Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:34 AM

Default What is the point system?

Hi. I have been reading a lot of posts that mention that " they were out of points" referring to their family member serving time. What does that mean?
And also, how do they get the "points" that decide what type or level of prison they are assigned too?
Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2003, 10:15 AM

Hi Tessa,

There are 3 kinds of points, two of them count towards the security level of the prisoner, which dictates the custody level and the type of prison, max, med, etc. The other kind is for visitation purposes. Some of the Fed prisons give x number of points each month, to each prisoner, to be used for visits. For example, my husband gets 8 points a month. Visits are only on Fri, Sat, and Sun. Fri counts as 1 pt, Sat & Sun count as 2. Since I have to work fridays, I go once every weekend, thus using 2 pts a week and being able to go 4 x a month. When a month has 5 weekends, we have to miss one.

When we were in Terre Haute, they did not use points. Each man got 7 visits per month, and the day you went did not matter. We lost some visits here, but he gets more outside time and he really needed that.

The points for scoring security level start with the Pre Sentence report. They add points up for lots of different things, including the current charge and past criminal history. They also subtract points for things like acceptance of responsibility. After they figure all the points out, there is a chart that tells them what custody level that person needs to be in. Once inside, they periodically review each prisoner's file to see if their points have come down, (or gone up), and whether or not that person qualifies for a transfer. There's a lot to this point system, but that's the general gist.

When you hear most people talking about running out of points, I'm sure it is referring to the visitation points. If the prisoner ran out of the other kind, well then they need to send him home

Maybe your loved one inside will send you a copy of one of their next evaluations, so you can see the institutional use of the points. Hope you find this helpful. Have a great day!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:19 PM

Thanks Mrs LMW fo rthe info.
My son is awaiting sentencing so I am gathering as much info as I can for him as well as for us to assist us in understanding the federal prison system better. I guess it makes me feel better learning more about the unknown and trying to prepare for the inevitable. Thanks again. I'm sure I will have more questions as I read more posts and other research material. Tessa