Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Nevada that do not fit into any other Nevada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Location: kern county california soon to be washoe county ,nevada
Default Any information would be great information!

Hello everyone .
I have a question and i cant find any answers.
long story made short:My husband is at Parr in Reno being held on felony theft.He has a court date for the 21st of this month.I am in Cali,looking to move to Reno.He will be pleading gulity...that the long made short.

My qusetions I guess is how i should put it.
his bail was 2500$ does this make it a class c or b felony?
And is there any way I can find out how long the jail or prison term can be for this crime?
I cant get any answers from any body in Reno.Am new at this and am scared to be honest.We have been married 14 yrs and this is the frist time i dont know what is going on our lives.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Rollercoaster Ride

Default Nevada Revised Statutes

Here is the NRS for punishment for felonies in this state. Keep in mind that the Judge has the authority to reduce the severity of the charge if he chooses.

NRS 193.130 Categories and punishment of felonies.

1. Except when a person is convicted of a category A felony, and except as otherwise provided by specific statute, a person convicted of a felony shall be sentenced to a minimum term and a maximum term of imprisonment which must be within the limits prescribed by the applicable statute, unless the statute in force at the time of commission of the felony prescribed a different penalty. The minimum term of imprisonment that may be imposed must not exceed 40 percent of the maximum term imposed.

2. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, for each felony committed on or after July 1, 1995:

(a) A category A felony is a felony for which a sentence of death or imprisonment in the state prison for life with or without the possibility of parole may be imposed, as provided by specific statute.

(b) A category B felony is a felony for which the minimum term of imprisonment in the state prison that may be imposed is not less than 1 year and the maximum term of imprisonment that may be imposed is not more than 20 years, as provided by specific statute.

(c) A category C felony is a felony for which a court shall sentence a convicted person to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 5 years. In addition to any other penalty, the court may impose a fine of not more than $10,000, unless a greater fine is authorized or required by statute.

(d) A category D felony is a felony for which a court shall sentence a convicted person to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 4 years. In addition to any other penalty, the court may impose a fine of not more than $5,000, unless a greater fine is authorized or required by statute.

(e) A category E felony is a felony for which a court shall sentence a convicted person to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 4 years. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of subsection 1 of NRS 176A.100, upon sentencing a person who is found guilty of a category E felony, the court shall suspend the execution of the sentence and grant probation to the person upon such conditions as the court deems appropriate. Such conditions of probation may include, but are not limited to, requiring the person to serve a term of confinement of not more than 1 year in the county jail. In addition to any other penalty, the court may impose a fine of not more than $5,000, unless a greater penalty is authorized or required by statute.

[1911 C&P § 18; RL § 6283; NCL § 9967]—(NRS A 1967, 458; 1995, 1167; 1997, 1177; 1999, 1186)