Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Salinas Valley State Prisons (SVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Salinas Valley State Prisons (SVSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to SVSP Salinas Valley State Prison located in Soledad, California.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Writing a letter to the warden regarding visitation denial

my mother in law wanted me to ask if anyone has had problems getting approved...she was told to write a letter to the warden...has anyone ever done this? and if so what was the outcome...her son(my fiance) has 3 years left and she's a wreck not being able to see him...if anyone has any suggestions about what to write to warden please let me know...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

What was the reason given for the denial? If it's because she's currently under supervision for a felony matter, she can try, but it's probably not happening... If it has to do with restraining orders, she'll need to petition the issuing court to have those orders vacated before she writes the warden... if it's because they feel she did not complete the form candidly, she needs to get all the information she can, order up her DOJ file, get the court minutes from any cases she's had, proof from the probation department that she completed any probation or community service, etc.

The letter should be neat, grammatically correct and worded in a rational, respectful way... Along the lines of "I realize that the policies are in place for a reason but this is why an exception should be made for me." not "This is unfair, you're mean" . I have not had to contact any wardens about my visiting status but I have written the warden over other matters and, every time, the person who responded commented on the thoughtful, reasonable manner in which I approached the problem.

Close the letter by thanking them for their time and attention, saying that you look forward to a reply and to resolving this matter, providing a mailing address, an e-mail address and a phone number. Make it easy to reply. A Lieutenant at San Quentin told me once that he was frustrated and surprised by the number of people who write to whom he CAN'T respond because they did not provide contact information in their letter and the return address on the envelope was illegible, damaged or the envelope itself was missing.

Good luck

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.

Last edited by LeBeau; 09-22-2006 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM

thank you for the information...