Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Louisiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-16-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Visitation at Angola

I'll be in Louisiana this July to visit a friend incarcerated in Angola. He's in Camp C. I've never visited in a prison anywhere before. I'm on his list and have received the rule list, but would like to hear from someone who has gone through the procedure. Where does the visit take place? If inside, is it air conditioned? Is it noisy? Are the guards intrusive? What should I be careful not to do? I've heard stories of visitors testing false positive on drug scanners. Is this equipment used at Angola? What about clothing and searches? What should I expect?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosacaridad
I'll be in Louisiana this July to visit a friend incarcerated in Angola. He's in Camp C. I've never visited in a prison anywhere before. I'm on his list and have received the rule list, but would like to hear from someone who has gone through the procedure. Where does the visit take place? If inside, is it air conditioned? Is it noisy? Are the guards intrusive? What should I be careful not to do? I've heard stories of visitors testing false positive on drug scanners. Is this equipment used at Angola? What about clothing and searches? What should I expect?

It's been a few years since I've visited at Angola, but back then (about 4 years ago) it was pretty much like this, be very careful what you wear, I always brought an extra set of clothes in case they said I couldn't wear what I had on. The rules seemed to change depending on who was working that day. But back then you park at the gate and then go stand in line to be checked in, sometimes they had guards with dogs out there and they would search your car (randomly) when you pull in so be sure you don't have any alcohol or anything that could be construed as a weapon. Then you get checked in and they pat search you and you go through the metal detector, then you wait on the other side of the checkpoint for your bus, different buses go to different camps so just look for the bus that says camp C. This process can take between 1-2 hours. Then you go to the camp and wait there again for the inmate to get there. As far as the guards being intrusive, it just depended on who was working. It was air conditioned in there and you can buy food and snacks, in some camps they had a cafeteria set up where you can get hot food, but like I said that was 4 years ago. My husband is now back in Angola but I haven't been able to visit him for almost a year now, but I got a letter from him yesterday saying 2 people were killed last in the prison last month, and one guy was stabbed in camp C last week but didn't die. It sure is pretty scary, have you heard anything about that? Anyway back to the visiting, I've visited my husband in prisons all over LA and in my opinion the visiting at Angola was the best but like I said that's been 4 years ago.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound too horrible. Will dress down but try not to be dowdy. Heard about the two killings in Camp D, one of which was by stabbing, but know nothing about any incident in Camp C. Cain did a huge shakedown for weapons that came up with nothing. It seems at least I don't have to worry about false positive on a drug scanner. What about jewelry - do they limit what one can wear? Someone told me open-toed shoes aren't permitted, but that's not mentioned in the rules. Like the idea of a change of clothing just in case.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosacaridad
Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound too horrible. Will dress down but try not to be dowdy. Heard about the two killings in Camp D, one of which was by stabbing, but know nothing about any incident in Camp C. Cain did a huge shakedown for weapons that came up with nothing. It seems at least I don't have to worry about false positive on a drug scanner. What about jewelry - do they limit what one can wear? Someone told me open-toed shoes aren't permitted, but that's not mentioned in the rules. Like the idea of a change of clothing just in case.
I don't remember about jewlery, but I know there were no drug scanners back then, but like I said it's been a few years. I don't remember about the shoes either, but I'd bring a change of shoes too just in case. I remember some people being turned down because of the color of the clothes, (grey or a certain shade of blue), because a skirt was too short, or because something was too sheer, or too low cut top, I've even seen people be turned away because the clothes were too tight. And I've seen them let other people in, on the same day, wearing the same thing, in other words they seemed to pick and choose sometimes, that's why I'd always bring something extra, it's a good 20 minutes to St Fracisville to get something else to wear if they don't let you in.