Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Connecticut prison and criminal justice systems.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 15,300 Times in 3,764 Posts
Default CT Good Time Credit - An Update

Hi everyone,

It is with regret that I share some bad news with you all. I have learned through an executive at the DOC that the good time credit reinstatement is more than likely not going to occur at this time in the State of Connecticut. The recommendation that you may have seen on the Legislative Branch website (also posted here) was not a bill, it was simply an idea that was suggested to the Governor to mitigate some of the debt that the State is faced with. In order for the earned credit to come back into effect there must be a bill to change the law, and despite the appearance - no such bill has existed. It would be very unlikely that a Republican Governor would allow such a bill to be passed, Governor Rell has built a platform that is very tough on crime and on criminals - I wish it were not true but as long as a Republican Governor hold this office, the chances of something like this happening are very slim.

I want to say though that it would be a shame to lose hope. Remember, the Government is here to act on behalf of their constituents - Keep calling your representative, keep asking and fighting for what you believe is right. Just because it's not on the table today doesn't mean it can never be on the table again. Stranger things have happened.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, it is however better to know the facts.

If anyone would like the name of the person within the DOC that confirmed this information for me, please PM me. He is willing to speak to the loved ones of inmates to confirm that this is not a matter up for current discussion but I don't want to put his information out there in a very public manner.

Take care everyone and please, don't lose hope.
DVNESSA68 (10-17-2009), Robsladykat (10-05-2009), sadinct (10-16-2009), Will'sWife4Life (05-09-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Get A Progressive Democratic in there. That is the only way you get reform. Someone who will say no to the DAs and can lecture them on why it make logical sense to reinistate good-time.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 PM

question what about the re-entry furlow? just thought maybe you'd know?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 15,300 Times in 3,764 Posts

Furloughs, in some circumstances, have always been available. Take a look at the below link - it should give you all the information you need

http://www.ct.gov/doc/LIB/doc/PDF/AD/ad0908.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by a203mom View Post
question what about the re-entry furlow? just thought maybe you'd know?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Wink Propose a solution

I wasn't going to get involved with this, but I am a "conservative" but also, I too have a wife who is currently serving time at York, who broke the law. Let me state for the record-I absolutely love and miss my wife and want her home as soon as I could get her here! But, we have laws and violators should be punished for their actions. "If you can't afford the the time..." I feel much the same as some of you, I want my loved one back home, but she must be held accountable for her actions. Please do not take me as an ogre, but without punishment there is no correction of behavior. We see this in children. My wife is having a very difficult time adjusting to the prison life. My wife was a middle-class working mother of two teen girls and a step-mother of 2 teen boys. She lost her government job, her licenses, her freedoms; she is paying dearly for her actions. But, I love her despite her failures- I really do! You are not here in my home as I break down crying in the evening or enduring the frustration of the phone service or not being able to find someone within our families that does not have Comcast as a phone service (I've been told they block collect calls).

Crisco, I must differ with you on the need of “progressives” in office. What we need is to be able to present to our legislators a fair plan to consider that would show good faith to the need for justice, but also the realization of the transforming power the prison system can have on “some”.

Strike three! And you’re out, should not be the end of it, but to give that individual the same opportunity as the first time offender is not the answer either. You, as a group of long term sentence family members, should consider postulating that bill for your legislator and present it to them.

Consider these, if you are so inclined to move our system of government and to call and/or write your legislator.

May God bless you and keep you as you endure the road before you.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Being "tough on crime" is not the legislator or the governors role... they are not lawyers or judges, they do not understand that mandatory minimums seriously overlook the persons character, as well as motive... If you want to do something really constructive, tell your legislators you don't want mandatory minimums (which puts everyone in prison on an equal basis)... Let the judges have discretion as they should have in determining individual sentencings for the individual... that's the American way, concern for the individual...and as far as prison "rehabilitating" someone... to say that means that you have no clue of the abuse that comes from a bid in prison... this is not a matter of "can't do the time, don't do the crime" cliche...it's one thing to have your freedom restricted... it's quite another to be abused by other inmates and correction officers alike... that amounts to a distinct kind of torture that no human being deserves... no wonder there is so little respect for life in the world at large...our society praises disrespect and jokes about inmates as if they were not human at all...until we take away the "power" from legislators, we all could be next in line for a prison bid... think about it...how would you do in todays prison? Election time is around the corner...
The Following User Says Thank You to mikesgyrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 AM

i could not agree with you more! my problem does not lie with the fact that my man is in prison. he did what he did and he knew it was wrong, this is the consequence. my problem is with the treatment he and every other inmate recieves once they enter the prison system and once they leave it. the fact is that gov. rell has built a platform on being "tough" on crime. that also means being tough on prisoners. she is not going to pass or even listen to anything that could possibly be seen as leniency with inmates.
The Following User Says Thank You to siscoswifey For This Useful Post:
mikesgyrl (09-22-2010)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
!New To This!

We now have a Democratic Governor so maybe things can possibly change in the near future?

He tells me he loves me, that I need to be strong for our baby and ourselves. He tells me it'll get better, that it's hard for him too, and we'll be together soon. He tells me what I need to hear to get by each day, and still I cry.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Maybe...

...but I wouldn't count on it. Remember that it is the legislature that passes the laws and we've had a Democratic controlled legislature for about as long as I can remember. But - maybe the budget crunch will help. I don't have a lot of hope. In late 2009 we had the "dog-and-pony-show" come through our facility. It included then Commissioner Murphy and State Senator Williams. That was when the discussion about bringing back good time was hot and heavy. Williams told us that there had been a bill in committee, but it was tabled - meaning it never even got out to a vote. That in a committee controlled by Democrats.

BRRRRRRT!!

A failure is a man who has blundered, but is not able to cash in on the experience.
- Elbert Hubbard