Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 PM

Default Phone Provider that is accepted at all Federal Prisons for cheaper calls?

My Son is doing time in Federal Prison. I have been using Pigeonly for approx 16 months. I noticed that over Several months Pigeonly making withdrawals from my account for services, etc. That I did not receive or order. I brought this to their attention and the money was returned to my account approx. 2weeks of me notifing them. This happened on several occasions. Again I brought it to their attention. With the same course of action taken. This continues to be a problem only now even more often. Not to mention it causes me problems with my back and other Creditors due to overdrafts due to unavailable funds. Because Pigeonly keeps making withdrawals without notifying me or permission. With all that being said. Is there another Phone Provider that is accepted at all the Federal Prisons. That offer cheaper calls for Family and Inmates?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2020, 07:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

HI and Welcome to PTO. Many people get a burner phone with the area code and 1st 3 numbers of the region of the prison. That way your son will not have to pay long distance. Depending on who your current cell provider is, you might add a burner phone with the same number as your son, or change your number of your primary phone to his region. I'm know nothing about Pigeonly, but it is ridiculous that they have cost you money. I think you can get a pre-paid MasterCard at the grocery store which would inhibit their interference with your main account. But it sounds like you should dump them. If you are a senior citizen, you might find that ATT has a special rate for you.

I'm not sure why no one has answered you, but I'm sure someone with more experience will. It might help if you identify the facility that your son is in, it's not necessary, but it might help.

Last edited by bellisq; 02-23-2020 at 07:31 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (03-13-2020), His_Queen13 (04-26-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:40 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,840 Times in 13,683 Posts

Having a phone number that is a local call from a bop prison reduces the per minute charge paid by the inmate from 21 to 6 cents/min. Any service that is considered to be call forwarding is forbidden by the bop and can result in the loss of all phone use for up to 3 years if detected. Having a cell phone that is assigned a local number (area code and prefix) is not considered call forwarding, but google voice, etc. are.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 AM
He's out!!

I prefer prison connect. I'm charged $4.99 for the number. My friend is charged 90 cents for 15 minutes. He's in federal prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to BearsLadyBear For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (02-25-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Having a phone number that is a local call from a bop prison reduces the per minute charge paid by the inmate from 21 to 6 cents/min. Any service that is considered to be call forwarding is forbidden by the bop and can result in the loss of all phone use for up to 3 years if detected. Having a cell phone that is assigned a local number (area code and prefix) is not considered call forwarding, but google voice, etc. are.
While my husband and I have agreed to do things the traditional way as far as phone calls and not even risk any 3rd party things the funny thing is he has literally received "ads" for Phone Donkey delivered to him in prison. I find that disturbing since the BOP continues to state in their "rules" that no 3rd party services are to be used. But then again we know how they follow their own rules.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

I have also heard rumors that the bop allows some call forwarding services, probably the ones that pay them a commission/kickback, but I was unable to confirm it.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I have also heard rumors that the bop allows some call forwarding services, probably the ones that pay them a commission/kickback, but I was unable to confirm it.
Of course because the BOP doesn't do anything productive for the inmates that they don't benefit in some way.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:10 AM

Default Phone system for Sheridan fdc

What phone system do they use at FDC Sheraton...
Old 03-19-2020, 04:37 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Inmate calls at bop owned prisons are made through the ITS (Inmate telephone system). The inmate is charged 6 cents/min for calls that are within each prison's local calling range, or 21 cents/min for other "long distance" calls. If you have a local phone number, cell phones too, that is NOT call forwarding (area code and prefix), the inmate pays 15 cents per minute less.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Google voice but you are taking a chance since it can be considered call forwarding though if you use the app it may not be forwarding. I used it for a couple years(forwarding) without issue
Old 03-20-2020, 02:20 PM

Currently my loved one is in Pahrump Nevada, Nevada southern detention center, which is a holding spot for federal inmates. Does anybody know what to do about the phone system, you can do a prepaid account under a IC solutions and there service is very spotty. Half the time he can’t get through, and the phone won’t even ring. I’ve talked to the company several times and all they say is they will put an investigation on the account. So my daughter set up an account and now it’s doing it to her number also. It’s like they take our money and then now the calls aren’t going through?
Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayswaiting62 View Post
Currently my loved one is in Pahrump Nevada, Nevada southern detention center, which is a holding spot for federal inmates. Does anybody know what to do about the phone system, you can do a prepaid account under a IC solutions and there service is very spotty. Half the time he canít get through, and the phone wonít even ring. Iíve talked to the company several times and all they say is they will put an investigation on the account. So my daughter set up an account and now itís doing it to her number also. Itís like they take our money and then now the calls arenít going through?
Check out Phone donkey! It gives you a local number, so when hubby calls, itís to this local number instead and our minutes last a lot longer!! I pay $13/month for two lines.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:45 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

The federal prisons (at least in bop owned prisons) corona virus plan includes 500 free phone minutes per month. Now all the prisoners need is to get access to the telephones to make the calls.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:07 PM

I'm in the UK, my guy is in fci mendota. I pay Skype $7 a month for a mendota phone number and he calls that. Never had a problem so far ����
The Following User Says Thank You to Saintly For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-06-2020)