Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:16 AM

Post Updated Links for Inmate Property-What can I send & how much can they have"

I had these in my bookmarks so I thought I would share them.
BUT i haven't posted 25 yet so LOL, I have to add the word space in there cuz I can't post URL's yet.

This is the main page:
SPACEhttpsSPACE://SPACEcorrections.az.SPACEgov/reports-documents/adc-policies/department-orders-index

(This PDF title is "Property" and seems to have same info but is new URL from previous thread.)

SPACEhttpsSPACE://SPACEcorrections.az.SPACEgov/sites/default/files/policies/900/0909_032519.SPACEpdf

1.3 Inmates eligible through the Earned Incentive Program (EIP), as outlined in Department Order
#809, Earned Incentive Program, are authorized to participate in the Secured Packaging Program. The program shall be conducted as follows:
1.3.1 All inmates are allowed to receive an additional $80 worth of Secured Packaging products, those offered in the program catalog.
1.3.2 The timeframe for the Secure Packaging Program shall coincide with the vendor’s calendar year and be based on the following frequency:
1.3.2.1 Phase III inmates are allowed one Secured Package per month.
1.3.2.2 Phase II inmates are allowed one Secured Package every other month.
1.3.2.3 Phase I inmates are allowed one Secured Package per quarter.
1.3.3 Each inmate may receive a Secured Package from an approved adult visitor on that individual inmate’s approved Visitation List. Products in a Secured Package must come directly from the vendor and must comply with the requirements for allowable and authorized property.
1.3.4 Inmates in Maximum Custody are not authorized to purchase food products requiring heating or warming prior to consumption. Maximum Custody food products in a Secured Package are to be readily consumable from the original container or package.

Last edited by kari dunn; 06-03-2019 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Needed to clarify
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Question What is OK to send in Mail besides letters?

Hi,
I'm so grateful I have a home to come to here and feel safe.

So when you are sending mail. He's Medium and I assume Phase 2.
(Remember I'm new, LOL)

1. I read some people are sending multiple envelopes and cards at a time? Does this mean you are using manilla envelopes? 9x12 or 10x12? I did read the no metal clasp. Does it matter if it's lick or press and seal?

2. What do you put in that ISN't considered art supplies beyond non-contraband, written or printed out Internet?

3. Can I print out crosswords, Mandela's other stuff he could?

4. Can I staple a piece of colored paper to a title page of a group of papers?

5. What would be considered an art supply, lol?

6. Is it ok for me to use colored pens? Gell pens? markers?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Details like these just aren't on the DO. I overthink too. LOL.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,125 Times in 3,040 Posts

HERE is the link to AZDOC policies

Mail etc falls under Section 914

Property is under 909
Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 PM

So I don't know about anyone else, I try to be ultra cautious. I may send multiple envelopes at the same time but each gets its own envelope/stamp, etc.
I print off books, articles, etc. to send him and send them a few pages at a time in each letter.
I send him crosswords, word search, we play tic-tac-toe and chess by mail.
I do not staple, paperclip, etc ANYTHING.
I do send pictures of everything from his family to flowers/places/things on the outside.
I don't use crayons or markers, I have used colored pens, I stay away from gel pens but that's just me.
But I'm new at this too. Hopefully, others are willing to share their experiences with us. Hope that helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari dunn View Post
Hi,

(Remember I'm new, LOL)

1. I read some people are sending multiple envelopes and cards at a time? Does this mean you are using manilla envelopes? 9x12 or 10x12? I did read the no metal clasp. Does it matter if it's lick or press and seal?

2. What do you put in that ISN't considered art supplies beyond non-contraband, written or printed out Internet?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Details like these just aren't on the DO. I overthink too. LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to forsaflower For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 AM

I use press and seal envelopes.
Pictures are 30 a month and only 5 at a time but I’ve honestly sent more than 30 in the month and he’s gotten them all.
Don’t send anything besides paper. No staples.
My man, in Yuma, said only black ink is accepted when I wrote him a letter in purple. I guess the staff had rewrote the letter for me cause he said it deff was not my hand writing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Thats really strange haha , that they would take the time to do that . Thats really nice but im so surprised they did that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoluv29 View Post
Pictures are 30 a month and only 5 at a time but Iíve honestly sent more than 30 in the month and heís gotten them all.
Donít send anything besides paper. No staples.
My man, in Yuma, said only black ink is accepted when I wrote him a letter in purple. I guess the staff had rewrote the letter for me cause he said it deff was not my hand writing.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Thats really strange haha , that they would take the time to do that . Thats really nice but im so surprised they did that
Right. I doubt anyone else usually does.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Pictures are 30 a month and only 5 at a time but Iíve honestly sent more than 30 in the month and heís gotten them all.
Pictures are 40 a month limit but yes they dont really enforce that rule. You can put all 40 in one envelope. As far as colored ink, that's news to me because I've written in all kinda for colors and mediums
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleysGirl For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 AM

Hello AZ fam. I have a question. I received ltr from my LO. they are saying that I will be getting a call from DOC for my phone and visit approval. well I got calls today while in the doctors office, but I ignored them and they did not leave a message. the calls were from NJ, back east. what area code or what should I expect coming through my phone for verification?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:53 AM

My stepdaughter is in Perryville. They called me 2 weeks ago with my phone approval. The area code was (623). If I remember correctly, the caller ID said something like AZ Government.

It took a week for them to tell my daughter she could call. So expect it to be a few days before you get a call from your LO.

The 2 collect calls I have received from my daughter say IC Solutions and are also (623) area code.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSAZ For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:22 AM

[QUOTE is the link to AZDOC policies

etc falls under Section 914

is under 909[/quote]

Thank you, I have read those. I'm actually just curious what others include to keep it interesting. And questions that I am not clear on. Such as art supplies are not allowed what constitutes "art supplies?" I couldn't find anywhere where it said the sizes of envelopes allowed, such as manilla envelopes. So thank you again for the links to the DO, but they just didn't answer all my questions
Old 06-15-2019, 06:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaflower View Post
So I don't know about anyone else, I try to be ultra cautious. I may send multiple envelopes at the same time but each gets its own envelope/stamp, etc.
I print off books, articles, etc. to send him and send them a few pages at a time in each letter.
I send him crosswords, word search, we play tic-tac-toe and chess by mail.
I do not staple, paperclip, etc ANYTHING.
I do send pictures of everything from his family to flowers/places/things on the outside.
I don't use crayons or markers, I have used colored pens, I stay away from gel pens but that's just me.
But I'm new at this too. Hopefully, others are willing to share their experiences with us. Hope that helps...
That helps, thank you also. I will just play it cautiously. Since we don't have phones yet, I don't want to risk any letters getting sent back or whatever they do. Do you think computer printed pictures are considered pictures, like in the middle of a letter, memes and stuff?
Thanks again and we'll just keep checking back as we learn!!
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Thank you also! That is totally wild that they took the time to rewrite it instead of send it back. Wow.
Some of the women in the Facebook group use colored pencils and kids send art projects.
I'm sure when we get phone I can get more info about his yard rules. Like I said above I just don't want to risk any letters getting delayed or returned as contraband.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you also! That is totally wild that they took the time to rewrite it instead of send it back. Wow.
Some of the women in the Facebook group use colored pencils and kids send art projects.
I'm sure when we get phone I can get more info about his yard rules. Like I said above I just don't want to risk any letters getting delayed or returned as contraband.
I thought color was fine cause thatís what he told me too but then after a few colored letters that he didnít get then the one they rewrote(maybe cause it included a message from our son? Idk) he said only black. So I donít know whatís up with that. Iíll have to try again since heís somewhere new now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAZ View Post
My stepdaughter is in Perryville. They called me 2 weeks ago with my phone approval. The area code was (623). If I remember correctly, the caller ID said something like AZ Government.

It took a week for them to tell my daughter she could call. So expect it to be a few days before you get a call from your LO.

The 2 collect calls I have received from my daughter say IC Solutions and are also (623) area code.
thank you so much for the info. my daughter is in Perryville. they approved me this Monday, June 10 and I got a letter from her about the phone call verification. I have not received a call as of yet . thank you so much for giving me this info. I really appreciate it. have a great rest of you day.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove1 View Post
thank you so much for the info. my daughter is in Perryville. they approved me this Monday, June 10 and I got a letter from her about the phone call verification. I have not received a call as of yet . thank you so much for giving me this info. I really appreciate it. have a great rest of you day.
I'm glad you are approved. How long did it take after your paperwork was through for the final approval for them?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,640 Times in 629 Posts

The area code for the call will be the same one as the location of the prison your loved one is in.

If you set up for your LO to call you collect, ICSolutions has the contract, the same number will appear on your phone when they call you each time.

You can set up your phone account online and put as much or as little on it as you wish. I was surprised that it allowed me to add just $3, Depending on where your telephone number is (my cell phone number is a Tucson number) and where they are in prison, your calls can range from just under $2 to just under $6 for a 15 minute collect call. On the website you can get an estimate of the cost of a call. Once your LO calls you from the prison (not the prison verification call), add that number to your contacts under your LO names. In the future when he/she calls you, then it will come up with their name on your phone.

Art supplies, they have to buy themselves and they have to be approved for them. You can send all the things others have listed and also blank pictures for them to color (like pages from a coloring book; there are lots of simple to complex ones online that you can find to print and send them.

I have never had a problem using colored pens (I often write in purple ink). I have sent pictures made by my granddaughter. No stickers, no sparkles/glitter. Markers can be problematic.

They are allowed to have 40 pictures in their possession per the rules. You can mail that many in one envelope or many envelopes, but you cannot send more than 40 photos in a 30 day period. The rule is they have to dispose of more than 40, but unless the inmates start hanging them up all over the place, mostly that rule is not enforced. (If the inmate, cell block, yard, dorm is a problem for other reasons, then the guards will be more intent on enforcing rules). The DOC doesn't define what a photograph is. If it's inserted in the text in a letter, is that photo? If you create a collage on a standard piece of paper, does it count as 1 or many? If it is printed with a computer (yes, you can do that), does it count as a photo? Is a postcard a photo? Is it only a photograph if it is printed on real photo paper? No one has ever answered those questions officially.

You can send 9x12 envelopes, but no metal clasp. Glue, press and seal, or cut out the metal clasp and tape it close - all work. No stickers on the envelope. (No stickers allowed for anything.) It will most likely take longer to get to your LO when a big envelope and are almost always inspected.

Never any staples, binder clips or paperclips. The rule is no metal of any type as it can be used as a weapon or a needle. Technically, the rule regarding staples doesn't apply to medium and minimum custody, but the mailrooms don't pay attention to that allowance.

They are supposed to notify them when they have received contraband. The inmate then has the option of paying for it to be returned or direct it be destroyed. All contraband mail is supposed to be destroyed by the mail room after 90 days. Make sure you have your name and address on the envelope or it is considered contraband. For safety, also include it somewhere in the contents. I sent a postcard signed it love Mom. It was marked as contraband because it didn't clearly identify the sender, as required. Same rule as to his/her inmate DOC Number.

You can NOT use address labels per the rules. (I did on envelopes and it was never a problem. My LO advised that he never received the envelopes, only the contents, so maybe that is why it didn't get contrabanded in Kingman or Tucson.)

If you send any articles or court orders (for example we sent to inmates copies of the court's order that concerned integration when it was first happening) be sure to black out any names of inmates.

Make sure if you send a book or CD or cassette that it is not from a 3rd party seller (Barnes and Noble marketplace is 3rd party sellers, but Barnes and Nobles itself as the seller is allowed). Nothing from Amazon is permitted (specified in the rules and I believe is the result of there being so many 3rd party sellers over the years that it confused family, friends, and the mailroom).

In the end, despite the rules, like clothing on visitation day, it all comes down to how whoever is working that job. The rules are so open ended, guards interpretations is what you have to deal with.

NOTE: The above is based on my experiences with GEO and the State. I have not specifically dealt with Perryville - so you will have to learn from experience or others what that prison's pet peeves might be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Aa24 (06-17-2019), kari dunn (06-16-2019), SSAZ (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you are approved. How long did it take after your paperwork was through for the final approval for them?
I applied May 9th, and I got approve June 10th. I did everything online. but in the interim, I called the Perryville prison visitation and they told me I was fine and they had my application, but my LO had to visit them with some information. someone here told me that my LO needed to add me to their list. so I continue to write her and made her aware that she missed a process. I think it would have gotten approved a lot sooner if they made her aware of the process on her end. they don't tell the inmates much.

so when I knew that my LO was going to prison, this was the first place I visited and the ppl here are wonderful when it comes to information. I call them AZ fam...lol. I hope that this information helps
The Following User Says Thank You to babylove1 For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 AM

That's great info Liz. I was wondering about larger envelopes. I mailed some coloring and word game pages today. I didn't know that was an option, gives me good ideas of fun stuff to mail.
kari dunn (06-19-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove1 View Post
I applied May 9th, and I got approve June 10th. I did everything online. but in the interim, I called the Perryville prison visitation and they told me I was fine and they had my application, but my LO had to visit them with some information. someone here told me that my LO needed to add me to their list. so I continue to write her and made her aware that she missed a process. I think it would have gotten approved a lot sooner if they made her aware of the process on her end. they don't tell the inmates much.

so when I knew that my LO was going to prison, this was the first place I visited and the ppl here are wonderful when it comes to information. I call them AZ fam...lol. I hope that this information helps
I looked on my calendar. It was 9 days from my approval day until my daughter was given approval and she called. You're approved, so hopefully it will just be a few more days for you.
kari dunn (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Default Director's Orders Leave So Much Information OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
HERE is the link to AZDOC policies

Mail etc falls under Section 914

Property is under 909
I couldn't have URL's before so your message wouldn't quote. Thank you again for your reply, but like I said in my Message I had read the DO's but there's so many details not covered.

I asked about mail here because the DO's don't say anything about mailing of press and seal or sizes of or manilla envelopes - only stickers. They don't talk about using colored pens, pencils while writing letters. Or what constitutes "Art Supplies" that aren't allowed to be included in my letters.

This is all so complicated. Ugh.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I couldn't have URL's before so your message wouldn't quote. Thank you again for your reply, but like I said in my Message I had read the DO's but there's so many details not covered.

I asked about mail here because the DO's don't say anything about mailing of press and seal or sizes of or manilla envelopes - only stickers. They don't talk about using colored pens, pencils while writing letters. Or what constitutes "Art Supplies" that aren't allowed to be included in my letters.

This is all so complicated. Ugh.
You can use press and seal envelopes no problem. They usually dont accept manilla envelopes larger then 8◊10. I've never had a problem using colored inks or paper. Art supplies means anything not a book or CD or securepak which are the only things allowed to be sent from the out side. They must buy thier art supplies from store. They also must have an arts and crafts authorization to buy art supplies. As far as the phraseology of the DO's they are always vague so that it is left up to interpretation of the residing officer in that moment
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleysGirl For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
You can use press and seal envelopes no problem. They usually dont accept manilla envelopes larger then 8◊10. I've never had a problem using colored inks or paper. Art supplies means anything not a book or CD or securepak which are the only things allowed to be sent from the out side. They must buy thier art supplies from store. They also must have an arts and crafts authorization to buy art supplies. As far as the phraseology of the DO's they are always vague so that it is left up to interpretation of the residing officer in that moment
Thanks. I can tell I'm going to really love vagueness. NOT.

And I think I finally understand the art supplies, someone might try to order something art supply, instead of a reading book, from an outside vendor. Makes sense. LOL Thank you.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,640 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
I asked about mail here because the DO's don't say anything about mailing of press and seal or sizes of or manilla envelopes - only stickers.
I actually found the envelope size in their online posted rules/orders when I did my June 16th post, so the 9x12 is what is officially stated. I don't remember the rule number.

The vague rules are so much fun! They were especially frustrating for me - as a paralegal I was used to dealing with laws and contracts which were all very specific. The things the rules are specific on our LOs need to learn; the rest of the rules, they have to figure out which things are the pet peeves at whatever prison they are in and whatever guard is nearby. The sooner they figure it out, the better.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Hi,

(Remember I'm new, LOL)

I've used both kinds and sizes of envelopes. Over the years I've sent origami patterns printed on colored paper, no problems. Items from internet that I've sent: crosswords, sudoku and many other types of puzzles, origami. We send articles cut out of newspaper. If worried, just print something small and insignificant on the outer edge of colored paper supplies. If you concerned that he might not get everything, write on the outside of the envelope how many pages are inside. FYI, one first class stamp will cover 4 pieces of 8.5 x 11 typing paper. I type on both sides of paper. Any color ink should be fine. I also use those address labels bc i'm tired of writing my name and address. He said he gets it all. I'm experienced in writing my son. Sent him 5-6 letters every week for 7 years. Contact with friends and family is paramount.
The Following User Says Thank You to wishmylifeaway For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (07-06-2019)