Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 PM

Question Can they deny parole for the same reasons as previous denial?

My bf just got denied again. He said that sometime in 2017 TJDC informed inmates that their were new rules that said parole board can no longer deny your parole for the same reasons as before. Has anyone heard of this? Is it true?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 AM

I am also anxious to hear the answer to this question. My brother has been denied 5 times on the same reasons. Thanks for asking about this. James usually hears all of those rumors and passes them on to us, but he hasn't mentioned this.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,248 Times in 1,344 Posts

That's a yes and no answer. Yes, they've backdoored people with the same reasons 2-3 setoffs in row and no they're not supposed to do that. Some have filed on it in court and seen results. Others have not depending on how accurate they were with their contentious.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 AM

Thanked 3,752 Times in 1,165 Posts

That can’t be true. That wouldn’t make sense. It seems you would be able to be denied for the same reason indefinitely until that reason is resolved, no? Otherwise they’ll just make up new phrases that mean the same thing and use that reason instead.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:56 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
That can’t be true. That wouldn’t make sense. It seems you would be able to be denied for the same reason indefinitely until that reason is resolved, no? Otherwise they’ll just make up new phrases that mean the same thing and use that reason instead.
I was released from Ramsey l July of 2018 and I know of 2-3 men that complained about this issue with regard to the Angleton Board. I saw it repeatedly happen from 1999-2004 on the Neal unit up in the Panhandle involving the Amarillo Board. I know of a former board member back during that time who was given money to insure a favorable vote and needed leverage for someone to get out who otherwise would not have with his criminal history and the offense he was in prison for. He made parole his first time up and he said he would make it before his file was ever sent to the board.
I don't say these things to stir the pot or to throw rocks at the Parole Board. Some of them are decent enough people, some of them are haters and all of them are under pressure to maintain an indescribable indefinable form of integrity.
If you have $7000 or more for good parole attorney then you can POSSIBLY get things done that otherwise may not happen. That's not always case, though. And I'm somewhat off topic here, but overall I think Lynyrd Skynyrd said/sang it best to do in a song off their first album that goes something like this....HAVE YOU EVER LIVED DOWN IN THE GHETTO? HAVE YOU EVER FELT THAT COLD WIND BLOW? WELL, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I MEAN WON'T YOU STAND UP AND SCREAM, CAUSE THERE'S THINGS GOING ON THAT YOU DON'T KNOW.
Guccigrl (05-11-2019), Sarianna (05-12-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Ok so my boyfriend is right. He (my bf) already wrote to someone in TJDC about it and is waiting to hear back. I have also contacted a parole lawyer as I didn’t know all the ins and outs of parole. It’s definitely a flawed system but the whole prison system is. Thank you for sharing though. And I can relate very much to the lyric from Lynyrd Skynyrd. I grew up in the ghetto but got out a long time ago and have spent all my adult life trying to help kids get out as well so they don’t end up in the system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XNDI For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (05-13-2019), Sarianna (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,849 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
No, because a lot of the reasons aren’t resolvable. My husband was denied twice, the reasons being his criminal record, drug/alcohol involvement in the crime, and adjustment during previous parole periods. Can’t really resolve those, but if they can keep using them, he’d never make parole.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Just spoke to a parole lawyer and he said that they most certainly can deny you for the same reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to XNDI For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM

In the written denial do they tell him any advice, perhaps a program plan for home? Some letters of assurance from a reentry program?
Sometimes if they donr see someone with a solid release plan, they don't want to take that chance. They look for someone to have a plan, because releasing with no plan, no plan B, no groundwork can lead right back to the same place.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
In the written denial do they tell him any advice, perhaps a program plan for home? Some letters of assurance from a reentry program?
Sometimes if they donr see someone with a solid release plan, they don't want to take that chance. They look for someone to have a plan, because releasing with no plan, no plan B, no groundwork can lead right back to the same place.
No, there's no advice or anything other than the reasons listed. A board member on average will spend no more than a couple of minutes on a file up for review. The nature of the offense and the amount of flat time served on a sentence are what most of us have to be real about when it comes to parole. Your conduct record is something that never really benefits you, but it has the ability to hurt you with major cases and gang affiliation if those things occur. Approval ratings have not gone above the 30% since Bush was governor back in the mid 1990s. The Austin region is the exception to that because they vote on the majority of revocations(parole violations that go to a parole revocation hearing).
The last time I came up for parole 1 person voted against me and the other 2 voted for me and I was fortunate because of that and a very good parole attorney who looked out. If it weren't for her, I'd still be in there right now.
I've been an outspoken critic of parole attorneys in the past. I had a bad experience with one back in 2005 that was a straight up crook and for many years I've harbored serious resentment because of that. But I'm here to tell that the good ones who often times are$5000 or higher give you your money's worth.
It's a messy business.....once upon a time there were no parole attorneys and I CAN REMEMBER THAT TIME. Still....we live in a different world when it comes to all aspects of prison/parole than in the past. These little symbols ($$$$$$) are to do with it all.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 PM

They can absolutely use the same reason over and over and over if they want to. Parole is a privilege, not a right. They cant be forced to parole you once they run out of reasons. And there arent that many.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:30 AM

Thank you. I hired a parole lawyer and he’s not cheap...close to $5,000. I have spoken to him and am happy that they have already started working on creating a portfolio for my bf. I love him but don’t want to do another year of being apart. I am hopeful he will be paroled. This system is very messed up. �� We are blessed that I can afford to help but I know not everybody is able to provide a lawyer for their loved one and it really shouldn’t be that way.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNDI View Post
Thank you. I hired a parole lawyer and he’s not cheap...close to $5,000. I have spoken to him and am happy that they have already started working on creating a portfolio for my bf. I love him but don’t want to do another year of being apart. I am hopeful he will be paroled. This system is very messed up. �� We are blessed that I can afford to help but I know not everybody is able to provide a lawyer for their loved one and it really shouldn’t be that way.

What attorney did you hire?