Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Artistic Corner and Body Art
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Artistic Corner and Body Art Post all Body Art and Artistic + Photographic works in this forum

Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Beach Girl

Lightbulb Making wall art with letters: How do you feel about this? Is it weird?

Hi Ya’ll!
I’m not the craftiest person on the planet... haha. That being said, I keep all our letters and pictures, drawings etc, in a huge organized binder. He collects them in there too. Well, he will be getting out (as early as this year, as late as 3 years from now). I’m thinking about making a large framed collage of all the letters, pictures, etc. We were married this year after going through this odd journey together. Here’s my question:

How do you feel about this? Is it weird? Is it a bad reminder of when they were in prison? I’m debating just doing a nice scrapbook instead (so I have back up ideas). But I thought I’d get ya’ll opinion on this. If you hate this idea but have a better one? Feel free to share! Haha

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,809 Times in 14,068 Posts

While I like the idea in theory, it may bring up some very unpleasant things right out in the open. (for him once released)
So if I was going to do this, I'd opt for the scrapbook idea.

I know my hub wont toss his letters I wrote him, but he wont even look at anything he brought *home* after prison.(nor will he throw it out either)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
mama_pig (01-20-2018), MissStar (01-20-2018), Sarianna (01-20-2018), xolady (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
While I like the idea in theory, it may bring up some very unpleasant things right out in the open. (for him once released)
So if I was going to do this, I'd opt for the scrapbook idea.

I know my hub wont toss his letters I wrote him, but he wont even look at anything he brought *home* after prison.(nor will he throw it out either)

I hear what you’re saying. He always says how appreciative he is of prison. He sees this all as a very miserable but positive experience. Lol but I think you’re right... with a scrapbook he can choose to open it if he wants to as opposed to it being IN HIS FACE on a wall, lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissStar For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-20-2018), sidewalker (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Thanked 2,745 Times in 955 Posts

I think a collage is a bit much. I like the scrapbook idea because you can take it out when you want and it’s not so much in your face. Also you really never know who will be coming over to your house. Do you really want to explain?

I guess I dont really understand the need to reminisce about prison even though we are MWI. Once my LO is out we are making a large fire and burning anything prison related. Letters, pictures, etc. Its not a time we want to remember and just want to build memories moving forward.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
MissStar (01-20-2018), Sarianna (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I think a collage is a bit much. I like the scrapbook idea because you can take it out when you want and it’s not so much in your face. Also you really never know who will be coming over to your house. Do you really want to explain?

I guess I dont really understand the need to reminisce about prison even though we are MWI. Once my LO is out we are making a large fire and burning anything prison related. Letters, pictures, etc. Its not a time we want to remember and just want to build memories moving forward.

I hear you. We are not MWI. We both have really valued Prison, it helped us become a stronger couple and a stronger family. We’re both very grateful for what Prison has done for us and have taught us. (In our situation) We would be fools to forget what we’ve been through.
I don’t have any problem explaining to people. If they’re in our home then we respect them and trust them. They wouldn’t be in our home if we didn’t.

But I think ya’ll are right about the scrapbook! Plus there’s a whole lot more decorating and cutesy stuff I can do in a scrapbook.

I was just hoping for something a bit more unique since the situation we’ve had is unique. BUT a scrapbook is customizable. ❤️

The Following User Says Thank You to MissStar For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 8,991 Times in 3,798 Posts

I think a scrapbook is a good idea then its there when either want to look at it and remember.A collage on the wall may be a bit in your face.
When he comes home you can both move on to a new chapter, cherish your memories keep them safe but move on and make new memories.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
MissStar (01-20-2018), Sarianna (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
I think a scrapbook is a good idea then its there when either want to look at it and remember.A collage on the wall may be a bit in your face.
When he comes home you can both move on to a new chapter, cherish your memories keep them safe but move on and make new memories.

Thanks Maytayah! Scrapbook does keep everything more safe, you’re right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissStar For This Useful Post:
maytayah (01-20-2018), Sarianna (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 PM

I don't know if I would make it into art but I'm collecting all my little visiting forms with my man so I can see how many dates I can get if I in the five years will have each date at least once. silly little game lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgarlick23 For This Useful Post:
MissStar (01-21-2018), Sarianna (01-21-2018), sidewalker (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,103 Posts

I would keep letters in a scrapbook. I would possibly take artwork or cards and make them into something. To display, maybe in the bedroom.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
MissStar (01-23-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I would keep letters in a scrapbook. I would possibly take artwork or cards and make them into something. To display, maybe in the bedroom.
oooh I love my cards with the pretty artwork.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgarlick23 For This Useful Post:
MissStar (01-23-2018)