Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of North Carolina.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Question How is Polk Prison, Butner NC

Hi, i was wondering if there is anyone or any family member that have been to Polk prison, in Butner NC in the past year or two. My son just got shipped there, and he was telling me how mean the guards there was. I wanted to see how i can request for him to go somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 05:18 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanatworship View Post
Hi, i was wondering if there is anyone or any family member that have been to Polk prison, in Butner NC in the past year or two. My son just got shipped there, and he was telling me how mean the guards there was. I wanted to see how i can request for him to go somewhere else.
Hello womanatworship,
From what I read on the NC DOC website.....your son has to submit a request of relocation directly to his caseworker. My son has been at Polk for 4 weeks now. And the understanding I got from him just in the short 10 min. calls we have exchanged.....it ain't no gravy train. It is what it is and everything that is to be expected from prison. From your mean azz CO's to your thieving cellmates.....he has now seen it all. At first.........I was extremely concerned about him going to this prison. Then I thought about the years I spent raising him and bending over backwards to shelter him from the pull of the streets and all its trappings. My son ignored my warnings and chose to associate himself with folks who had no direction and hope. So going to county jail and then to prison was just the consequences of his own actions. Hopefully...this experience will deter him from committing crime and people who mean him no good. See.....that's the thing here.....we as parent's can no longer rescue them once they get in the hands of law enforcement. At this point.....we can only support them from afar. They are on their own however immature they still may be.......it is left up to them to keep themselves in check. If they go to prison and don't reflect on what got them there in the first place.....all they will do is get caught up with the same type of people and situations that could prolong their stay. So the other part of the answer to your question is....your son should steer clear of anyone and anything that could hinder him. Him being able to leave there depends entirely upon his own actions. Make sure in your letters to him and your calls that you express the importance of this. This is what my son has done during his time there and he will be getting transferred sometime in the next week. Hope everything works out for your son too.
2021 (04-13-2009), Khalilsmom (07-19-2017), laydlyke (04-14-2009), roysprincess (11-14-2010)
Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
My nephew and one of my daughters best friends just shipped from there in the last 2 mos. Both of them did very well there. They both got into school and programs there. That kept them busy and out of trouble. If they get into the wrong crowd, and show out, they will have trouble there cause the CO's don't play.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 AM
No Longer His Prisoner

Very well said Momknowsbest!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Default How is Polk in Butner, NC

Quote:
Hi Womanatworship: I am new to PTO and sure how all this works. My son was sent to Polk about a month ago and was just transferred to Tabor CI. The couple of times I was able to speak with him on the phone, he said the same thing about the CO's. I too would like to see if he could request a transfer since he is so far from home. I don't know if you have had the privilege of speaking with anyone at Polk but I promise they too are not pleasant. Not once was I able to get an answer from anyone. I always ended up in tears before hanging up. What's so bad about my son being in prison is our attorney's office continuously reminded us that our son would not be sent to prison and guess what? He's in prison. We were not prepared for his sentence at all. God Bless!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM

My Son is still in processing at Polk about to come out, but sat in Wake County Safety Center for 9 mos awaiting his sentence...Everything we have heard is not very encouraging and very bad...the chaplin at Polk even endorsed our concerns and confirmed the negative things we have heard about Polk.....Let's face it..these people are the same people that work for the state that we see on the street....4 people watching one person dig the ditch..the same hods true for the people working within the DOC......We truly are handcuffed like our children or loved ones and they own them until they are released....

I would echo what Mom Knows Best says.....they will have to survive and not much we can do...I have fought the system and went up the power chain and found that if i continued to "rattle the cage" it would be taken out on my son....even my lawyer, a powerful one, told me I should back off...very frustrating system....My son is involved in the church and looks forward to the classes and work...the busier you are , the better it will be and less likely to get into some trouble....and boy is there trouble...just be prepared...they make alcohol out of orange juice , drugs get in ( i hear through corrupt guards that don't make much), they heist you for your canteen money ( do not put a lot in), an gang members tr to start stuff...your son/loved one has to just walk away and associate themselves with all the things that tell people in there they are not a criminal....we cannot convey that for them.....I have to say that I hae zero confidence in the DOC and evryone has told me that the DOC is on of the worse run, incompetent organizations in NC...

My question for others is the minimum sentence deal...can they get anytime reduced off thier minimum sentence? if so what does it..it seems like nothing can reduce the minimum sentence....

Last edited by mkbex; 08-17-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Old 08-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Under Structured Sentencing you must serve 100% of the Minimum sentence so there is nothing you can do to go below it. You go in serving the Max and work your way down to the min but you cannot go below the min. That's why you see people serving more active time in NC prisons with shorter sentences because they have to serve the full min time they are given which is different from the way the Fair Sentencing Act use to be. Hope this helps...I have researched tons of stuff since my husband was sent to DOC in May. Never thought I would have to ever learn any of this but knowledge is power so I want to figure out all I can!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Are ya'll talking Federal or not? My bf is in Butner BUT he is at Polk Correctional Institute! (He is 19)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 PM

I believe they are talking about the facility your son is located in and not federal.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:29 PM

Oh my God, I have the same feelings as you. My son's attorney completly dropped the ball, she did nothing to defend my son, she didn't get no witness, she claimed she had an investigator, who did nothing and said nothing, and she told us, they had no evidence on my son, there were witness that identified someone else as taking a bookbag from some guy and we were told don't worry, you will not be convicted. Being a mom I'm concerned and I asked the question...what is the worse case senerio, we were told probation for guilt by association. And again we were told don't worry, so when my son was given 13-16 months, I was so unprepared, I was shocked, I was so upset, I cried and cried, could not believe what had happened. And to make matters worse the attorney avoided my calls for a month and a half. She didn't tell us that we could appeal and that we had to do it within 10 days, so I have had to go through unnecessary things just to get my sons rights reinstated, we are now working on the appeal, but it is a very long process.
To speak on Polk, my son was there for evaluation, he was there for about 2-3 weeks. He said it is crazy. It's like the gladiators. It is best to keep to yourself. He kept to himself and that way he stayed out of trouble, cause people try to get you to be on their sides. He said you just have to remember you are not there to make friends or to get people to like you, so stay to yourself. Give your son that advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightn4u View Post
Hi Womanatworship: I am new to PTO and sure how all this works. My son was sent to Polk about a month ago and was just transferred to Tabor CI. The couple of times I was able to speak with him on the phone, he said the same thing about the CO's. I too would like to see if he could request a transfer since he is so far from home. I don't know if you have had the privilege of speaking with anyone at Polk but I promise they too are not pleasant. Not once was I able to get an answer from anyone. I always ended up in tears before hanging up. What's so bad about my son being in prison is our attorney's office continuously reminded us that our son would not be sent to prison and guess what? He's in prison. We were not prepared for his sentence at all. God Bless!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Tell your son to keep to himself, he is not there to make friends or to get people to like him. That is how he stays out of trouble. My son was there and he said it is crazy, you have to be like a gladiator, but if you stay to yourself, you'll be okay. My son was transfered after a few weeks. Your son has to remain neutral. That is the best advice you can give him.
The minium sentence is the time they have to do. They can work off the maxium sentence, down to the minium but no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbex View Post
My Son is still in processing at Polk about to come out, but sat in Wake County Safety Center for 9 mos awaiting his sentence...Everything we have heard is not very encouraging and very bad...the chaplin at Polk even endorsed our concerns and confirmed the negative things we have heard about Polk.....Let's face it..these people are the same people that work for the state that we see on the street....4 people watching one person dig the ditch..the same hods true for the people working within the DOC......We truly are handcuffed like our children or loved ones and they own them until they are released....

I would echo what Mom Knows Best says.....they will have to survive and not much we can do...I have fought the system and went up the power chain and found that if i continued to "rattle the cage" it would be taken out on my son....even my lawyer, a powerful one, told me I should back off...very frustrating system....My son is involved in the church and looks forward to the classes and work...the busier you are , the better it will be and less likely to get into some trouble....and boy is there trouble...just be prepared...they make alcohol out of orange juice , drugs get in ( i hear through corrupt guards that don't make much), they heist you for your canteen money ( do not put a lot in), an gang members tr to start stuff...your son/loved one has to just walk away and associate themselves with all the things that tell people in there they are not a criminal....we cannot convey that for them.....I have to say that I hae zero confidence in the DOC and evryone has told me that the DOC is on of the worse run, incompetent organizations in NC...

My question for others is the minimum sentence deal...can they get anytime reduced off thier minimum sentence? if so what does it..it seems like nothing can reduce the minimum sentence....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:45 PM

that must be a horrible place, hope my friend doesnt go there.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM

When I was incarcerated in the system, every inmate that had been there when we'd talk about would call it "Gladiator school" or "Gladiator camp". Fuck that place, I'm facing 8-10 months there and I really hope I don't go to that camp.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:17 PM

i was in polk last year for a full year, i kno everything about that place, just ask me for help
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Default POLK is Hell on earth

My son has been at Polk for about 6 weeks. Today, when I called to make a visitation appointment for the next week out - the guard taking calls informed me that my son was in segregation. He did not know why, but that he would be unable to have visits and had to cancel not only this upcoming weekend, but the next as well. I contacted his new case manager (3rd one in 6 weeks) and she said that she was not able to discuss why he is in admin. segreation with pending investigation. I knew something was wrong with him when I saw him two days ago at our Saturday visit. He was quiet and withdrawn, wouldn't make eye contact and when I asked him if something was going on he said, "nothing I can't handle". Later on he said that he had seen someone in his dorm get beat with a lock in a pillowcase. He usually calls at least once a day to make me, the mom, feel better. Last week he did not call once. All warning signs. After speaking with his CM, she said she would go talk with him and see what happened. He was beat up by a guy much bigger than him that wanted his canteen card. This prisoner has been bullying my son for over a week and finally when he said, "You are not getting my card" the guy threw him in a cell and beat the hell out of him, another guy joined in. He was taken to the infirmary and has a terrible black eye. He said it was from "playing basketball" and they said they don't believe him, and he said well - just look at the tapes, that is all i can say. When my son wouldn't snitch on whomever was involved (because of backlash) he was being sent to the worst dorm on the whole place - he said, "I will get killed in there. just send me to segration if that is where you are putting me" so there he ended up. My advice to parents is to learn quickly that you have absolutely no control over his life anymore. He is at the mercy of people that work in a system and do not care if it is right or wrong. It is a paycheck. Write them letters, as much as you can. Put a little money on their canteen card - but not too much.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 PM

This makes me iffy. My fiance is about to get sent here. I keep hearing good and bad things and I just don't know what to believe. I am under the impression that if you just mind your business and do not bother anyone and follow the rules, that you'll be just fine, but that scares me half to death. WHERE ARE THE GUARDS?? I know that going to a jail or prison can either make you or break you and I am afraid that once he gets out, he will be a completely different person & not in a good way :/ terrible.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Oh my gosh this is terrifying. What's the best way to handle the canteen situation? Mail jpay $40 a week and tell him to try not to attract attention when spending?
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving_aunt View Post
Oh my gosh this is terrifying. What's the best way to handle the canteen situation? Mail jpay $40 a week and tell him to try not to attract attention when spending?
My boyfriend is there right now. He just arrived 2 days ago for processing and he absolutely hates it there. H e said its awful and the guards treat them like shit. He hasn't received his pin for the phone yet so he has to get someone else to make calls out on their account so we can talk. Hopefully they process him out quickly cause i heard that place is bad news. The worst and its been that way for a very long time.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm aware that this post is very old but someone may come to it for answers like I did. My boyfriend is there now and he's been there for a month and a few days. 5 days after he been there 7 dudes broke into his locker and stole my letters his stamps and toothpaste and tried to jump him. They put him in the hole for his protection I believe. That's what google told me anyway �� He just got out last Friday and called me and told me everything that happened. One of the inmates who stole his stuff had called me and told me lies. Never again will I put my number in his letter. All prisons are terrible if you ask me.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Hello my name is Shyrell i need your help
Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalilsmom View Post
Hello my name is Shyrell i need your help
Help on ?