Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,691 Times in 15,324 Posts

Going to assume that you will likely be on supervision.

Pretty sure you will be on GPS. Unit will have to be charged 2xs a day for 1 hr each time. The units are not comfortable but not too terrible. My hub used to wear his socks over it so it wouldnt slip and bang into his ankle.

The hard part will come with you very possibly not being allowed around minor children, but you will probably have to wait until you hit the probation office.
Internet use may also be either not allowed or allowed with monitoring.
If alcohol was in anyway part of your crime (or you have had anything in the past like a dui or whatever) then you will have to not drink at all. Pee tests, group therapy sessions, no association with any felons (unless its in the counseling sessions)

Residency is going to be a hurdle to make. My hubs conditions were 2000 feet from a park or school, day care or place where children gather. (its the last part that is a bit convoluted)
Now I understand they have relaxed the conditions a bit due to some cities being totally off limits. Thats a problem for a place like San Francisco since its a county AND city. Parks, schools everyplace.

No parks either. It was somewhat of a gray area for my hub. And because of the many many parole agents he had (they kept changing them on him) Parks were not clear. What is a park. Well the obvious ones with childrens play equipment but what about beaches? Some say State beach, others say State park.?? What about open space?

Travel restrictions likely as well. Hub had a 50 mile radius from his *home base*
If he was homeless they used the local police dept as his *home* and figured the distance from there. Homeless brings a whole other load of crap too. You have to register more often I think its monthly. I think the meetings at the probation/parole office increase as well. Oh and the real kicker? If homeless he could not be in any one place longer than 2 hrs. So he had to keep moving it along. (does not apply to overnights tho...... so kind of them) So to get around this hub would spend alot of time in places like shopping centers that had multiple addresses.
That was difficult to say the least.

not saying this to scare you. Just trying to prepare you a bit for whats after jail/prison.
Once you are finished with the supervision part you simply have to register in the location you live in. Sometimes you will need an appt, other times its drop in.
You register within 10 days of your birthday, and any time you change residency. Need to notify both the place youre moving from and the one you are moving to.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-30-2019), Rc3000 (07-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Donation Award 

I know there was something else I was going to add but for the life of me it slipped my mind.
A few more things....compliance checks. Usually just a pop in without you having prior knowledge they are coming. After parole/probation local LE will still do them but you wont have to open the door. They say they are just making sure you live there. And those are usually once a yr. On supervision they are whenever the parole/probation officer feels like it and they can come in the house, or check you car anytime they want to.
Also ANY police contact needs to be reported with whomever is supervising you.
So if you get pulled over, report that contact to the probation officer.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-30-2019), Rc3000 (07-03-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,053 Times in 12,736 Posts

I agree that restrictions, parole/probation/SO registry, are often specific to the PO or Deputy who is making the determination. Since they decide if you have violations, etc., it is urgent that you satisfy the whims of the PO of the day, week or month. That's not easy when you are subjected to frequent changes in supervision, but it is still 100% your responsibility.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:07 PM

If anyone can point me in the right direction for employment resources for felons, that would be great. I have 1 week and 3 days before I report and am trying to make sure when I get out the PO has no reasons to place heavy restrictions on me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Donation Award 

Its difficult for sure to find employment after a felony conviction. And guessing any employment you do get, will have to be approved by your parole/probation person.
It took my hub about a yr before he was able to find work, and the work was not easy.
(vineyard work)
He tried those agency type places but never got any chance there.
He found the best way was to look online for ads for local people looking to hire and went from there.
He ended up doing ok. He's driving a commercial truck locally now. He also drove a charter bus (that boss was great with him, was aware of his status, and worked around it with the no minors restriction by only having him drive adults)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Its difficult for sure to find employment after a felony conviction. And guessing any employment you do get, will have to be approved by your parole/probation person.
It took my hub about a yr before he was able to find work, and the work was not easy.
(vineyard work)
He tried those agency type places but never got any chance there.
He found the best way was to look online for ads for local people looking to hire and went from there.
He ended up doing ok. He's driving a commercial truck locally now. He also drove a charter bus (that boss was great with him, was aware of his status, and worked around it with the no minors restriction by only having him drive adults)
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I figured I'd do well going with online to Craigslist or such sites to find work until I find work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (Yesterday)