Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release or community service in Wisconsin should be posted here.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 PM

Question Having trouble with letter

My boyfriend of a few years is going for the 75 percent(time served) for early release. He asked me to write a letter to the judge to help get the Early Release. I need help, advice, anything on how to write this letter or what to put it in. I've never had to do anything like this before! So any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2015, 07:42 PM

My situation was a bit different. I was asked to speak at my LO’s sentencing hearing. I received some guidelines from his attorney and I believe they would apply to your situation as well.

Don’t tell the judge what he should do – i.e. Don’t suggest he should grant your boyfriend an early release. Don’t suggest that your LO shouldn’t be expected to serve his full sentence. Instead, focus on explaining why your LO should receive early release consideration. Highlight the things he has done to change his behaviors while incarcerated. If he had employment, was providing for a family, participated in any volunteer or community programs, etc… prior to his incarceration make sure you mention those things.

When I spoke in court I took the opportunity to help the judge see that my LO was not defined by the charge filed against him. I made sure that the judge had a chance to hear about all of the things he had accomplished and how he lived his life. I did not want the judge’s opinion to be based solely on what was in the original criminal complaint and what the prosecutor communicated in their statement at the hearing. I explained that my LO took full responsibility for his actions, but that this one and only incident in no way defined him or the life he lead.

Basically avoid saying anything negative about the law, the sentence he received, the DA, etc... Focus on helping the Judge learn what kind of person your LO is and why he should consider granting him early release.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to onestepcloser For This Useful Post:
TheMiracleWorker (10-14-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:12 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,864 Times in 7,617 Posts

Tell the judge who you are and why your voice is relevant - you are so and so, residing at such and such a place (inside the jurisdiction), and you been there long enough for it to be anything other than trivial (you've been at the same addy for x years, own the property or are a wonderful tenant, et). You are relevant because you know the inmate - how long, in what capacity.

From there, you get into how you currently support your lo as he completes his sentence, and the supports you can offer him when he's out - a place to live, a place to get food, stay clean, somebody who can help with meds, get to po appointments, or whatever you're already prepared to do with your lo to support him in his transition outside.

You will want to address the crime itself, demonstrating that you know what he did, that he takes responsibility for his crimes.

Do not argue about guilt or innocence, or the harshness of the sentence. This is all about getting him out, what he means to you on the outside, what you are going to do together on the outside to make sure he stays out and completes any time on supervision successfully.

Remember one of the biggest elements to a successful probation/parole is to have family support. It's still a bitch of a letter to write, but...