Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Default Food Visits in Arizona: What can we take? What should I expect?

My SO wants me to go visit him for a food visit but what can we take? What should I expect?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 PM
here

https://corrections.az.gov/sites/def...n_policy_2.pdf
That has all the rules for it.

The cliff notes:
No bones, no styrofoam, no knives, no cores/pits/cobs, no drinks, no metal (we had a ketchup packet set the wand off once)
No reusable ice packs, only one bag of ice
Everything needs to be precut (including meats, fruits, veggies, burritos, bread, etc)
Everything needs to be in see through containers (plastic, or bags)

Expect a long wait to get in. Every item is wanded, so it all takes longer. We usually have an hour to an hour and a half just to clear security.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylph For This Useful Post:
SadSurprised (05-04-2019), Sarianna (04-26-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 PM

There is a section that addresses it on prison site or in handbook. Meat needs to be shredded or in individual servings. No glass and all containers clear. There's a limit on the size of the cooler, 28 qt. I think. If you use ice, it must be in an unopened bag. Things like pie, etc needs to be cut into individual servings. I think they want beverages purchased from vending. This is what I remember. Basically, they want to be able to easily see and check what you are taking in
The Following User Says Thank You to jms462001 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,645 Times in 630 Posts

The cooler is 36 quart. 2 of the 3 over the past 6 years have not permitted any cooler with wheels - so best to avoid them. Bring your own paper plates and forks, spoons.

Plastic baggies work better than containers for a lot of things - and easier to inspect. At Kingman and Tucson they never actually wanded the food individually, but they visually inspect and if a sauce or dish in a container, they use a spoon and stir it to inspect for any oddities. Cupcakes, donuts, muffins, need to be cut in half. Kingman, The cooler then had to be taken through the metal detector.

Nothing can be in the original bottles - catsup, salsa, soy sauce, salad dressing - you need to take it out of the jar and put it in a container.

NO BEVERAGES - I bring a lot of cut up lemons (all fruit needs to be cut up) and lots of packages of sugar. (Sugar, salt, pepper, all have to be individual packets too.) The rules allow for you to bring paper cups similar to what is in vending machines. I fill them with water from vending or fountain, squeeze in a lot of lemons, add sugar and have real lemonade. A lot of work to do it in the prison but a couple of times a year, I do it.

Each prison seems to have their own thing on how they schedule the food visits. Make sure you know what day his is. They spread them out generally over 4 days on two weekends and you cannot visit on the days where others are having food visits. It is usually posted as a document on the prison unit's website. Phase, last name or DOC number is usually what they schedule them by.

Go to DO 911 and be sure to read pages 32 and 33.

Last edited by lizlizzie2; 04-26-2019 at 06:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
SadSurprised (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:03 PM

Would you recommend to arrive 1 hour prior to the scheduled appointment? Also, is salmon ok? I think it has very fine bones or no bones. I am planning to make a quiche but cut it into slices.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,645 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSurprised View Post
Would you recommend to arrive 1 hour prior to the scheduled appointment? Also, is salmon ok? I think it has very fine bones or no bones. I am planning to make a quiche but cut it into slices.
I think salmon should be ok. I am picturing filets, but remember everything has to be cut into chunks.

It really depends on the prison, as to what time to get there. When I was going to Cerbat, Kingman - the cars started lining up outside the gate more than an hour early. I would get there at 6:45 and there would be 10 to 15 cars ahead of me. But, that has been over a year ago. The line never moved quickly there, though they tried various ways to process us in.

Whetstone, Tucson - I have only done 1 food visit. That line moved pretty quickly. They don't unlock the gate until 8, so I only got there about 15 minutes early. I was sitting down in visitation within 30 minutes of them opening the gate.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
SadSurprised (05-05-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM

Ok, thanks! We have a scheduled time our LO had to sign up for. I wonder if that alleviates the traffic problems? I’m hoping for it to go smoothly because it will build the family’s confidence. They have had discouraging experiences, which I understand are to be expected, and it increases their stress.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:28 PM

SadSurprised, when is your food visit appt? My husband is also at CACF. This is our first food visit
Old 05-05-2019, 04:19 AM

I went to the visit earlier today around 2. For that facility there is no need to go early. In fact, they don’t allow you to check in until 15 minutes before the appointment time. The security clearance was fast. It took about 20 minutes total to get in and sit down. I think every facility is different though. It was smooth. They schedule them so there is no need to compete for parking or tables. I was able to park right in front of the entrance and walk up with my soft cooler.

If you follow the rules then it’s really easy! I think we have another one next month.