convicted of a violation of R.S. 14:40.2.

So if this is his first offence then he gets good time, that's how it sounds to me anyway. I cut off the top part because it was too long but you can look it up yourself and print it out if you want to, maybe send it to him and let him read it or show it to his lawyer.

My husband isn't at Hunt anymore, he's at Angola now.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Good Time

Kathy thanks so much for your post. They are very informtive. Bit of good news we got him a new lawyer today and she seems to know more than this other guy did. She told us she would research it but it looks like it he might have to serve 85% of his sentence which was really harsh for a first time offender. He got seven years and never has been in any trouble with the law. So we are appealing the sentence, where we live it is real politcal.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Thanks again

Kathy I just wanted to wish you luck with your husband. I hope he is doing ok at Angola. I hope he gets to return to you real soon. Again thank you it is nice to talk to other people who have similar problems. Although I can't imagine what you are going through, I see my nephew's wife stuggling really hard to keep things together for the kids. But she believes in him and she has been real supportive. I keep telling her she needs to go to this forum where there is support for her. Hopefully things will work out for you and for her. I will keep you and your family in my prays.

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2003, 09:25 AM

Hi,

My son is in Hunt's also. He has been there for over 2 years. Immediate family can visit any Saturday or Sunday before they're approved by DOC. If he is still being processed, he will be in the "Beaver" section. His wife may want to wait before taking any children to visit him until he's been processed and moved to a regular dorm. In Beaver, he would be shackled during visitation. The best thing for her to do is to call Hunts for any information she needs. I've found them very helpful, especially the people who run visitations. If you have any other questions about Hunts, feel free to email me. We visit there every 2 weeks.